Membership renewal has bankrupted me!

Just curious if the OP got his refund yet?? Never heard any more about it on the thread.
He's still showing up as a PM. So, who's gonna 'fess up to paying for his membership? Who thought about it?

(I really wanna know, 'cause I think the answer might save me $30 next month)

Already sent an email to Groundspeak. Got a response from Sara, and she is working on it. :)

Should add... someone might have already done it, but I put my name on the list.

Cool! If yours falls through, keep me in mind. I blew my budget on beer and a vacation to Arizona. Edited by knowschad
Just curious if the OP got his refund yet?? Never heard any more about it on the thread.
He's still showing up as a PM. So, who's gonna 'fess up to paying for his membership? Who thought about it?

Thought about it. Not the right time for me to do something like that though. i just hope their bank doesn't charge them 5 Grand.

I've had two totally major Pay Pal screw ups over the years (been premium since early 2004, and pay by the month, not yearly). By the way, if this ever happens to you, Pay Pal tells you to contact Groundspeak, Groundspeak tells you to contact Pay Pal. :) Both times, the Premium Member status both here in the forums, and on your profile page takes weeks to update. This has come up before in the forums, but not often.

I was going to gift a membership to someone once. but they won't let you do a $3 for one month or even $10 for a 3 month membership. You have to splurge $30 for a year. I'm much too cheap to do that. Even for the guy who invented The Geocaching Flag. Sorry. :D

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel
.....anybody notice that his listed occupation is paper route??
Yes, but GOF's profession is listed as "Carpenter and Phlebotomist", Snoogans is a "Hasidic Diamond Merchant", JHolly works as a "Proffesional layabout", Lil Devil is a "Vagabond Extraordinaire"... ad infinitum. However, in this case, I suspect its true.

Oh, goodness, I hadn't noticed that. :) I guess I'm losing my stalker skills. Better work on that. :)B):D

Just what I might expect from an entropy researcher!

:D

Hey, it's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it. :ph34r:

Edited by Ambrosia
Yes, but GOF's profession is listed as "Carpenter and Phlebotomist", Snoogans is a "Hasidic Diamond Merchant", JHolly works as a "Proffesional layabout", Lil Devil is a "Vagabond Extraordinaire"... ad infinitum. However, in this case, I suspect its true.

Oh, goodness, I hadn't noticed that. :) I guess I'm losing my stalker skills. Better work on that. :)B):D

Somebody already is: http://www.entropyresearch.net/

Amateurs. :ph34r:

Amateurs. :ph34r:

Yeah, maybe. But amateurs with a website. Hard to argue with a domain name, hon*. :D

(*can I call you "hon", hon?)

Edited by knowschad

Oh, goodness, I hadn't noticed that. :) I guess I'm losing my stalker skills. Better work on that. B):ph34r::D

Amateurs. :D

Yeah, maybe. But amateurs with a website. Hard to argue with a domain name, hon. :D

I have a blog, does that count? :)

Oh, goodness, I hadn't noticed that. :) I guess I'm losing my stalker skills. Better work on that. B):ph34r::D

Yeah, maybe. But amateurs with a website. Hard to argue with a domain name, hon. :D

I have a blog, does that count? :)

BC, Canada - 5c pop can, (10c for liquor can, liquor stores only or the 5c applies), 10c for 1 litre plastic bottle, 20c for 2 litre. Glass wobbly pop bottles - again liquor stores pay more than bottle depots, but not sure the amount. We save gas and do all the recycling at the bottle depot. Doesn't pay much though, does it?

No tax if you win the lottery here! I wish I had some better ideas for the OP.

In Ontario Canada. No deposit on pop (soda) cans. Buy them here and return them to the States for 5c a can. Beer bottles in New York 5c per bottle, return them in Ontario for 10c per bottle.

Kramer and Newman (from Seinfeld) debunked that theory :)

Is this post for real or are you trying to get some laughs. It seems you have had to renew about 3 times and I guess you can forget that you had money in your acct but $30!

I'm not laughing, chiggs. I made a stupid mistake, and ended up learning a lesson the hard way.

Is this post for real or are you trying to get some laughs. It seems you have had to renew about 3 times and I guess you can forget that you had money in your acct but $30!

I'm not laughing, chiggs. I made a stupid mistake, and ended up learning a lesson the hard way.

Just to let you know. Many banks will forgive one overdraft a year. Call them up and ask them to reverse the fee. It can't hurt.

Just to let you know. Many banks will forgive one overdraft a year. Call them up and ask them to reverse the fee. It can't hurt.

Excellent point. Never thought about overdrafts, but I get my 1 per year forgiven late credit card payments all the time. :) Give it a try DENelson.

Am I missing something here? How hard is it to earn $30?

Clean someone's gutters, rake their lawn, shovel their sidewalk, wash cars, replace a rotting board on their deck or porch, update the anti-virus on their PC... depending on the weather and your skill set there are all kinds of possibilities.

If I recall you said you ride a bicycle to run your paper route, which tells me that you aren't too disabled to do something to augment that income.

While riding around your route I bet you can find a number of widowed women who would love to have a young man do some of the chores they can't do and need done.

I feel sure that Groundspeak will or has refunded your money, call your bank and they'll refund the overdraft, and you're right back where you started... needing to earn $30.

Look around... a willing and enterprising young man can earn that in less than an hour.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Yes, it can happen and fast. And with the way banks have been running items through it increases the fees they get. You have 5 items come in and they run the biggest first, if that puts you over the limit they ding you for the other 4 at $30-$50 each. Then they use snail mail to warn you. Giving them another two days to keep dinging you. There is a very good reason Congress is looking to pass legislation regulating these practices.

