ACKKK! Its contagious!

Thanks a lot Vegas!! Now here we are... in the middle of the toolies... and my mailbox is full of publishing notices for a power trail from El Reno to Red Rock Canyon. 78 published so far, all but three are micros.

And I thought there would never be a threat of one showing up on my fifty mile search.

Starting with Red Rock Run #1 GC24RCN. :) Bummer dude! That like totally harshes my mellow.

edit to add- and here I am kvetching in another thread over one single puzzle cache. ;)

Edited by NeecesandNephews
Thanks a lot Vegas!! Now here we are... in the middle of the toolies... and my mailbox is full of publishing notices for a power trail from El Reno to Red Rock Canyon. 79 published so far, all but three are micros.

And I thought there would never be a threat of one showing up on my fifty mile search.

Starting with Red Rock Run #1 GC24RCN. :) Bummer dude! That like totally harshes my mellow.

edit to add- and here I am kvetching in another thread over one single puzzle cache. ;)

Very sorry to hear that your mellow has been harshed. That must be worse than hiking with an ingrown toenail. So... when are you gonna go clear them out? We've heard you Oakies complain too many times about not having enough caches. No more complaining, OK? That would like totally harsh my mellow. ;)

Ironic isn't it?? Like tragic ironic I mean. In my puzzle question thread I just today posted that there were only 213 caches in a 50 mile radius. Why do they all have to be micros?? If I wasn't a micro hater I may soon become one!! ;):);)

I'm totally going to do a power trail now. It's all the rage.

I just have to scrounge up a few hundred gray film containers and I'm good to go.

Ironic isn't it?? Like tragic ironic I mean. In my puzzle question thread I just today posted that there were only 213 caches in a 50 mile radius. Why do they all have to be micros?? If I wasn't a micro hater I may soon become one!! :);):)
Don't become a size hater. Become a lame hater. (OK, "lame hater" is a mite ambiguous, but you get the idea, I'm sure ;) )

Hey, 78 caches all along the road? Go get 'em all on Saturday. Easy. You'll be home by dinner if you get started at sunrise.

Ironic isn't it?? Like tragic ironic I mean. In my puzzle question thread I just today posted that there were only 213 caches in a 50 mile radius. Why do they all have to be micros?? If I wasn't a micro hater I may soon become one!! ;):);)

I just have to scrounge up a few hundred gray film containers and I'm good to go.

I offered KC a 30 gallon trash can of them from Walgreens if he would make his nationwide cross-country trail come through Oklahoma. I am already looking for the kerosene, as I have changed my mind! :)

You could just give their coordinates to those college kids you mentioned elsewhere... :)

Just KIDDING of course!

Doug

Come on, be creative. Make it puzzles. Each cache has the coords for the next one. It could be a large multi, but a puzzle trail would be better with a logsheet in each one. You could arrange the question marks any way you want. Make a giant happy face. Later, change all the coords so it is a frowny (depending on your mood) :)

You could just give their coordinates to those college kids you mentioned elsewhere... B)

Just KIDDING of course!

Doug

My kind of guy!!!! :D Better yet I could offer Nelson a buck each to come "collect" them. Just kidding......maybe.

Hey, 78 caches all along the road? Go get 'em all on Saturday. Easy. You'll be home by dinner if you get started at sunrise.

That is totally do-able!! Then I wouldn't look quite like such a noob!! :)

I guess it's not really my problem, since I don't live there, but this section bothers me a little...This sounds an awful lot like an ALR. It says if you write more than name and date your log will be deleted??

