Please stop auto editing my posts!

Avernar

then again, does it really make a difference in gpx files? aren't xml tags supposed to be case insensitive?

Not the point. The fact that it's also done in code blocks worries me. When I post a script or something in a code block, it needs to be unmolested or who knows what unknown bugs will be introduced. Apparently there's other words that are altered.

The only words that are filtered are profanity and common misspellings of "geocache" and "geocaching.com". We also filter for Groundspeak, Wherigo, and now Waymarking (Thanks MaliBooBoo! :) ).

Hopefully this knowledge gives you some comfort.

I added a filter for one other term but you won't have to worry about it coming up in a block of code. It'll probably never be needed but you never know.

Hey, Nate... thanks for the explanation, but do you suppose you could also add "Nosechad" and convert it automatically to "Knowschad"? I know that it hasn't happened yet, but it will. Its just a matter of time. While you're at it, you might also want to add "KnowsShad". Just a thought. Thanks. I will return the favor.

Knowschad.

Nate, don't let Nochads make more work for you.

"Nochads", too, if you don't mind. Thanks, GOF... I would have missed that one.

<Testing >

Groundspeak (entered in all lower case)

Groundspeak (entered in all upper case)

Groundspeak (lower case "g", rest upper case)

nosechad

nochads

knowsschad

</testing>

They did post a disclaimer;

"Copyright © 2000-2010 Groundspeak, Inc. All Rights Reserved."

Welcome to the internet, or is that Internets?

That's not a disclaimer and I have not signed away the copyright to anything I wrote to anyone. While Groundspeak does have a license to use and modify my posts, that's not what they said they would do (see below).

Back to my original point, from the guidelines:

11. Any messages you post in these discussion forums will remain available to the public for as long as this discussion board is online. Once you have posted your message, it will stay online. Please post carefully and with due consideration to the content of your post. We will not edit the content you wrote unless it does not conform to the forum guidelines. In the unlikely even that we do edit your post and you do not like the changes, we can delete the message at your request.

The said they weren't going to edit my posts if I followed the guidelines.

You can always opt out for the last part of that and have them delete your post is you don't like it.

Edited by Keith Watson

Of course, now that you've quoted portions of those previous threads, they become a part of your own copyrighted forum post, you lucky guy, you!

Ah, but lets not forget, if you quote somebody and just post something like

Of course, now that you've quoted portions of those previous threads, they become a part of your own copyrighted forum post, you lucky guy, you!

Gerflixal rab!

Or something sensible but seemingly unrelated without an explanation that causes relation and then try to profit from it, you will be violating Intellectual Copyright.

Excuse me? I do indeed own the copyright to everything I write on this site.

And Groundspeak acknowledges that fact. From the Terms of Use Agreement:

6. License to Use Submissions

All comments, articles, tutorials, screenshots, pictures, graphics, tools, downloads, and all other materials submitted to Groundspeak in connection with the Site or available through the Site (collectively, "Submissions") remain the property and copyright of the original author. If You submit Submissions to Groundspeak, You must adhere to any applicable submission guidelines that may be posted from time to time on the Site. By submitting any Submission to Groundspeak, You grant Groundspeak a worldwide, non-exclusive, transferable, perpetual, irrevocable, fully-paid royalty-free license and right to use, reproduce, distribute, import, broadcast, transmit, modify and create derivative works of, license, offer to sell, and sell, rent, lease or lend copies of, publicly display and publicly perform that Submission for any purpose and without restriction or obligation to You.

:D

You really have to add smilies if you're going to kid around like this on the internet. There are some people that may be gullible to assume you're not kidding or gullible yourself.

However, since we're just having fun here, please look at what I bolded in your quote. Kind of a pain when you don't read through things you agree to, ain't it?

You can always opt out for the last part of that and have them delete your post is you don't like it.

Yeah, I noticed that part. :D

Like I said, I'm not complaining that they did it as they have every right to do it. It's that they didn't tell us they were doing it. It's that poor communication thing rearing it's ugly head again.

Yeah, I noticed that part. :(

Like I said, I'm not complaining that they did it as they have every right to do it. It's that they didn't tell us they were doing it. It's that poor communication thing rearing it's ugly head again.

I hardly put this is the same boat as major site changes that bring the site to its knees. You are just pulling our legs, aren't you? :D

You really have to add smilies if you're going to kid around like this on the internet. There are some people that may be gullible to assume you're not kidding or gullible yourself.

