Help I am overwhelmed

Ok so I want to buy a GPS. Everytime I think I am leaning in one direction, I find some review that changes my mind. I live the Garmin colorado300 but I saw a review that said it was really slow to locate you.

Then I liked the Oregon 200 but saw bad reviews on that

Then Liked the Dakota 20, but saw bad review.

No I am wondering if I should even get a Garmin.

My head hurts from all the reading. Please any advice. I live in Canada so want to be able to put on Canadian maps. Also I like paperless, and dont they all have compasses.

Alot of these reviews contain posts from people with either unrealistic expectations, or are overly nit picky. I've got an Oregon 400t and absolutely love the thing - I don't quite understand what some people are complaining about with the screen brightness - I've never had a problem using it here in Sunny San Diego. Even in the desert at high noon I can still make out what the screen shows just fine by tilting the angle of the unit just slightly.

The trick is to get 2900 mAh rechargeable batteries and set the screen backlight to "always on". Doing this I can see the screen just fine and the batteries last a full day - never turning off the unit. I guess some people are too busy complaining instead of figuring out a way around the problem...

Everything has a few negative reviews. Wade through a few and see if they're serious issues or personal preference. Some things do straddle the line - screen brightness, for example, but buying from a reputable company with a good return policy can mitigate that - if you hate it you can return it and try another.

For what it's worth, I haven't had a real problem out of my Garmin Dakota 20. The WAAS issue is a little annoying (it has difficulty getting a WAAS lock right now) but doesn't seem to render the unit useless for geocaching by any means! The screen is readable - no, it's not as bright as the 60csx screen but it does have that nice touch interface.

Best bet, like I said: pick one, buy from somewhere you can return it with no hassles, try it. If you hate it swap it for one that suits you better, if you don't keep it.

Ok so I want to buy a GPS. Everytime I think I am leaning in one direction, I find some review that changes my mind. I live the Garmin colorado300 but I saw a review that said it was really slow to locate you.

My head hurts from all the reading. Please any advice. I live in Canada so want to be able to put on Canadian maps. Also I like paperless, and dont they all have compasses.

I suggest that you give consideration to what features are important to you and how much you want to spend. As an example, is geocaching the number one use. If so, is paperless caching important to you. Do you like touch screen. Do you want to be able to log finds directly on to the unit. Then consider your budget. Next, go to a reliable retail store and try out units that fit into your wants and budget. Stores like REI are super because you can try out the units and get a feel for them. REI also has a great return policy, so if you find you don't like the unit you can return it.

I have an Oregon 300 which I like very much. It is not perfect, and there are some things that I wish were different. As an example, the screen leaves something to be desired, and I wish it were brighter. However, by reading this forum and the wiki I've been able to "tweak" it to get acceptable results. I love the touch screen, ease of use, and geocaching "friendlines" of the unit. Battery life is acceptable, and it appears to be a sturdy unit.

Go try some units out. Then make your decision based on features that you like.

OldA'sFan

A few of the cachers I know have the oregon or colorado and like it. some have the etrex vista or the 60 I use the PN-20 or 40 we all seem to end up at the same place.

The 20 & 40 plus the upper end Garmins are paperless which is really nice. Delorme comes with maps Garmin either you purchase them or locate the site that has free downloads.

Each GPS has it strengths and weakness's check out Delormes forum http://forum.delorme.com/

Edited by rambrush

I have an Oregon 200, and find it really good for geocaching. It is paperless, and I have just got back from a day's geocaching with 2600 mAh batteries without having to change them once (but I do carry spares), and I found every cache with it. It also marked the track on the train journey without faltering. The only negative issue I have with it is the screen could be a bit brighter, but it is still plenty good enough for me! It also wasn't too expensive.

Alot of these reviews contain posts from people with either unrealistic expectations, or are overly nit picky. I've got an Oregon 400t and absolutely love the thing - I don't quite understand what some people are complaining about with the screen brightness - I've never had a problem using it here in Sunny San Diego. Even in the desert at high noon I can still make out what the screen shows just fine by tilting the angle of the unit just slightly.

The trick is to get 2900 mAh rechargeable batteries and set the screen backlight to "always on". Doing this I can see the screen just fine and the batteries last a full day - never turning off the unit. I guess some people are too busy complaining instead of figuring out a way around the problem...

I agree with this person to the tenth. I have used them all. Being a field surveyor for 30 years I started using Garmins back in 1992 when they cost $1000.00 and they had a removable antenna.I have flown with helicopter pilots that have several different models and brands and know a " LOT " of geocachers etc...

Buy what you want and get used to the quirks and as you get used to them..then decide which one is the best. I suggest you buy a cheaper model, I like a GPX60 which is still my favourite Bush Model ;) and if it is strictly a geocaching model..a Dakota will serve you very well without breaking your bank book. I have used Magellans and one other model brand but I love the garmin since 92 and still do...look I`m a Poet and I know it..hope that helps....dronnord :)

the pn-40 is nice but it will not last in the back country unless u plan on backing in some serious batteries. i have and love the garmin gpsmap 60csx now and get about 18hrs per battery charge. it has turn by turn and great for cacheing. it has never let me get lost in the woods or after dark EVER

I have had a couple of different units and the Garmin 400T fit great for me. I was able to hit the ground running with it and use it right away. They did a good job on making it user friendly. Plus, it will do Wherigo's and is paperless. I tried the DeLorme PN-40 and sent it back after 10 days of trying to figure it out.

honestly, quit reading old reviews....most the negative ones are just lemons of any maker or old before they came out with updates...

Quit looking into it so much, everyone does what your doing at some time, I know I did it...ended up getting a Colorado 300 on clearance at Best Buy...Seriously they are all pretty close, if you want touch screen get the Cheap Oregon and get the free maps, if you dont want or care for touch get the Colorado cheapest you can find and get the free maps.

Im sure any other major brand will be fine as well, the only thing I can say is that Garmin is more prevalent out in the world so its alot easier to get free maps and such for them. Any of the new units from any maker will do just fine and you will find just as many complaints about any of them, but most are pretty good right now with all the firmware and software updates applied, so quit fretting and just get one you like.

Edited by RangerR47