Delorme PN-40 and firmware 2.7

J-Way

I have a PN-40 and recently (tonight) installed firmware 2.7. The promise of dozens of GPX files with geocaching information in all the parts of the country where I travel is simply tantalizing.

But I can't get it to work. I've tried numerous methods, but the best result is this:

I create GPX files in GSAK. I've tried running the "fix" macro and not running it. I copy the GPX files to the "gpx" directory on the SD card. I can now load any of the individual files. Unfortunately, when I load the waypoint file, all the geocaches have red pushpins.

Is this the trade-off for multiple thousands of caches in the field, red push-pins? If so, it's not worth it.

Does anyone know the process to get full geocache info into a readable GPX file on the SD card? If not, I'll go back to directly exporting from GSAK to the receiver.

Thanks in advance!

I have a PN-40 and recently (tonight) installed firmware 2.7. The promise of dozens of GPX files with geocaching information in all the parts of the country where I travel is simply tantalizing.

But I can't get it to work. I've tried numerous methods, but the best result is this:

I create GPX files in GSAK. I've tried running the "fix" macro and not running it. I copy the GPX files to the "gpx" directory on the SD card. I can now load any of the individual files. Unfortunately, when I load the waypoint file, all the geocaches have red pushpins.

Is this the trade-off for multiple thousands of caches in the field, red push-pins? If so, it's not worth it.

Does anyone know the process to get full geocache info into a readable GPX file on the SD card? If not, I'll go back to directly exporting from GSAK to the receiver.

Thanks in advance!

Depends on the version GSAK you have. Try running your GSAK generated GPX file through Topo then export it out of Topo and see what happens. I have an older version of GSAK and this is what I do. Not because I'm being cheap, but because this is the way I plan my hikes anyway.

That got it! I'd actually tried to go through Topo 8, except I'd tried directly exporting from Topo to the receiver. To get it to work I now:

1. Export sorted and filtered GPX file from GSAK

2. Run "fix" macro (is this needed now? I'll try not running it)

3. Drag & drop the GPX file into Topo

4. Export from Topo back to GPX

5. Copy to SD card (I guess I could export directly to SD card in step 4)

Anyone know of any shortcuts from this? What about a macro that I can run from GSAK to avoid the Topo step?

No need for Topo or a macro. Here are the steps using GSAK.

Note: Start with a clean slate, no caches or waypoints in internal memory.

1. Load first GPX to 40 as normal

2. On 40, go to wapoints>file>save as, and name the file what ever you want

3. Highlight and press save. The GPX is now saved to the SD card.

4. Delete all geocaches/waypoints. Don't worry, the file will remain on the SD, it's just removed from internal memory.

5. Send next GPX to 40.

6. Repeat steps 2-4...and so on...and so on

Edit to add: When I say load GPX to 40 as normal, I mean using the send to GPS button, not the export function.

Edited by Pax42

I agree with Pax42. That is what I do. There is also a macro called DeLormeTile, this macro divides you database up into the proper sized .gpx to be loaded onto your SD card and switched in the field. The only problem I have with this macro is that it does not keep the found it icon on caches, they all have standard icons. Using the Send Waypoints under the GPS drop down menu.

Here is what I have done.

1. GPS Drop Down>Send Waypoints (assuming you have chosen the correct unit under Setup GPS).

2. Click the button Change Symbols.

3. Choose the Combine Both radio button.

4. On the right side choose the type (Tradition+found, Multi+Placed, etc.)

5. On the left side choose the icon for the selected Type.

6. Repeat as needed then save.

7. Now uncheck use defaults.

8. I chose 990 waypoints to send, send 10 logs, and left the rest defaulted.

9. I then chose save next to the settings box and named my settings so I won't have to redo everything.

10. Hook up the GPSr, when it asks on the GPSr screen how to connect chose Data Transfer mode.

11. Now on GSAK click send.

12. Do as Pax42 said and repeat as needed.

One thing I found out is that when you are switching files, when it asks to save your file to the SD card, say NO or else it overwrites the file you are switching to.

Say file HOME is on the SD card and file VACATION is in memory. If you select file HOME from the card, it will ask you if you want to save VACATION to SD card. If you say "yes" it overwrites HOME. At least that's the way it appears to me.

One thing I found out is that when you are switching files, when it asks to save your file to the SD card, say NO or else it overwrites the file you are switching to.

Say file HOME is on the SD card and file VACATION is in memory. If you select file HOME from the card, it will ask you if you want to save VACATION to SD card. If you say "yes" it overwrites HOME. At least that's the way it appears to me.

Not sure what you're seeing Brian. Say I have to 2 GPX files on the SD card. One is called "A1" and one is called "B2". A1 is currently in active internal memory and has been changed (let's pretend I found a cache). I now want to switch to the B2 GPX file. I go menu>waypoints>menu>file>open. When asked to save or discard changes to A1, I choose save. After saving, It shows me the list of available GPX files. I choose B2. B2 is just the way I last left it. It hasn't been overwritten. The only thing that was overwritten was the original A1 file on the SD card which is what I expect.