However, since we're just having fun here, please look at what I bolded in your quote. Kind of a pain when you don't read through things you agree to, ain't it?

I'm aware of the bolded text. My original post was just a rant. I was not expecting them to stop. I was just annoyed that it's not mentioned anywhere.

The reason there were no smilies in my other posts is because I was not kidding. Things like this can cause a lot of lost time for someone. For me it was only a few minutes until I figured out I wasn't going crazy and did put that text in lower case. But what if that happened inside a script I posted for someone and caused a hard to diagnose bug?

I was also not kidding about the copyright thing. While some third party ripping off my forum posts and cache logs wouldn't cause me too much grief, the pictures I post to the site are a different story.

I hardly put this is the same boat as major site changes that bring the site to its knees. You are just pulling our legs, aren't you? :D

About it being as bad as some of the PQ issues? Yeah, I'm not being serious about that. :(

But I am being serious about it not being mentioned anywhere. One line in the forum guidelines is not much to ask for. Now that I know about it I can work around it: groudspeak. I just wish it wouldn't mess with stuff in code blocks.

I'm aware of the bolded text. My original post was just a rant. I was not expecting them to stop. I was just annoyed that it's not mentioned anywhere.

The reason there were no smilies in my other posts is because I was not kidding. Things like this can cause a lot of lost time for someone. For me it was only a few minutes until I figured out I wasn't going crazy and did put that text in lower case. But what if that happened inside a script I posted for someone and caused a hard to diagnose bug?

I was also not kidding about the copyright thing. While some third party ripping off my forum posts and cache logs wouldn't cause me too much grief, the pictures I post to the site are a different story.

Let me see if I have this right. You are actually ranting about an undocumented feature that does you no harm and want it changed.

Edited by Keith Watson

then again, does it really make a difference in gpx files? aren't xml tags supposed to be case insensitive?

Not the point. The fact that it's also done in code blocks worries me. When I post a script or something in a code block, it needs to be unmolested or who knows what unknown bugs will be introduced. Apparently there's other words that are altered.

The only words that are filtered are profanity and common misspellings of "geocache" and "geocaching.com". We also filter for Groundspeak, Wherigo, and now Waymarking (Thanks MaliBooBoo! :D ).

I added a filter for one other term but you won't have to worry about it coming up in a block of code. It'll probably never be needed but you never know.

Hey, Nate... thanks for the explanation, but do you suppose you could also add "Nosechad" and convert it automatically to "Knowschad"? I know that it hasn't happened yet, but it will. Its just a matter of time. While you're at it, you might also want to add "KnowsShad". Just a thought. Thanks. I will return the favor.

Knowschad.

<Testing >

nosechad

nochads

knowsschad

</testing>

No problem buddy. I hear they are working on a new prosthetic chad.

The only words that are filtered are profanity and common misspellings of "geocache" and "geocaching.com". We also filter for Groundspeak, Wherigo, and now Waymarking (Thanks MaliBooBoo! :D ).

Knowschad.

<Testing >

nosechad

nochads

knowsschad

</testing>

No problem buddy. I hear they are working on a new prosthetic chad.

I hear ya. They fixed every one of their own issues, as far as I can tell, while totally ignoring mine. I'm thinking about not renewing my plat... uh, premium membership.

I hardly put this is the same boat as major site changes that bring the site to its knees. You are just pulling our legs, aren't you? :)

About it being as bad as some of the PQ issues? Yeah, I'm not being serious about that. :)

But I am being serious about it not being mentioned anywhere. One line in the forum guidelines is not much to ask for. Now that I know about it I can work around it: groudspeak. I just wish it wouldn't mess with stuff in code blocks.

