Membership renewal has bankrupted me!

OK.. is there any more to this story you can share?

The first rule of platinum membership is you don't talk about platinum membership

You also are not to speak about not talking about it!! :)

<cough>eh-hem<cough>

From "Walk The Line"--- " don't think about it, don't write songs about it, don't think about writing songs about it"

Am I missing something here? How hard is it to earn $30?

Clean someone's gutters, rake their lawn, shovel their sidewalk, wash cars, replace a rotting board on their deck or porch, update the anti-virus on their PC... depending on the weather and your skill set there are all kinds of possibilities.

If I recall you said you ride a bicycle to run your paper route, which tells me that you aren't too disabled to do something to augment that income.

While riding around your route I bet you can find a number of widowed women who would love to have a young man do some of the chores they can't do and need done.

I feel sure that Groundspeak will or has refunded your money, call your bank and they'll refund the overdraft, and you're right back where you started... needing to earn $30.

Look around... a willing and enterprising young man can earn that in less than an hour.

Rude much?

You know, sometimes I should trust my gut feeling on things...

I wanted to post in this topic to rein it in some and didn't. I should have, and I guess it is time to do that. Poor guy, down on his luck. How about giving the guy a break? How about keeping it within the guidelines for the forums to boot please? Sad to see some in the community saying some things that have been said in this topic.

Best of luck to you DENelson83. Sorry for your troubles.

I don't use credit. I don't make enough money per year to be eligible for any type of credit.

Well then at the very least counseling to help you manage what money you do have, so as to make better decisions as to what to buy and not to buy. Budgeting what money you do make.

Scubasonic

I don't use credit. I don't make enough money per year to be eligible for any type of credit.

Well then at the very least counseling to help you manage what money you do have, so as to make better decisions as to what to buy and not to buy. Budgeting what money you do make.

Scubasonic

I don't understand why people are painting him as financially irresponsible.

A person could be budgeting perfectly and still screw up the math.

Scubasonic

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

I wanted to post in this topic to rein it in some and didn't. I should have, and I guess it is time to do that. Poor guy, down on his luck. How about giving the guy a break? How about keeping it within the guidelines for the forums to boot please? Sad to see some in the community saying some things that have been said in this topic.

Thanks mtn-man, I have met the OP, and can say that he is certainly not deserving of the short-sighted and generic "why can't you manage your money" criticism here.

Man if $30 puts you in the red you have some bigger problems I would suggest Credit Counseling like yesterday.

Scubasonic

Wow.

There have been times in my life where I have had to live paycheck to paycheck, and I don't think I ever had anyone be so condescending to me as that came across.

Sometimes, times are tough, and "advice" like that is just plain rude. Granted, a number of the responses in this thread can be viewed as such, but that seems to be par for the course here.

(Ahem)

While it is easier to paint wide strokes with a broad brush, please bear in mind (and read through the thread) that not everyone has been on the "lets kick a guy when he's down" train. Several Forum posters have attempted to work behind the scenes to try to better the situation without causing the OP any more grief.

So maybe its not "par for the course" just a select group of golfers you refer to. :)

Edited by NeecesandNephews

Am I the only one that is finding it very awkward that we are dissecting and discussing someone's financial situation in public like this? It also seems very off-topic aside from the fact that it was the question of his geocaching membership that started this.

Clean someone's gutters, rake their lawn, shovel their sidewalk, wash cars, replace a rotting board on their deck or porch, update the anti-virus on their PC... depending on the weather and your skill set there are all kinds of possibilities.

If I recall you said you ride a bicycle to run your paper route, which tells me that you aren't too disabled to do something to augment that income.

While riding around your route I bet you can find a number of widowed women who would love to have a young man do some of the chores they can't do and need done.

I feel sure that Groundspeak will or has refunded your money, call your bank and they'll refund the overdraft, and you're right back where you started... needing to earn $30.

Look around... a willing and enterprising young man can earn that in less than an hour.

Rude much?

Very rarely, in fact, and never intentionally.

If suggesting creative ways to earn the money to play this game and buy a Premium Membership is seen as rude then perhaps I worded it wrong... to me it looks like one of the most constructive and helpful posts in this thread.

I can tell you that anyone capable of doing anything could have earned $30 in much less time than this thread has been running, and I hope that he chose to do so.

Rude? No. Helpful? I hope so. :)

Man if $30 puts you in the red you have some bigger problems I would suggest Credit Counseling like yesterday.

Scubasonic

Wow.

There have been times in my life where I have had to live paycheck to paycheck, and I don't think I ever had anyone be so condescending to me as that came across.

Sometimes, times are tough, and "advice" like that is just plain rude. Granted, a number of the responses in this thread can be viewed as such, but that seems to be par for the course here.

(Ahem)

While it is easier to paint wide strokes with a broad brush, please bear in mind (and read through the thread) that not everyone has been on the "lets kick a guy when he's down" train. Several Forum posters have attempted to work behind the scenes to try to better the situation without causing the OP any more grief.

So maybe its not "par for the course" just a select group of golfers you refer to. :)

Apologies.

Totally agreed. I'll respon in PM so as not to derail this thread further.

