Actions within Zones not showing.

fingers crossed

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to use custom commands (actions) under zones. As I play through on the emulator, the actions show up just fine.

Once I Move it to the Oregon, the actions don't show up.

The zones are all moved at startup (while inactive). I've enabled the command, but it doesn't show.

I'm suspecting it's because the OR isn't at the location of the zone at some point.

No matter what I try, I can't get the command to work. It should be noted that I'm using the URWIGO builder before you ask for LUA code :P

To replicate, I created two zones. Zone 1 has a custom command called 'command'. I run it in the emulator, and the command shows.

I build it to the OR, and the command doesn't.

I didn't want to use real zones as I was working it to be a play anywhere cartridge.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Custom commands for zones don't work on the Garmin players. That's probably because they were introduced some time after the original definition of the player (see the release notes for 5/29/2008).

Oops - forgot to say thanks for the response! I thought I had it working at one point, but I had tried MANY other ways of solving a problem. (See my post on Wherigo and Paranoia from some time ago).

Since URWigo came around I had tried again to get the coding to work (without success).

Since then I think I'll complete it, and leave it as playable in the emulator only :D

this may not be solution to your problem :wub: but, why do you need commands on zones? can't you put an item into the zone and put the command on the item?

This was the route I took the first time, but the problem was approximately 62 items didn't like the Oregon much - it worked to a point and then keeled over :grin:

Thanks for the thought though.

okay now i'm interested. the number looks insane - what in the world do you need with 62 items?

:D - It was a port of an interactive fiction game, a bit like 'Choose your own adventure'. At each stage you had to pick 2 or more options to determine what happened.

There were 62 rooms in the game, which made it 62 zones. In each zone I was originally adding custom commands for each option. Eg: "Go North" and "Go South".

From those commands, it would activate the new zones, and deactivate the old one.

Then I found that custom commands didn't work on the Oregon.

That then meant I had to convert 62 zones to 62 items, and do it that way. Same process, just inactivate the items as I went along.

Then it would work for a few 'items' then promptly shut down the Oregon.

I posted the code on the forums here, and put it on the shelf. With URWigo I tried it again in case it solved any issues, but it seems to be an Oregon/Colorado problem.

well in that case maybe i do have a solution after all ;e)

keep the 62 zones

place one item in each. all the items will be called "what next?" and the commands will be defined on them.

make sure that zones only show items "when inside of zone". then keep activating and deactivating the zones, the items will go with them.

you can move the zones and the items will follow. just make sure that item positions are not set ("position" and "containing object" are separate concepts in Wherigo) and the items will show up without arrows pointing to them, just "here" when you enter the zone

this way only one item will be visible at a time.

for better usability, you can try showing Detail screens in zones' OnEnter events, so that the "what next" choice is visible immediately. but this might (or might not) crash some Oregon units, so you'll have to try and maybe disable this feature on oregons.

alternately, you could show inputs in OnEnter instead, and do the action based on player's answers.