I've been having some fun with your post, obviously, but seriously... I can't even imagine how or why you even NOTICED that correction much less why it would bother you enough to raise an eyebrow... and yet you actually took the time to not only start a thread about it, but to maintain that thread?!? :(:(;):):)

Like... why? :D

I hardly put this is the same boat as major site changes that bring the site to its knees. You are just pulling our legs, aren't you? :)

About it being as bad as some of the PQ issues? Yeah, I'm not being serious about that. :)

I've been having some fun with your post, obviously, but seriously... I can't even imagine how or why you even NOTICED that correction much less why it would bother you enough to raise an eyebrow... and yet you actually took the time to not only start a thread about it, but to maintain that thread?!? :(;):):):)

Like... why? :(

I think it was too much ice cream. :D

I've been having some fun with your post, obviously, but seriously... I can't even imagine how or why you even NOTICED that correction much less why it would bother you enough to raise an eyebrow... and yet you actually took the time to not only start a thread about it, but to maintain that thread?!? :(:(;):):)

Like... why? :D

The OP probably wrote some code within the code blocks, and due to the auto-formatting on these forums it changed the way Groundspeak was written. As most code languages are case-sensitive, Groundspeak with a capital G is not the same as Groundspeak with a lower-case G, so it fluffs up the script/programme which was written. When writing code for another forum user - say, someone wanted help with a particular script for Greasemonkey or something - and the script includes the variable Groundspeak in lower-case, the user being helped will just copy-paste the code with the incorrect case and won't have a running script: a nightmare for the developer.

Of course, the solution is not to include a variable or word called "Groundspeak" within your script. Tricky, though, when the GPX schema uses <Groundspeak:bla> (in lower-case, obviously).... :)

Edited by tiiiim
Groundspeak.com, navicache.com, terracaching.com

no respect for the competition! :D:)

You're new here. At one time any mention of navicaching would completely block a post from showing at all.

I think there is now much more respect.

I will attempt to lighten the mood with an amusing Navicache antedote. All mentions were blocked in the forums, due mainly to since banned user Upinyachit's antics. It was probably a banned word from 2003-2005.

Fast forward to 2007. TPTB also blocked the use of the word Navicache in the "email another player" feature, and forgot about it. A cacher, who will remain nameless (but think Pittsburgh, Pa.) archived his 40 or so listings in protest, and listed them all on Navicache. So of course he's getting all kinds of email inquiries through the email another player feature asking what's up, and notices that "Navicache" is completely edited out emails.

So he starts a forum thread, and everyone thinks the guy is wearing a tin foil hat. TPTB obviously saw the thread and fixed the problem, but didn't say anything. So forum participants are trying it, and of course it works. Now they really think the guy is wearing a tin foil hat.

OK, that's all I got.

Let me see if I have this right. You are actually ranting about an undocumented feature that does you no harm and want it changed.

No, I'm complaining it wasn't documented anywhere in the forum guidelines. And in code blocks it's not a feature, it's a bug.

groundsрeak
AWESOME!!! How did you do that? Special powers?

groundspеak

whеrigo

wаymarking

knowschad

nosechad

It's one of the benefits of the platinum membership.

Actually, it can be done by substituting one or more letters with a different unicode character. When you type an 'a' on your keyboard, you are typing unicode character 0061. In the text above I replaced the 'a' in 'Waymarking' (that one will be capitalized) with unicode character 0430, which is not an 'a' but looks strikingly similar. I then used character 0435 in place of the e's in the other two words. If you fire up MS Word and use the insert>symbol command (or whatever the equivalent is) you can browse around until you find characters which look very much like the latin alphabet but are actually not.

I've been having some fun with your post, obviously, but seriously... I can't even imagine how or why you even NOTICED that correction much less why it would bother you enough to raise an eyebrow... and yet you actually took the time to not only start a thread about it, but to maintain that thread?!? :D:blink:B):blink::blink:

I review my larger posts for spelling mistakes and phrases that are worded badly. I started the thread because I was a little annoyed. I'm still participating in the thread because I like a good debate. :)

Actually, it can be done by substituting one or more letters with a different unicode character. When you type an 'a' on your keyboard, you are typing unicode character 0061. In the text above I replaced the 'a' in 'Waymarking' (that one will be capitalized) with unicode character 0430, which is not an 'a' but looks strikingly similar. I then used character 0435 in place of the e's in the other two words. If you fire up MS Word and use the insert>symbol command (or whatever the equivalent is) you can browse around until you find characters which look very much like the latin alphabet but are actually not.

I was using the normal ascii values but you're way survives a preview. Nice.

it can be done by substituting one or more letters with a different unicode character.

A text editor (such as MS Word) could be set up to auto-correct certain words, using that substitution. It doesn't really address the issue, and for a code snippet, makes the problem a whole lot worse. But it's fun to play around with. :)

Just highlight the letter and set the color to black. Win.

