National Trust and Geocaches.

Anyone know if there's a simple way of displaying a map showing National Trust owned land (MAGIC maps do that, OS ones really don't do it at all well) with Geocache locations overlaid?

I'm currently doing it with Memory Map (with a cache overlay) and MAGIC side by side, but it's a bit of a pain.

I'm just working on some ideas for a caching trail with our local NT Warden.

OS do it perfectly well - it's surrounded by a purple border :anicute:

Sorry, have been doing *a lot* of OS map work recently, and it seems an easy answer to me B) Not your fault, it's just information overload causing a grudge against it to develop!

The OS certainly don't show all NT managed land or land leased to the NT.

Going of the experience of gaining usage of MAGIC, I'd guess that the OS shows between half and .75 of all NT land.

Google Earth is a good tool to use, you can quickly add the boundaries and save them as a filter. Then you have the ability to import a gpx file showing all local caches.

Alternatively if the local NT management, have no objections to the UK Reviewers having access to the data. If they provide a shape file of the boundaries, Graculus can provide a GE Overlay in KML format. All that would then be needed is the gpx file.

Personally not having MM, I use GE when Reviewing caches. It's valuable when caches have a Major barrier between them, as by using the ruler tool set to Path. I can measure the shortest possible Traversable route between the 2 points

[by traversable that means the shortest possible bush whacking route to any crossing over the barrier (Bridge/Tunnel/Crossing) over and then to the other waypoint. Not to the nearest road or path and follow that]

Deci

My apologies for not making myself clear. I was looking for a map that would show ALL National Trust managed land with an overlay to show ALL geocaches.

Even the latest OS map I can buy in a shop only shows about 50% (if that) of NT property. MAGIC maps shows an awful lot more NT property, so I'm assuming it's way more up to date.

Anyways, I've managed to find out what I was looking for using a combination of the above maps, but if anyone could come up with a way of showing Geocaches on top of MAGIC mapping that would be amazingly useful.

As far as I know from using MAGIC it is as up to date as it can be based on the digital mapping that organisations provide them with. I don't think the OS maps are out of date as such, they probably just don't have the latest data.

You can save the view of MAGIC as a GIF image and then import it into Google Earth - have to resize it around to get it lined up and you can set the image transparency but it works. Then just put another overlay on of the caches.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

My apologies for not making myself clear. I was looking for a map that would show ALL National Trust managed land with an overlay to show ALL geocaches.

Ah right, no probs :blink: Sorry I couldn't be of more help! Good luck with working this out though, and do let us know how you get on :)

Going of the experience of gaining usage of MAGIC, I'd guess that the OS shows between half and .75 of all NT land.

Google Earth is a good tool to use, you can quickly add the boundaries and save them as a filter. Then you have the ability to import a gpx file showing all local caches.

Alternatively if the local NT management, have no objections to the UK Reviewers having access to the data. If they provide a shape file of the boundaries, Graculus can provide a GE Overlay in KML format. All that would then be needed is the gpx file.

Personally not having MM, I use GE when Reviewing caches. It's valuable when caches have a Major barrier between them, as by using the ruler tool set to Path. I can measure the shortest possible Traversable route between the 2 points

[by traversable that means the shortest possible bush whacking route to any crossing over the barrier (Bridge/Tunnel/Crossing) over and then to the other waypoint. Not to the nearest road or path and follow that]

Deci

And in laymen terms? ............ :)

just being a Royal Pain! :blink:

Deci

And in laymen terms? ............ :(

just being a Royal Pain! ;)

Ok as simple as possible :( just for you :D

you have 2 caches on opposite sides of a canal, facing each other. One at the end of a lane (A) and the other on the tow path (D). There is a bridge crossing the canal 50m away. you have 2 routes between the caches

Your starting point is (A)

i: You travel back up the lane for 50m, turn on to the road at the beginning of the lane and follow it for 50m. You then turn on to the road leading to the bridge, and travel 50m to the bridge. Then you cross the bridge which is 10m. Turn on to the tow path and travel the 50m to the cache.

You've travelled 50m+50m+50m+10m+50m=210m so taking a extended detour. However there is a second route

ii: From (A) you bushwack along the canals edge for 50m to the bridge. Then you cross the bridge which is 10m. Turn on to the tow path and travel the 50m to the cache.

You've travelled 50m+10m+50m=110m, and have not taken a extended detour, as that distance is bellow the Guideline distance of 161m.

On Reviewing the cache and seeing the 2 options, ii is the one which counts when Reviewing the cache. As it's the shortest Traversable Distance between the 2 caches.

That's a very simplified version, actual caches might have 5 or 6 different points where a change of direction is made. But the most important point is that if it's possible to travel less than 161m to another cache, whatever the barrier between the 2 there is a high chance the cache will not be published.

Deci