Garmin Oregon 300 vs. Oregon 450

Just got my 450 from Amazon for $376. Love it

Better to go with the nex x5x series as there will be more support and new features added that they wont add to the older x00 series

You wont be sorry

Works great with Geocache GPX files and free Topo and OSM routable maps

No need to spend more for the 450T

Also the Play Anywhere "Wherigo" games are cool. The 300 wont have that

Why do you think the x00 will not get more updates?

I sent an email to Garmin's tech support asking about the x00 Oregon not getting the last couple firmware releases while the x50 has. They told me that the x00 Oregon has been discontinued. I will dig out the email if you want.

There have been more signs the last couple of days that the x00 series is going to be discontinued in the near future. It will still be supported but if that is the case, the x50 series may indeed see more improvements via firmware updates.

To elaborate, since it's a new product, the x50 series may NEED more improvements. Garmin's not likely to abandon users of older products as long as it can sell them maps.

I sent an email to Garmin's tech support asking about the x00 Oregon not getting the last couple firmware releases while the x50 has. They told me that the x00 Oregon has been discontinued. I will dig out the email if you want.

I think several of us here on the forums, myself included, have learned not to believe everything we hear from a Garmin tech support person. I am really skeptical Garmin would discontinue any unit in the Colorado, Oregon, or Dakota line at this point. All of them are new units (relatively speaking), and all of them appear to be selling well enough to keep them on the shelves.

--Larry

Why do you think the x00 will not get more updates?

I've seen similar emails about this, but discontinue does not equal not supported. It means "we are making no more units". Garmin support has stated (other threads on here) that they may release future updates for the x00 units if they are not dependent on the new x5x hardware and well, if they decide they want to.

I think several of us here on the forums, myself included, have learned not to believe everything we hear from a Garmin tech support person. I am really skeptical Garmin would discontinue any unit in the Colorado, Oregon, or Dakota line at this point. All of them are new units (relatively speaking), and all of them appear to be selling well enough to keep them on the shelves.

While I agree with the first part of your post, from the closeout prices on the x00 series in many stores, I think what's happening is that Garmin has discontinued the x00 (at least for the 300 and 400t) but delayed the official announcement to help retailers clear their stock.

While I agree with the first part of your post, from the closeout prices on the x00 series in many stores, I think what's happening is that Garmin has discontinued the x00 (at least for the 300 and 400t) but delayed the official announcement to help retailers clear their stock.

Based on what I'm seeing now, you may be correct. I had been under the impression those models were going strong, but Garmin seems to have other plans in mind.

--Larry