But I'm not one to gossip, so you didn't hear that from me.

but that's gonna make it look ugly when quoted, because then the text isn't supposed to be black any more :)

OpinioNate that is an elegant solution, if you just want to force lowercase in normal postings. I say why bother, it will give a grammar snob more ammo if you do.

Now when put it in a code box...

[color=#000000]g[/color]roundspeak

it no longer works.

And that is an issue

Groundspeak

Groundspeak

I'm surprised that &#103;roundspeak doesn't show up in the code block.

You can't sign away a copyright you don't own anyway.

Excuse me? I do indeed own the copyright to everything I write on this site.

And Groundspeak acknowledges that fact. From the Terms of Use Agreement:

6. License to Use Submissions

All comments, articles, tutorials, screenshots, pictures, graphics, tools, downloads, and all other materials submitted to Groundspeak in connection with the Site or available through the Site (collectively, "Submissions") remain the property and copyright of the original author. If You submit Submissions to Groundspeak, You must adhere to any applicable submission guidelines that may be posted from time to time on the Site. By submitting any Submission to Groundspeak, You grant Groundspeak a worldwide, non-exclusive, transferable, perpetual, irrevocable, fully-paid royalty-free license and right to use, reproduce, distribute, import, broadcast, transmit, modify and create derivative works of, license, offer to sell, and sell, rent, lease or lend copies of, publicly display and publicly perform that Submission for any purpose and without restriction or obligation to You.

Wow.... all this over an upper case "G"?

over an uppercase g between [code] & [/code]

compilers and macros see G and g as being two different letters.

So next we're going to be saying that ʞɐədspunoɹƃ shouldn't be converting my entered text " : D " and changing it to :D

Maybe they shouldn't.

What if you where taught that the proper way to do an inline lettered list is by putting them into parentheses?

(a) item (:blink: item © item (d) item

upper case is no better

(A) item (B) item © item (D) item

(ˈā) I failed a test because I didn't use them (cool) some message boards force me not to (copyright) I find this particularly stupid because 5 keystrokes are being used to replace 5 keystrokes (ˈdē) somebody showed how not clever they are by trying to be clever and neglecting common usage.

Of course none of that is Groundspeak's fault.

I surprised you don't end up with Groundspeak® every time ya type the name. :)

So next we're going to be saying that ʞɐədspunoɹƃ shouldn't be converting my entered text " : D " and changing it to :D

Simple... just uncheck "Enable emoticons?" when submitting your post.

Now we just need the "Automatically capitalize Groundspeak's trademarked names?" checkbox. :)

Edited by DavidMac

here's a suggestion for those pesky code blocks. write all your code like this, and you won't have any problems with anything auto-editing your posts.

.									 _					  _	
.	  __ _ _ __ ___  _   _ _ __   __| |___ _ __   ___  __ _| | __
.	 / _` | '__/ _ \| | | | '_ \ / _` / __| '_ \ / _ \/ _` | |/ /
.	| (_| | | | (_) | |_| | | | | (_| \__ \ |_) |  __/ (_| |   < 
.	 \__, |_|  \___/ \__,_|_| |_|\__,_|___/ .__/ \___|\__,_|_|\_\
.	 |___/								|_|					

groundsрeak

Now I have to go back and find out what the original question was. Or not. :wub:

I think it was about dogs wearing sunglasses. Wait, maybe that was a different topic.

An off topic post from a moderator? Er, wait, you review my caches.... I mean, dogs with sunglasses rock! :grin:

Is "Groundspeak" a registered trademark? I looked around the site but didn't see any. Travel Bug® however is a registered trade mark. And you can insert the r in circle by typing (r)

The logo at the top of every forum page includes the ® symbol. "The Language of Location" and several other catchy phrases throughout the site are trademarked too.

gs.gif

roundspeak also owns Registered Trademarks for the "Groundspeak" word mark, "Language of Location" word mark, "Travel Bug" word mark and the Travel Bug logo. Other Trademarks of Groundspeak include the CITO Logo, Tech + Nature logo, "Tech + Nature" word mark, "Signal the Frog" word mark, and others.

edit to add a source for the above quote.

Edited by DavidMac

Now when put it in a code box...

[color=#000000]g[/color]roundspeak

it no longer works.

And that is an issue

Doh! :wub:

I'm surprised that &#103;roundspeak doesn't show up in the code block.

Actually it does. It's you're browser that's doing the substitution to the letter g.