Please bring your own writing stick to sign logs. When signing logs, please sign only the date and your geoname to leave room for future geocashers. Abusing logs will get your log deleted. Please post any fun stories, or how long it took you to go cache to cache to completing the run. Each cache is the same type of container, excepted for three caches. These three containers are COMMENTCACHES, inside of each is a notebook in which you can write anystories, adventures you had along the way, or just anything you like to note about. Travel bugs and coins can also be traded in the comment caches. Please post as many pictures you have taken on the comment caches logs, I will also publish them randomly on the different Red Rock Run caches.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT
I guess it's not really my problem, since I don't live there, but this section bothers me a little...This sounds an awful lot like an ALR. It says if you write more than name and date your log will be deleted??

Please bring your own writing stick to sign logs. When signing logs, please sign only the date and your geoname to leave room for future geocashers. Abusing logs will get your log deleted. Please post any fun stories, or how long it took you to go cache to cache to completing the run. Each cache is the same type of container, excepted for three caches. These three containers are COMMENTCACHES, inside of each is a notebook in which you can write anystories, adventures you had along the way, or just anything you like to note about. Travel bugs and coins can also be traded in the comment caches. Please post as many pictures you have taken on the comment caches logs, I will also publish them randomly on the different Red Rock Run caches.

Wrut-Wroh as Wrastro would say!!! I am sure she meant the cache logs, so she is already trying to cut down on maintenance. I would like to see an online log deleted for "abusing" the cache logs!! This one has trouble written on every page!!

Hey!!! I could write a novel on each log and then post a NM on each one!!! ;)

I'm SOOO not impressed with this one...I'll bet there will be plenty of hassles with neighbors wanting to know what we're doing on(the edge of) their property, Caches on both sides of the road(having to cross all the time), First Cache says "buy stuff here", Can't write more than your name/date, under threat of log deletion. Errors all over the Cache write ups...I don't think this looks like a very good implementation od the powertrail concept. Count me out.

Please do, Portland is much closer than the others we have argued over.

So you're saying the only reason people find these type of caches and power trails is to clear them off of a list? Here I thought people found these type of caches because they liked them. At least that's what I've been told.

Of course I'm kidding.

We had a series like this in our area. Even before ignore lists, I found quick ways to "ignore" them.

Ironic isn't it?? Like tragic ironic I mean. In my puzzle question thread I just today posted that there were only 213 caches in a 50 mile radius. Why do they all have to be micros?? If I wasn't a micro hater I may soon become one!! :anicute:B)B)

Come on, be creative. Make it puzzles. Each cache has the coords for the next one. It could be a large multi, but a puzzle trail would be better with a logsheet in each one. You could arrange the question marks any way you want. Make a giant happy face. Later, change all the coords so it is a frowny (depending on your mood) B)

No, I was thinking of doing a power trail where there is no trail. Bushwhack 10 miles placing a cache every 1/10 of a mile until the trail ends at the edge of a cliff so the only option is to bushwhack all the way back.

Or just follow the powerline road that I used to ride on... Or both...

Yeah, that's the ticket...

I would have never noticed that. Wow, can definitely be considered borderline ALR with log deletion threat territory. But the cache owner wasn't even around when ALR's were allowed.

This thread is way too negative, I'm outta here before someone thinks I'm a hata. :anicute:

Ironic isn't it?? Like tragic ironic I mean. In my puzzle question thread I just today posted that there were only 213 caches in a 50 mile radius. Why do they all have to be micros?? If I wasn't a micro hater I may soon become one!! :anicute:B)B)

Come on, be creative. Make it puzzles. Each cache has the coords for the next one. It could be a large multi, but a puzzle trail would be better with a logsheet in each one. You could arrange the question marks any way you want. Make a giant happy face. Later, change all the coords so it is a frowny (depending on your mood) B)

No, I was thinking of doing a power trail where there is no trail. Bushwhack 10 miles placing a cache every 1/10 of a mile until the trail ends at the edge of a cliff so the only option is to bushwhack all the way back.

