Oregon x50 gets custom symbols, daily tracklog archives and more

http://tinyurl.com/ycv6tor

Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.26:

* Added ability to change active track color.

* Added custom waypoint and geocache symbols.

* Added track archive options.

* See the Trailtech Blog (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/trail-tech/) for details on track archiving and custom symbols. Please report any problems with beta software to oregonbeta@garmin.com.

Nice additions, wonder when they will get to the x50 WAAS issues?

Did you notice a difference in the startup after updating to 3.26? I did...... unit "saw" zero sats to begin with then started picking up one solid bar , then another, then another, all starting on the left hand side of the sat bar chart.

Finally it got over to the WAAS sat 51 which came up full strength but hollow, then I got a couple of Ds , then a couple more and then 51 turned solid. Only took about 2-3 min, maybe barely longer.

Acted like it was acquiring a whole new almanac ......

We can only hope that "they" are doing something......

Nice additions, wonder when they will get to the x50 WAAS issues?

Did you notice a difference in the startup after updating to 3.26? I did...... unit "saw" zero sats to begin with then started picking up one solid bar , then another, then another, all starting on the left hand side of the sat bar chart.

Finally it got over to the WAAS sat 51 which came up full strength but hollow, then I got a couple of Ds , then a couple more and then 51 turned solid. Only took about 2-3 min, maybe barely longer.

Acted like it was acquiring a whole new almanac ......

We can only hope that "they" are doing something......

I have now jumped to 3.26. If I try to save a portion of a track, the saved portion doesn't show up on the device until you shut it down and restart it.

Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.26:

* Added ability to change active track color.

* Added custom waypoint and geocache symbols.

* Added track archive options.

These features are available

[1] menu -> menu -> tracks -> setup -> color. You can pick from 16.

[2] 24 custom symbols can be added via POI Loader and used.

[3] menu -> menu -> tracks -> setup -> data card setup -> log track data to sd card

on a 60/76Cx series product probably three years ago. Granted all three of those were added after the product launched via firmware updates, but all were well before the CO/OR family hit the streets.

So an upgrade to the Oregon x50 which, depending on how you count it, is either two or three generations past a 60Cx, upgrades the number of custom waypoints from 24 to 32? (I know that OR does a lot more than a 60Cx; I'm just focusing on the bullet items from that list.) Seriously?

I can't be the only one that's annoyed that GPS vendors remove features from "upgrade" products then add them back in a few generations. My StreetPilot 2720 doesn't do several things my 2610 did and I miss them. After several generations of Nuvi, many of the features like multi-point routing, tracks, and route avoidances were added back. My Nuvi 350 was such a step backward from the StreetPilot that I still drive with the 2720. Buying a new model when you already have an old model shouldn't require researching what features were dropped.

"Deadline and commitments. What to leave in. What to leave out."

Signed,

The Grumpy GPS Guy

And don't forget....

now that the user can store more Waypoints, Tracks, Routes, etc ....they have "taken away" the option / ability to "List By Name" and "Delete By Symbol"

If you can't remember how a specific item was named, how can you start spelling it?

...and deleting "similar type" of waypoints one by one is a totally unnecessary PITB.

I have now jumped to 3.26. If I try to save a portion of a track, the saved portion doesn't show up on the device until you shut it down and restart it.

Yes, I noticed that too. I thought I'd lost the track I saved yesterday but lo and behold it appeared again when I power cycled it.

Have had two major crashes so far that made me lose all the waypoints and geocaches.

This last crash was so bad that everytime I boot the GPS I get an error message saying that "CANT AUTHENTICATE MAPS".

I have Ibycus 2.1 and CN Navigator 10.40. The map worked fine before the crash.

I tried to reinstall using Mapsource but it still gives me the error...

I am going to reinstall previous version and hope it will fix this issue.