Waiting period before -Mark item missing- ?

Many local caches have fallen victim to raiders including some of mine. One cache in particular was hit hard and has eight (8) trackable items listed in the inventory. I can pretty much nail down that it was hit sometime early February. Since then I have converted it, and several others, to MOC's. The eight trackables are still showing as being in the inventory and I am getting logs stating such.

There is a possibility that someone snagged them but hasn't logged them yet but my question is, how long do you wait before you mark the items missing? And when you mark it as missing does it automatically remove itself from the cache listing inventory?

And with MOC's is there any way to "advertise" that there are MOC's in the area to try to invite non-paying cachers to pay up and become premium members? Something posted on the non-MOC's listings?

I do like the audit logs on MOC's... pretty cool feature.

If you know they are not in the cache since Early February - I would not hesitate to in and mark all of them missing. If some cacher actually has one - they can "grab" it and keep it moving. Once marked as missing they willdrop off of the inventory.

Other than showing up in listings - I know of no way to "advertise" them - at least on this site. You may have someway on a local group site.

...my question is, how long do you wait before you mark the items missing? And when you mark it as missing does it automatically remove itself from the cache listing inventory?

I recommend 30 days after the first verification the bug isn't in the cache.

If the cache has been muggled or destroyed you can move them out immediately when replacing the container.

After marking it as missing the bug will be removed from the listing and if anyone finds the bug later they can simply Grab the bug into their possession.

In a case like this, I might do it sooner. There's absolutely no harm done in marking a bug missing. Whoever ends up with it will still have all the same options to log it as they had before. The only thing it will do is remove it from the inventory of your Cache listing.

In a regular case, where the Cache was still functioning properly, I'd give about a month after the first report that it wasn't there.

If it's been raided by a maggot go ahead and mark that TB missing. It hurts, but better that the owner knows then think it's sitting in your cache.

In fact as others have said even if there's a chance someone on a long trip just picked it up in the past week and have not logged it, it still does not hurt to mark it as missing.