I like the idea of going 1/4 mile north of the "Trail of the Gods" and running parallel to it. That would be some tough terrain

i agree with robert on the poor implementation statements. if you're gonna do it do it right, dont put out a bunch and say well i dont plan on maintaining these and if anyone wants to help go ahead. sure dropping a fresh baggie or log is a nice thing for people to do... but.... on the other hand, after having been out on those red dirt roads this would give me something to pass the time while watching the wheat fields go by. we'll see how it all turns out.

It wouldn't be true mockery unless you made several of them 2 part multis with the first part being the normal crappy film can that had soft coords for a nano buried under a pile of leaves somewhere for the final. Put one in a bear den. Another in a pile of pig poo. hang a few 15 feet in the air from a pine tree branch. That's a real power trail spoof.

Ya, that's the ticket

SPOOOOOOOOOOON!

You are trying to combine two things that are not compatible:
  • A request: Please be considerate of future finders when signing the paper log
  • A maintenance requirement: Abusive logs will be deleted.

There is no ALR here.

I think an argument could be made for both sides.

While the wording on the cache page doesn't mesh smoothly with what we've been told is an ALR, (some additional task which must be completed after the find), the wording is pretty worrisome. Attempting to dictate what someone writes on a logbook sheet, with threats of deletion, reeks of future Groundspeak intervention. If I found it, wrote the requisite name & date, followed by the TFTC acronym, would that be an abuse of the log? According to the cache owner, it would be, and my log would be deleted. Since the find itself would not be in question, would such a deletion be warranted? Could forcing other players to write what you, (generic "you"), deem proper on a cache log sheet be considered an ALR? It seems that it could. :anicute:

There is no ALR here.

You're confusing two potentially different things- abusing logs and abusive logs. While an abusive log could very well be an abuse of a log, "abusing a log" could also caused by some act that has yet to be defined by the CO. Taking the entire text into scope, it seems that writing anything more than name and date is what the CO means by "abusing a log".

I understand that the CO is trying conserve space on their micro logs, but I hardly think it warrants threatening log deletion nor is the length of the physical log mentioned in terms of maximum size in the guidelines.

EDIT: But I don't think that the request/demand is an ALR either.

Edited by Castle Mischief

There is no ALR here.

Yeah, that's kind of confusing there. Do they really mean more than your name and date is an "abusive log"? The linked cache was published, retracted, and published again 3 days later. Perhaps it was over a more zealous log deletion threat? Just speculation, of course.

Caches were published by General Disarray. Does this mean Professor Chaos is a reviewer too? B)

I think everyone finding them should follow the example set by the CO, and just log them all like so :anicute:

Yeah, that's kind of confusing there. Do they really mean more than your name and date is an "abusive log"? The linked cache was published, retracted, and published again 3 days later. Perhaps it was over a more zealous log deletion threat? Just speculation, of course.

Okay, "abusing a log" is the verbiage they used. I take that to mean kicking, pulling the hair of, not passing the salt to, giving a wedgie to or be a little too overzealous with the ink pen upon the physical log.

An "abusive log" is more like when you tell the CO that his hide stinks, he wears funny-looking shoes, or make any other disparaging remark about another person or group of persons in either the physical log or the cache-page log on the website.

I don't think they are trying to connect the two to each other. I think they made a poor choice of words.

I offered KC a 30 gallon trash can of them from Walgreens if he would make his nationwide cross-country trail come through Oklahoma. I am already looking for the kerosene, as I have changed my mind! B)

I'm pretty sure Cyrus Avery did the exact same thing back in 1925.

And maintenance is a concern. 31 caches put out near me in Sept of 09. (Yes. Numbered 1 through 31) Twelve have been archived. They did survive the three-month guideline. Who wants to do a power trail with 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18, 20, 23, 26, 29 & 30 missing?

Hmmm....

Maybe I'll place a power trail of my own.

Fib 0

Fib 1

Fib 1 (There's no requirement for each cache to have a unique name, is there?)

Fib 2

Fib 3

Fib 5

Fib 8

Fib 11...

Maybe make them all puzzles that involve the Golden Ratio as part of the solution.

