Cache Frequency

Power trails and most caches found in a day... that's all we hear about anymore.

How about those lonely caches that haven't been found in over a year? Got any? Do you have plans to find some? Are there any geocaching organizations in your area that reward such a find?

I personally have two caches that will soon be 1 find/1000 days. I guess after the FTF chase was over they lost their luster! Pity..... :P

Power trails and most caches found in a day... that's all we hear about anymore.

How about those lonely caches that haven't been found in over a year? Got any? Do you have plans to find some? Are there any geocaching organizations in your area that reward such a find?

I personally have two caches that will soon be 1 find/1000 days. I guess after the FTF chase was over they lost their luster! Pity..... :P

This summer I plan on finding at least one lonely cache. I would do more if the time allows.

Last summer I was set on finding at least one archived cache with TB(s) inside but failed, painfully, in my attempt though I did get a small story out of the day.

i think thats whats great about our little game, there is something for everybody! i like doing power trails and seeing how many i can get in one day, but i also like looking for ones that havent been found in a long time. It just depends on the mood my wife and i are in! With geocaching there are countless goals one can strive for if the choose to.

In the end its your game to play how you want. :P:laughing::laughing::(:P

I'm into finding lonely caches along with my friends. We recently found a night-time cache that hadn't been found in three years and two others(in the same park) that hadn't been found in two years. Not a great neighborhood......LOL!

I think that's the most "fun" I'm having at the time. My desires seem to change the longer I stay with geocaching. Started out just finding them...then went to geocoins/TB's......then FTF's.....then night caches.....then powertrails (not really for me because of the logging of them.....) and now lonely caches. What could be next?

Quantity and qaulity are two different things. Lucky for us it is up to you if you go for the numbers or for the lonely one. I personally have the most pleasure on the last one. My favorite: Sesvenna 2 http://coord.info/GCJN1D. Almost two years not found when I found it. After finding the cache continued the trail into a beautifull canyon which I would not have seen without the cache (Check out the pictures with the cache). That's what geocaching is about.

Is there an easy way to find caches that have been "forgotten"? Tried running a PQ but can't specify time since last find. Or do you just have to filter through and find them?

I also do not know how you can do this when defining a PQ, but you can filter on them in GSAK.

Until this week this cache of mine (GCJ1DW) on my lake property hadn't been found since October of '09, and has only been found 42 times in seven years, but as long as it gets logs like this I am perfectly happy with it:

March 6 by bamagirl (2611 found)

Ever since I have been caching, this one has pretty much been my closest unfound cache, but somehow after reading the cache description, I had wanted to wait for the perfect day. Today was it! We planned all week to do it, but then one of my dearest friends passed away. We attended the services this morning and then returned home. My son called and asked if we wanted to take the convertible out for a ride this afternoon. We said we did. He picked us up and we stopped on the way out of town for the makings of a picnic. We followed the GPS, but every road that it showed ended up being gated by hunting clubs, etc. so it ended up being quite a few more miles than we had anticipated. Upon arrival, we were greeted by muggles around a campfire. We drove on around the point, picked out the perfect spot, and spread our picnic. We relaxed most of the afternoon, playing in the water with our new dog, and skipping rocks. Finally as the sun began to sink and the air turned cooler, we decided it was time to head home. After making a quick grab of the cache, we got back in the car and headed out.......a perfect day of geocaching even though we only found one! Thanks, TAR, for sharing this beautiful spot. You may find me there again!

The Wisconsin Geocaching Association has sponsored a Lonely Cache Game, now in its third year. Usually these are the greatest caches to visit and I know when I was actively pursuing it, we were finding some out in the middle of nowhere that hadn't been found in over a year. There are still some of these we want to find some day. We just pick interesting places or caches we want to visit now and work our day around that, but it isn't unusual that some of what we find is lonely.

It's really been great for improving the caching experience in the state. If one is hunted and appears missing, the reviewers get notice right away. Sometimes an owner will allow a replacement to be put out, but in many cases, they are MIA owners and it's better to archive them. New ones generally appear soon, because whoever was looking discovered a place worth visiting.

Oddly enough, I just used up a BUNCH of pocket queries trying to download all the caches in North Carolina, specifically so I could load them into GSAK and sort by the last-found date.

The "loneliest" cache in the state was placed in 2004, had two finds, and hasn't had a find (or a DNF) posted since. The CO lives in another state, but had a local cacher helping with maintenance. I emailed him to ask if he'd checked on the cache lately, and he doesn't live here any more.

It's a micro in a rock pile. And there's been construction nearby in the last couple of years.

So it's on my watch list, but I'm NOT going to drive across the state to look for it.

1) Micro

2) Rock Pile

3) Absentee owner

4) No finds and no DNF's in six years

I'd post an NA right now, but I think it's wrong to post NA logs on caches you haven't even tried to find. So I'll wait and post it after I DNF it. Unless it's still there.

Don't hold your breath.

There are several other "lonely" caches in North Carolina, mostly on the coast and requiring a boat for access. I'm looking forward to logging finds on those in the not-too-distant future.

We went after GC16PDF in east TN this past weekend on an excursion not knowing it was lonely until we read the logs. It had been 1 year, to the day, from its last find and thanks to it not only being somewhat of a challenge to get to but also because it was an AMMO CAN it was in great shape and bone dry even though it was within feet of the water line as well as only 20 or 30 feet from the falls themselves. It was interesting to get to a place to park the car first then interesting to get down to it. We actually used a rope around a tree so that I could make my way down to hunt it up and bring it back. It was a blast and took us to a waterfall that isn't marked and has no true trail nor can it be seen from the road. I will be heading back to find more lonelies in this area and hopefully soon. I do have to say they are my favorite already in my short stint in the game however I have to admit I prefer to go after these types of caches solo as I find the solitude much more enjoyable than the complaining I usually get.

My one-time lonely first cache is now along a trail with several caches. Density still doesn't guarantee visits, it's had 24 in almost 7 years. A shame, too, as its a beautiful park with some great trails and stunning vistas. Nice to see it has attracted a few hikers over the years who may not have visited, but for that ammo box sitting there outside the latrine. ;)

I've hidden caches under two different names. Under my current name I have one cache that has yet to be found and it was hidden on 6-18-08 and is an ammo can. I have 10 others that haven't been found in over 1 year. Under my other name I have six caches that have yet to be found, 44 that haven't been found in over a year, and 10 that haven't been found in over two years. Of course, all of those caches are hidden in desert/canyon land country and most require a bit of hiking to reach them. Most of my caches get very few visits outside of the local cachers because you don't have an opportunity to rack up the numbers by chasing after most of my caches. And I've found that people from outside the area are a little hesitant to venture into some of the areas where I've placed my caches. Does keep the maintenance problem to a minimum though, and that's not all bad. The ones who have found those caches seemed to have enjoyed where the caches took them.