Geocaching Fact Sheets - Number 273

I thought it would be a useful idea, to collect useful snippets of caching advice, which I'll put together as an A4 page as a PDF which could then be printed out or read onscreen as required.

I'm looking for short, useful hints and tips and ONLY on the topic of Why I hate Micros..

so something like:

I hate micros because they cause a small number of cachers to moan and whinge a great deal! (Birdman-of-Liskatraz)

Please include your caching name in brackets at the end, so as to make it a single Cut and Paste operation!

I'll release the finished articles under a Creative Commons licence, so everyone can use/edit them as they wish.

Stands back and awaits a flood of useful hints! (which I'll most probably ignore!) ;)

I dislike a micro when it has been placed just for the sake of placing a cache. (Haggis Hunter)

I dislike micro's that have been placed in locations that could easily have taken a larger container. The exception to this is when the hiding technique has had a lot of thought put into it. (Haggis Hunter)

I like micro's that take you to a location that is interesting and there is no other option but to hide a micro in that location. ;) (Haggis Hunter)

What, over 10 minutes and no moans :) .

Micros must be ok then, may as well close this one ;)

The topics only here for Keehotee, but I guess he must be having a nap or something?

Aaaah Steve - you've slipped up.

I don't hate micros any more than anyone else ....I just hate crappy ill thought out caches, and it seems that more often than not the hiders of said caches put as much thought and expense into their containers as they do their hides. ;):)

We hate nano micros when they rust shut or hold the log in rusty water. (Fianccetto)

I hate nano micros because I can't see the bit of paper I am supposed to sign and its too small to write on in the cold! (Fianccetto - Mrs. F.)

We hate nano micros because when the log gets full there is no way for a visiting cacher to add a new one. (Fianccetto)

I hate nano micros because they're fiddly and easy to drop when trying to open in bad weather. (Fianccetto - Mrs. F.)

We hate micros because there's no room for geocoins. (Fianccetto)

There is nought wrong with micros except those used at hides where a regular sized one is possible, those set just so that the setter can ramp up his score, those that through the minimum distance rule deny worthy sites a cache, those when the hard bit starts when the GPS is put away and those that could be set from a moving vehicle.

If you hate Micro's please don't moan about them and then go hunt loads of them, stand by your beliefs and just don't look for them, otherwise just don't moan.

Cake and eat it springs to mind

Micros have their place but of all cache types they are the most widely abused. The problem is not with the seeker who doesn't know which is an appropriate cache when they start out but with the owner who doesn't include is their description that the cache has been set for reasons other than providing enjoyment to the hunter.

I'm with DD&V

I've now decided that I'm going to check the logs on my micro caches and tally them with those that have anti micro views.

Any I find will be deleted with a very personal message.

:)

You can't say fairer than that can you?

[/q]

Check the rules there is nothing that states that a find is only valid if the finder enjoyed the cache.

Edited by The Hearse

I'm with DD&V

I've now decided that I'm going to check the logs on my micro caches and tally them with those that have anti micro views.

:)

[/q]

Check the rules there is nothing that states that a find is only valid if the finder enjoyed the cache.

I think CurryKev is right. I recently followed a Micro Hating Cacher (who is very verbal on this forum about being anti micro's and trails). Funnily enough, I was on a trail, and many of them were micro's, and ALL listed as such. Just for a laugh I checked the log sheets on all of them. The AMC logged every one online as a find, even being sarcastic online as to why they were doing a trail, yet they only managed to sign the log on about half the caches I found.

Things that make you go hmmmm....

I'm with DD&V

:rolleyes:

[/q]

The problem I have with Micros is 10% are worth doing the other 90% I think just WHY?

Where as I consider as a rule of thumb the larger containers have better thought out caches...

Before you start flaming THIS IS NOT ALWAYS THE CASE. I guess I am as much against bad cache placement and poorly conceived caches as the container size.

So does that mean every non complimentary log I write will get deleted?

Posted from pda on Dartmoor, where I have been busy finding caches (including micros) instead of bitching on the forums...

I don't hate micros. I've hidden them myself under this and other accounts - where they're appropriate.

What I hate is the hypocrisy of the "I hate micro haters" group, which seems to be far more vocal than any "I hate micros" group. Live and let live ... as you are all so fond of telling any micro-haters not to find micros and trails, I assume you will all be avoiding events and caches set by micro-haters from now on..??

I think CurryKev is right. I recently followed a Micro Hating Cacher (who is very verbal on this forum about being anti micro's and trails). Funnily enough, I was on a trail, and many of them were micro's, and ALL listed as such. Just for a laugh I checked the log sheets on all of them. The AMC logged every one online as a find, even being sarcastic online as to why they were doing a trail, yet they only managed to sign the log on about half the caches I found.

As your profile shows ZERO FINDS and ZERO HIDDEN I can only presume that you are hiding behind an aptly named account.

If you want to comment on controversial subjects it would be nice if you could be open about it and post under your normal caching name.

As your profile shows ZERO FINDS and ZERO HIDDEN I can only presume that you are hiding behind an aptly named account.

If you want to comment on controversial subjects it would be nice if you could be open about it and post under your normal caching name.

I believe he is ;) , at least I think his normal caching name is higher up the thread :rolleyes:

If you hate Micro's please don't moan about them and then go hunt loads of them, stand by your beliefs and just don't look for them, otherwise just don't moan.

Cake and eat it springs to mind

Was that aimed at me? (Not that we've found loads of any type of cache.)

I was just answering the OP, he didn't ask why we love micros, for which we could also give a few answers.

I don't think it was aimed at you. It was probably aimed at someone more vocal with a higher post count than you have, if it were aimed at anyone in particular, not that I'm saying it was, that's up to the Doctor to clarify !

Hm,you're probably right. No worries. Just seemed to get caught in the cross-fire! I'll know to keep my head down now, or wear a thicker helmet! lol