The whole power trail/ micro hater thing is just tongue in cheek on my part!! I could really just let the whole thing slide without second thought. B)

The part that irritated me was I had all 78 notices sent to my Blackberry (instant notification option on the website.) and unlike MSN the Blackberry doesn't have a mass delete option! :anicute: Yeah I had to go through all 78 and delete them one at a time.!! You can bet I changed that little feature!!

I think this trail is meant to tie into the Spring Fling 2010 being held at Red Rock in April sponsored by the C.O.G.

I will say this small area is an anomaly on this side of the state, as it is a pretty nice Park, and well worth the side trip off the Interstate to visit. Better than the flat wheat fields mentioned earlier!!

It is going to be interesting to watch how this plays out after the Fling is over.

i agree with robert on the poor implementation statements. if you're gonna do it do it right, dont put out a bunch and say well i dont plan on maintaining these and if anyone wants to help go ahead. sure dropping a fresh baggie or log is a nice thing for people to do... but.... on the other hand, after having been out on those red dirt roads this would give me something to pass the time while watching the wheat fields go by. we'll see how it all turns out.

You cought that too...Looks like if you write too much in your log, it gets deleted...because the CO doesn't want to have to replace the logs?

There is no ALR here.

I think you're allowing the bad writing to confuse you. They don't say anything about "abusive" logs. They put that line right after the instructions to only write your name/date. I guess only the writer knows their own true meaning, but when you combine that line with the one requesting help maintaining the Caches(Because it will be too much work for the owner) I see that they don't want to have to replace the paper.

If I want to make excuses for them, I could read it they way you have.

Edit to close quote

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I'm not sure it is either, or it wouldn't have been approved...but it sounds an awful lot like one. As soon as anyone gets their log deleted for writing "thank you" then it becomes an ALR...either way, I don't like being told what I'm allowed to write(short of abusiveness), but I guess they're allowed to do things I don't like, I probably do some things they don't like either.

I think you're allowing the bad writing to confuse you. They don't say anything about "abusive" logs. they put that line right after the instructions to only write your name/date. I guess only the writer knows their own true meaning, but when you combine that lone with the one requesting help maintaining the Caches(Because it will be too much work for the owner) I see that they don't want to have to replace the paper.

Boy, I really didn't read these pages carefully. Probably because I couldn't give a hoot? Yep, pretty much requesting help maintaining them, because it will be too much trouble?

With so many caches on this route, will be hard to maintain, any help will caches will be much appreciated.

Edit to fix horribly broken quotes. I think I have it now. :anicute:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I'm not sure it is either, or it wouldn't have been approved...but it sounds an awful lot like one. As soon as anyone gets their log deleted for writing "thank you" then it becomes an ALR...either way, I don't like being told what I'm allowed to write(short of abusiveness), but I guess they're allowed to do things I don't like, I probably do some things they don't like either.

I kind of got the impression that these were for teeny-tiny logs that wouldn't be much good for anything but signature and date. Could be the CO has problems with some folks eating up the logs with verbose prose...? But I can see how it could also read like "dude, don't make me come out there and replace all those logs." But the only way to find out if somebody wrote War and Peace would be to visit them anyway, so...

At best it's a little unnecessary.

In the context of the the rest of the paragraph it appears that writing anything more than name and date on the paper log could be considered "abuse". If that is indeed the case, dictating what finders can and can't include in a log, accompanied with a threat of log deletion for non-compliance certainly could be considered an ALR.

It was published so either the language was added post publication, the reviewer didn't notice it, or that particular reviewer didn't see it as an ALR.

Wouldn't that just encourage more of these types of hides?

They may think that cachers love power trails when in fact they are just seeking them to get them off their list. Guess the finder could post a note: "Found it but only because I want to get these off my list." But I think most would just write "TFTC" which to the CO may be interpreted to mean 'cachers like power trails'.