Cheers!

All sorts of other things to find out there as well... lead weights for sure, tools, I'm also up 3 cell phones, a digital camera or two, and few lost hikers over the years.

How much did you get for selling the lost hikers? :blink:

I 'cash in' returnables for deposits, have not collected lead for a while other than to remove hazardous materials from the environment ( used to make diving weight belts out of them for sale), the cameras and cell phones were returned to their owners (5 for 5 now, I like mystery solving, none had ID with them).

As for the hikers, I usually return them to the owners/family, free of charge... one I sort of kept around :) She caches with me now! Still gets lost. What can I say, SAR usually is done for non selfish reasons. I did return her to her family, but she still followed me home.

WE never did get to go to the big avalanche, stayed around here and waited... we did get a group of snowmobilers reported overdue by very nervous family on Sunday... but that was just miss communication and nerves due to the BIG one over in Revelstoke. So far that one has turned out better than expected, sad, but better... now our snow is back to melting away again... swiftwater anyone...sigh.

Off topic again, but you asked! Like to see some humour and people that actually read posts.. thanks!

Doug

Scubasonic

Sometimes people just find themselves in a bind. No amount of counseling will help that. Sometimes people forget that something they signed up for a year ago is up for renewal and the money just isn't there when it hits. No counseling will help that.

I'll bet that many people being judgmental on this topic have been in the same spot at some time in their lives.

Rude much?

Very rarely, in fact, and never intentionally.

If suggesting creative ways to earn the money to play this game and buy a Premium Membership is seen as rude then perhaps I worded it wrong... to me it looks like one of the most constructive and helpful posts in this thread.

I can tell you that anyone capable of doing anything could have earned $30 in much less time than this thread has been running, and I hope that he chose to do so.

Rude? No. Helpful? I hope so. :D

Perhaps you did word it wrong. Perhaps you worded this last post wrong, also, since it presumes that you have any clue what his schedule, budget, and responsibilities are.

Also, it should be noted that when I was a student living hand to mouth, making an extra thirty bucks wouldn't have resulted in my being able to blow it on something so frivilous as a membership to GC.com. It would merely have gone to the next most important thing to pay for.

Edited by sbell111

actually if everybody that has posted here would just Paypal the guy a $1 to help a fellow cacher out then we could just move on.

The OP didn't ask for money, nor indicate in his posts that he was looking for someone to help him out... he just wanted a refund from Groundspeak (wrong place to ask, but he got sent to the right place) and hopefully that's all fixed.

If he HAD asked, which I do not think he would have, should we pay his membership? No.

As a volunteer Southern Baptist Association Disaster Relief Chaplain and an American Red Cross Disaster Action Team Lead I meet people who are in need, often desperate need, almost every day. Whenever people are displaced from their home due to fire the Fire Departments in three counties calls me from the scene to come take care of the victims. From 10 a.m. till Noon this morning I was at an apartment fire. A forty-something woman, marginally employed (close to minimum wage), was cooking breakfast and had a grease fire get out of control. Luckily she got out okay (very luckily, since she threw flour on it to try to put it out!) but she lost everything, literally, except her car... the apartment is a complete loss as are all of her belongings. She has no renters insurance... she has to totally start over rebuilding her life one article of clothing and one piece of furniture at a time. We will help her with basic clothing and shoes, food, medicines and arrange for her to stay at a homeless shelter for a while, long enough for her to save up the deposit for a new apartment perhaps, but it will take years for her to recover.

She will have no choice but to accept gifts of compassion and help for quite some time... but I guarantee you she won't spend a dime of it to play a game.

Her I will bend over backward to help, but to send someone money for a membership to a game site? Nary a dime!

When an unemployed uninsured geocacher I know who has a sick child had his GPS stolen, sort of a 'last straw' event that threatened to take his family out of the game, some anonymous soul in the community sent around an email asking cachers to help get him a new one so that he and his family could do at least some geocaching. In one week's outpouring of love geocachers all over the state contributed a total of $2300+ to help ease their burden, so I am not saying that geocachers don't sometimes need help to play this game... we sometimes do, and I have never been more proud of my fellow geocachers for doing this, but I don't think anyone would want or expect us to pay their premium membership!

As I said, the OP did not ask, so this is not about him... it's about the idea of us paying somebody's way to play a game.

Everyone certainly has a right to decide what to do with their charitable giving, however, so if helping someone play a game floats your boat then go for it!

Me, I will help them find ways to earn the money to play.

Scubasonic

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

i agree also, as a matter fact i just overdrew my bank account by $3.50, yeah, it was a simple mistake on my. part not bad money manegement. live woth it and go on!

Now there's a real forum hiccup... 5 copies!

If at first you don't succeed, keep pushing that button! :(

Of course, a nice moderator might help out with some of that. :D

Thanks mtn-man, I have met the OP, and can say that he is certainly not deserving of the short-sighted and generic "why can't you manage your money" criticism here.

My goodness. I've been through tough times, and even recently. When I was in high school during the school year part I didn't have much money at all. My parents would not allow me to work until summer. I think the comments in this topic have been unfair at times and think it is time to close it. If the OP wants it open again, he can contact me.