To the original poster, there are many of us who have been where you are and feel your pain. You will not pick up enough cans or brass to get the money in your account by the cutoff time that day. Definitely go to your local branch, do not call. Sit down with the bank rep and respectfully explain the situation and ask for their help. If they see that you are not a habitual offender they will probably work with you. Because of Congress' looking at them many banks are trying hard to look like they are cleaning up their acts.

While riding around your route I bet you can find a number of widowed women who would love to have a young man do some of the chores they can't do and need done.

Isn't that illegal in most states?

even if it wasn't, in this day and age people are suspicious of strangers knocking on their door offering help

might do him more harm than good

on that note, i don't mean to impose or tell you what to do, i don't know any of your circumstances but one thing comes to mind, maybe consider getting a second job?

even if it wasn't, in this day and age people are suspicious of strangers knocking on their door offering help

on that note, i don't mean to impose or tell you what to do, i don't know any of your circumstances but one thing comes to mind, maybe consider getting a second job?

No, a young man doing part-time odd jobs in his neighborhood is not illegal, as much as many young men would like for it to be.

There ya go. Forget "willing", replace it with "I have a thousand excuses why I can't make any money" and you have today's mindset.

Sheesh! :)

YES... however, the OP and several of us here are from BC CANADA... of course legal is one thing and done is another... everywhere. :)

WE are starting to feel some of the economic recovery from the 'collapse', but many towns especially the area the OP comes from (and here) are resource based. Many also have felt the collapse caused by the softwood lumber restrictions that were placed by a former US administration, then released under orders from the world... That was sad and unjustified, and I'm not sure that it is entirely settled yet. Point is that many are still hurting from that and other problems... but there is an improving economy here and elsewhere.

I agree and have said that $30 isn't all that tough to obtain by some means... I'm also not a PM for other reasons... I will someday do that... biggest reasons is that other than viewing PMOCs there isn't all that much for ME (singular case) I can't use downloads of caches other than processing with GSAK and I can do that with .loc files fine for my purposes. I do agree that people should support the game and indeed others playing the game... but it is indeed different for individuals in differing conditions.

I like to see some humour injected to the forums, as well as pictures and artwork, intelligent comment, views, opinions (civil presentation), and tricks of the trade. I try to contribute to all of those where possible.

This is not a rant, but might seem that way... IT IS NOT... and for certain only the first line if for you alone.

We all have different problems and strengths... some need some moral support to manage.

Doug

Edited by 7rxc

No, a young man doing part-time odd jobs in his neighborhood is not illegal, as much as many young men would like for it to be.

There ya go. Forget "willing", replace it with "I have a thousand excuses why I can't make any money" and you have today's mindset.

Sheesh! :)

It was a joke about widowed women and a young man, not a criticism.

If I recall you said you ride a bicycle to run your paper route, ...

Bzzzt! Wrong!

I walk my route, only driving my car to several "staging points". I can't balance on an infinitely-thin line, therefore I can't ride a bike.

Edited by DENelson83

I guess it depends on the chore. :)

We've had a lot of snow this year, but it has finally been melting. I have a dog. Need I say more? $30.

We have been white but not as much as usual... just starting up again... major avalanche incident up at Revelstoke this pm... that's way to much, but not that far away.

Even the OPs hometown was supposed to have had it's first snow of the year last night... not sure if that happened or not. The Olympics definitely caused a melt down... the Paralympics have just started and might go the other way, snowed out... Life is ironic.

Doug

We've had a lot of snow this year, but it has finally been melting. I have a dog. Need I say more? $30.

We have been white but not as much as usual... just starting up again... major avalanche incident up at Revelstoke this pm... that's way to much, but not that far away.

Even the OPs hometown was supposed to have had it's first snow of the year last night... not sure if that happened or not. The Olympics definitely caused a melt down... the Paralympics have just started and might go the other way, snowed out... Life is ironic.

Doug

:rolleyes: what? ;)

Doug

:rolleyes: what? ;)

OH..I see the confusion... originally I thought KC was recommending snow shovelling and dog walking as forms of income... on re reading it in light of your "what" I realize that cleaning up the yard was what was in mind... I was commenting on the chances of shovelling finally arriving in some snow challenged areas.

Also on the fact that I was freshly aware that there has been a multi victim avalanche near by as a result of that storm... that story is not for here... see the news... I'm SAR so we have the potential to get called in as late relief for the first crews.. but more likely will have to be available locally. Of course most of this thread is away from the original topic... that was resolved in the first few postings. The discussions of how one might earn 30 bucks has taken up most of it. There are lots of us throughout the world who have cash flow problems recently through no fault of our own entirely... we need the moral support sometimes, and to give it the rest of the time... eh!

As for the Olympics and snowfall... They seem to have a strange, unknown effect on that... either too much or too little... what can I say? Perhaps they cause el Ninos. That is off topic for sure.

Doug

It was a joke about widowed women and a young man, not a criticism.

I love how Knight2000 was the only other one to get that joke

:rolleyes:

Lots of people got it, they just had the good taste to ignore it.

I found the people who said things like 'Is it really illegal to offer to help people?' funny

Man if $30 puts you in the red you have some bigger problems I would suggest Credit Counseling like yesterday.

Scubasonic

Wow.

There have been times in my life where I have had to live paycheck to paycheck, and I don't think I ever had anyone be so condescending to me as that came across.

Sometimes, times are tough, and "advice" like that is just plain rude. Granted, a number of the responses in this thread can be viewed as such, but that seems to be par for the course here.

Edited by maggi101