I have no opinion of power trails one way or the other. But I am grateful for the new addition to my "cool phrase" lexicon. I can't wait for the opportunity to say, "Hey dude, stop harshing my mellow!"

Hey... what can I say, my kids stopped by for a visit!! B) That seemed a lot better than "talk to the hand".!!

My spouse thinks its funny and asked me one time "what is that Cameron says??? Your squashing my marshmellow??" :anicute:

From GC24RCN cache page: Please post as many pictures you have taken on the comment caches logs, I will also publish them randomly on the different Red Rock Run caches.

I am not to post my own photos into the gallery of the micros near where it was taken but instead post them only to the three designated "commentcaches"? The CO is then going to repost MY photos to whatever cache it does not belong with that the CO decides, and under the CO's account? B)B):anicute:

With so many caches on this route, will be hard to maintain, any help will caches will be much appreciated.

At the risk of taking this thread where another one went... I think that is just lame!!! :anicute:

If you can't maintain them, don't put them out!!

Is this a violation of the "solicitation" guidelines???

Lame? Yes. Solicitation? Not so much. Not the way I understand it.

From GC24RCN cache page: Please post as many pictures you have taken on the comment caches logs, I will also publish them randomly on the different Red Rock Run caches.

I am not to post my own photos into the gallery of the micros near where it was taken but instead post them only to the three designated "commentcaches"? The CO is then going to repost MY photos to whatever cache it does not belong with that the CO decides, and under the CO's account? B)B)B)

Welcome to " *cache listing Oklahoma style"! :anicute:

All that comes to mind about this entire thing is a question an old Employer of mine would ask all of us when he came out and toured the jobsite we were working on..."Are we proud of that?"

* it was meant as a joke!

There is no ALR here.

I think you're allowing the bad writing to confuse you. They don't say anything about "abusive" logs. They put that line right after the instructions to only write your name/date. I guess only the writer knows their own true meaning, but when you combine that line with the one requesting help maintaining the Caches(Because it will be too much work for the owner) I see that they don't want to have to replace the paper.

Edit to close quote

If we follow your logic, the cache owner must be threatening to delete the finder's paper log.

Edited by sbell111

unlike MSN the Blackberry doesn't have a mass delete option!

Actually, it does. It's not a selective mass delete option, but I use it all the time. Roll the little thumb-ball thingie to highlight the date instead of one of the messages. Then click the menu button and select "Delete Prior."

I have no opinion of power trails one way or the other. But I am grateful for the new addition to my "cool phrase" lexicon. I can't wait for the opportunity to say, "Hey dude, stop harshing my mellow!"

Hey... what can I say, my kids stopped by for a visit!! B) That seemed a lot better than "talk to the hand".!!

My spouse thinks its funny and asked me one time "what is that Cameron says??? Your squashing my marshmellow??" :anicute:

Are your kids in their fifties?

The whole power trail/ micro hater thing is just tongue in cheek on my part!! I could really just let the whole thing slide without second thought. B)

The part that irritated me was I had all 78 notices sent to my Blackberry (instant notification option on the website.) and unlike MSN the Blackberry doesn't have a mass delete option! :anicute: Yeah I had to go through all 78 and delete them one at a time.!! You can bet I changed that little feature!!

Hmm. Sounds like spam.. B)

My spouse thinks its funny and asked me one time "what is that Cameron says??? Your squashing my marshmellow??" B)

Are your kids in their fifties?

Oh you didn't know??? We are in our fifties, but they coined all these phrases!! You think they would give any of us credit?? :anicute: My son had a Grateful Dead T-shirt and being the "puritan" I am I told him "I wouldn't wear that unless I had actually seen them!!" He asked me if Jerry Garcia "wasn't the dude that had that new comedy show on tv??"

If I mention Mick and the Stones he is quick to point out the Stone Temple Pilots have no-one named Mick in the group! B)