Earl Pitts on ammo cans

In my best Earl Pitts voice (look it up if you dont know)

Wake up America!

Every time someone mentions micros, some one pops up with a remark on how well they would work inside an ammo can

The ammo can is a fine container, but they just to fit every situation.

Sure the ammo can is waterproof and holds lots of swag, but try sticking one to the back of a guard rail.

There are many urban caches out there and if it weren't for micros we would be no where near the 1 million mark

Time to wake up and smell the coffee, micros have their place as well as ammo cans and deserve some respect.

This is Earl Pitts signing off

Pitts off

Ok, that wasn't really Earl but you get the idea

Though I realize that ammo cans just don't fit everywhere.....

I think you may be missing the point some folks are trying to make.

• Many micro containers tend to leak - placing in an ammocan would fix that
  • Many find that gaurdrails just are not a place they want to visit - what they are saying is if an ammocan won't fit - might not be a good place for a cache.
  • Quality is more important than quantity (most everybody agrees here)

...just sayin'

:laughing::P

Edited by StarBrand

While I don't necessarily agree with everything you said, I will agree that comments like that are wearisome and unoriginal at best, snarky and lamge at worst. Very recently, someone started a thread here in a helpful attempt to inform us of a good by on a reasonably good micro container. The very first response to his initiative was a slam just like the one that you mentioned. The second response was a snickering agreement.

You know what makes me sick? You know what makes me sick is when people hide caches in guard rails in the first place. Really, what is the point? I know I sure don't like to stop on the side of a road and have to search along a narrow bridge with heavy traffic. I don't do them anyways. That is my Wake Up America comment.

Sure the ammo can is waterproof and holds lots of swag, but try sticking one to the back of a guard rail.

ammocan-mini_500.jpg

I've never hidden a cache on a guard rail but if I had one of those, that's exactly where I'd probably put it. I *have* seen some guard rail caches in some pretty amazing locations though. One called MA From VT comes to mind....uh oh, I'm not getting a response form geocaching.com...let's see if this posts

You know what makes me sick? You know what makes me sick is when people hide caches in guard rails in the first place. Really, what is the point? I know I sure don't like to stop on the side of a road and have to search along a narrow bridge with heavy traffic. I don't do them anyways. That is my Wake Up America comment.

You left out the part about it making you so angry you want to soak part of your anatomy in a bucket of toxic waste :P

Not all guard rails are created equal. See the one I mentioned in another response called MA From VT (GCHQAT). When I found it I was driving to Vermont from Maine and wasn't really watching my GPS for nearby caches along the route I was taking. The spot was so spectacular that we stopped for a bit to take in the view. I figured there has to be a cache here and checked using the iPhone geocaching app and discovered there was one about 150' from where I had parked.

When a cache is placed in a location that one would want to visit even if a cache wasn't placed there it's usually pretty special. I would guess that of the 452 finders of the MA From VT cache few if any of them care about a guard rail.

While I don't necessarily agree with everything you said, I will agree that comments like that are wearisome and unoriginal at best, snarky and lamge at worst. Very recently, someone started a thread here in a helpful attempt to inform us of a good by on a reasonably good micro container. The very first response to his initiative was a slam just like the one that you mentioned. The second response was a snickering agreement.

I've used the container mentioned. They do best in an ammo can. Leaked enough to be a problem. But that aside it is just a bit of silliness. If every old joke of questionable humor were permanently retired I'd not have a thing left to post.

In mountainous areas, like mine, there are often guardrails even along scenic roads, side roads, back alleys, even areas without roads. I've been to a couple of guardrail caches, and liked most of them. One in particular was a seldom-used road with plenty of nearby parking, an amazing view of Los Angeles, and a place that I've gone back to since finding it. As another poster mentioned, not all guard rail caches are created equally.

In mountainous areas, like mine, there are often guardrails even along scenic roads, side roads, back alleys, even areas without roads. I've been to a couple of guardrail caches, and liked most of them. One in particular was a seldom-used road with plenty of nearby parking, an amazing view of Los Angeles, and a place that I've gone back to since finding it. As another poster mentioned, not all guard rail caches are created equally.

Yeah, but the OP is from Ohio. I could be wrong, but there's probably not too many scenic guardrails there. :P

Yeah, but the OP is from Ohio. I could be wrong, but there's probably not too many scenic guardrails there. ;)

Yeah, Kansas doesn't have a whole lot of beautiful guard rails. My experiences with guard rail caches are mainly due to one cacher who is known for practically throwing caches out the window as he drives by. So, my frustration with guard rails is suffering from some tunnel vision. I agree that guard rails have their place when a beautiful view is to be seen, yet, ones that are on a bridge looking over a muddy old creek on the highway are slightly ridiculous. Wow, I have never vented about this before. This feels good!

My favourite is the ammo can under the lampskirt.

I don't even know who Earl Pitts is, so I will just smile and pretend I get the joke.

;)

I don't know either, so I'll just insert the voice of the guy who does all those modern weapons shows on cable...I think he's played a Drill Seargent in a bunch of movies? Full Metal Jacket??

Everyone should know Earl Pitts! Check him out here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUpHeCmDEDA...feature=related

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

are mainly due to one cacher who is known for practically throwing caches out the window as he drives by.

I have never laughed so hard at a comment on the internet until I read this. It is so true, the basically do throw them out the window and into the guard rail as their driving by and getting the GPS coordinates without leaving the car (or slowing down).

At a campfire during an event a while back, a cacher mentioned utilizing a film can cannon.

Kinda like a potato gun, but it launches film cans instead.

Drive down the road, shooting them every time the odometer ticks.

Grab the best coords you can as you drive by at 60 MPH.

Pray the FTF posts better coords.

If not, up the D/T rating. :)

At a campfire during an event a while back, a cacher mentioned utilizing a film can cannon.

Kinda like a potato gun, but it launches film cans instead.

Drive down the road, shooting them every time the odometer ticks.

Grab the best coords you can as you drive by at 60 MPH.

Pray the FTF posts better coords.

If not, up the D/T rating. :rolleyes:

OMG! Can you just IMAGINE what it would be like if you upscaled that sucker big enough to blast off full sized ammo cans? Now, THAT would be a cannon!
Trebuchets are so last century... or three. :rolleyes:
I didn't think they had the hairspray back then that is used as the propellent for those cannons...and thenI looked at some of the old pictures. Obviously, they not only did, but they had it in excess:

216.jpg

Edited by knowschad