New to geocaching. PLEASE! help. Overwhelmed with gps info.

I am trying to figure out which gps unit to purchase for my first one. I have looked thru the garage sale section but how do you know a good gps from a sucky one someone is just trying to unload. My husband and I want one we can geocache with and also be able to use on the trails when we go out in our jeep. Is there one that is a good started one that does not cost ALOT I mean like under $200.00

Thanks for your help, advice and view points.

This is probably the number one most frequently-asked question in this part of the forums. It appears you've overlooked the following sticky thread created specifically for answering your question:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=230083

You can also click on GPS REVIEWS, located in the left-hand toolbar, from basically any page in Geocaching.com

http://www.geocaching.com/reviews/gps

I just found this link, called "Guide to Buying a GPS Device"

http://www.geocaching.com/about/buying.aspx

Edited by T F T C

For that money - I would suggest a Garmin Legend HCx or for just a bit more (but lots of other features) the Garmin Oregon 200.

Either way - pair it up with the free topo maps at www.gpsfiledepot.com

The Legend is not a fully paperless Geocaching unit but will have the high sensitivity and extra memory needed for mapping at about $160. The Oregon 200 is a bit over your budget ($220 if look around) but is a fully paperless Geocaching unit and also allows the free maps.

Both are quite rugged units and will perform well in either the Jeep or on foot Geocaching.

Another unit to consider is a Delorme PN30 (right at $200) - includes a rich set of mapping in the box and is a rugged unit but has a propritary cable and really eats batteries quickly. Also fairly poor at distance autorouting. But still a good value and nice unit.

For that money - I would suggest a Garmin Legend HCx or for just a bit more (but lots of other features) the Garmin Oregon 200.

Either way - pair it up with the free topo maps at www.gpsfiledepot.com

The Legend is not a fully paperless Geocaching unit but will have the high sensitivity and extra memory needed for mapping at about $160. The Oregon 200 is a bit over your budget ($220 if look around) but is a fully paperless Geocaching unit and also allows the free maps.

Both are quite rugged units and will perform well in either the Jeep or on foot Geocaching.

Another unit to consider is a Delorme PN30 (right at $200) - includes a rich set of mapping in the box and is a rugged unit but has a propritary cable and really eats batteries quickly. Also fairly poor at distance autorouting. But still a good value and nice unit.

what about some of the ones on sale in the garage sale section. Possibly looking for a used one.

You will hear from a dozen people, and get a dozen different reccommendations ;) ; most will suggest the Garmin brand. I was using an old series 300 Magellan, which allowed us to find anything we went after ---but I decided I just "had to have" a mapping GPS! So I got back to Gaarmin with a Map60cx. It has taken me months to learn how to use it (and I've had TWO Garmins before this one!) ---directions were lacking the details I needed. Through dozens of e-mails, a Garmin techy "educated" me, and I'm still having questions! You need to decide if you need the mapping capability; for jeep-trailing cross country, mapping isn't as needed. The features I looked for are battery-life, size of the screen, size of the unit, and control buttons on the FRONT of the unit. I also wanted to be able to see UTMs and Lat/Long at the same time. Well, that's MY 2 cents worth. :)

Edited by The Posse

I can't speak for you, but most of us go through several GPSr's before finding the one that fits.

Make a small list of what you'd like to get and search ebay and go to some local pawn shops. I always see them in pawn shops. Used is a money saver 'till you decide what you really like.

I have 5 of them now.....plus the two that are mounted in the car dash boards.

What ones are you choosing between?

My favorite cheapy one is my Garmin Legend. It's the older model. The older model (without the H) is a simple model that will get you to the cache...as will just about any handheld hiking model.

IF you like geocaching, and are going to stay in the hobby....or are an avid jeeper, then you will end up upgrading. The car models are good for turn by turn directions, yet are not good for geocaching.

The most common models are your best bet....because then everyone can help you learn to use it.

I can't speak for you, but most of us go through several GPSr's before finding the one that fits.

Make a small list of what you'd like to get and search ebay and go to some local pawn shops. I always see them in pawn shops. Used is a money saver 'till you decide what you really like.

LTNS. How's your MeriPlat doing? Mine finally gave up the ghost and I went to the DeLorme series.

LTNS. How's your MeriPlat doing? Mine finally gave up the ghost and I went to the DeLorme series.

I got the Meri Color a long time ago. Still great though. I don't remember but I must have used it during the secret WAAS update. It's pretty rock solid and WAAS receptive.

I really think they got it perfect with the Meridian. I wish they would update the screen and the CPU speed and it would still be the best outdoor GPSr ever!

Test driving an eXplorist. Just having fun with my three year old. My pup is happy that we're getting out too. ;)

I just got a PN 40. If you have a Bass Pro nearby (or anybody that will match pricing and has the $50.00 rebate), print out the Walmart price off the internet of $258.00. They will match that price and then you can send in the rebate and your price for a PN 40 will end at $208.00.