Harassed Because I Published a Premium Members Only Cache

Naw, it's all over [New York]. Mostly Long Island, Syracuse, and Albany areas. I don't think Mr. Repak is going to be stealing any more caches. :D

Some creep was "fouling" caches in the Albany area not long ago. I noticed an increase in PM caches in this area after that.

(sheesh, I'm having troubles with this simple post!)

Now that you mention it, I'd say most are Albany area. I wonder what they all think of me looking at their MOC's just a few minutes ago to see where they were. :) What's up with this Turf War nonsense, I don't get it.

The Turf War caches are a series of caches poking fun at area cachers. They are meant in good fun, but they make little sense to cachers outside the group that participates in placing them.

There are a couple of our most prolific cache placers who seem to only place PM caches recently. While the creep activity in Albany may been the impetus for placing PM caches, these cachers have found placing PM caches very attractive even outside the affected area for some reason I don't understand. I imagine that these cachers are the reason that you've noticed the spike in PM caches here.

Having taken part in another discussion here I have realised there is quite a split in views about MOCs both with PMs and BMs.

As a BM I have no problem with them and can understand why the slightly added security would be important or wanting to give a FTF prize to a PM.

I treat them just as a different type of puzzle cache and search for them anyway. What I dont quite understand is why the CO would then delete the logs of a BM and this seems to give an even bigger split in views.

This happened on the last 2 I found, but either way I enjoyed the hunt and met a fellow PM geocacher at one of them :-)

The CO of PM caches CANNOT legitimately delete the log of a Basic Member if the cacher found the cache and signed the log book. If this happened to you, contact Groundspeak and they can re-instate and lock your logs.

As for PM caches, I suspect the original concept occurred when GS was creating the Premium Membership feature and needed things to include in the offering. PM's were simple to implement and added to the value of the PM.

What I don't understand is why people get bent out of shape about them. Ignoring them is pretty easy. And they represent a very very small percentage of caches out there. Surely, those who don't like MOC's can find lots of other caches to find.

All of my caches are MOC. I originally started it to prevent one local cacher from knowing where my caches were. He got twisted up because I helped another cacher with one of his multi's when a stage was missing. The cacher threatened to find and steal all of my caches. The humorous part was when he actually bought a PM to see my caches, even though he hadn't found a cache in two years and has never found one since. If you want some interesting reading, here is a link to his complaint about me helping a fellow cacher:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=143930&hl=

I have continued to make my caches MOC because I enjoy seeing the Audit Log and seeing listing visits from all over the world. I doubt many CO's created their caches as MOC because they feel PM's are better cachers than BM's. I certainly didn't. And I have no problem with BM's logging finds on my caches.

Edited by Tequila

Now that you mention it, I'd say most are Albany area. I wonder what they all think of me looking at their MOC's just a few minutes ago to see where they were. :) What's up with this Turf War nonsense, I don't get it.

I see a hot spot of of MOC's when I look at Ontario. I haven't heard of any muggle problems around here, so I winder what gives?

It must be an awful thing to "winder", :D . See my post above for explanation of Ontario "hot spot".

Edited by Tequila

Mine was public, but now it is a MOC and all my future ones will be too. I've had some issues come up from disrespectful 'cachers that could very well ruin it for everybody. Not only did I make the switch to help the site, but to hopefully cut down on issues I would not expect as often with PMs.

Having taken part in another discussion here I have realised there is quite a split in views about MOCs both with PMs and BMs.

As a BM I have no problem with them and can understand why the slightly added security would be important or wanting to give a FTF prize to a PM.

I treat them just as a different type of puzzle cache and search for them anyway. What I dont quite understand is why the CO would then delete the logs of a BM and this seems to give an even bigger split in views.

This happened on the last 2 I found, but either way I enjoyed the hunt and met a fellow PM geocacher at one of them :-)

The CO of PM caches CANNOT legitimately delete the log of a Basic Member if the cacher found the cache and signed the log book. If this happened to you, contact Groundspeak and they can re-instate and lock your logs.

Bzzt. Wrong. :) I was in that other thread (don't have it handy, and I have to run), but Stanolli did indeed get their logs deleted on two MOC's AND The Groundspeak lackey sided with the elitist I mean cache owner. I suggested it was a low ranking lackey who didn't go follow through up the chain of command, but The Frog did side with the CO.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I've created 23 caches and never have I entertained the idea of making them PMO. Of all the caches I've placed, I've only had 1 muggling issue and it would've been an issue wether it was PMO or not.

I've never understood the desire to make a cache PMO, except in the case of a cache in a sensitive area where foot traffic should be limited.

I think careful consideration of the hiding spot will make your cache much 'safer' than PMO status ever will.

Mine was public, but now it is a MOC and all my future ones will be too. I've had some issues come up from disrespectful 'cachers that could very well ruin it for everybody. Not only did I make the switch to help the site, but to hopefully cut down on issues I would not expect as often with PMs.

It is statements like this that can cause problems. If I am reading this correctly, you are expecting less issues because only PMs will visit your caches. That would imply that PMs give cause less issues than basic members.

It is statements like this that can cause problems. If I am reading this correctly, you are expecting less issues because only PMs will visit your caches. That would imply that PMs give cause less issues than basic members.

Although there are many basic members which cause no problems, and a few premium members that do, overall the premium members tend to be more "into" caching and careful.

Although there are many basic members which cause no problems, and a few premium members that do, overall the premium members tend to be more "into" caching and careful.

I would debate that. I'd challenge the vets to think back to their first few cache finds. Remember your views on the importance of replacing the cache as found and looking out for muggles. Remember taking those extra few seconds or minutes just to make sure you were replacing the cache as found.

Now fast forward to that cache you found today or yesterday. Did you take the same care to replace the cache as found or did you lazily replace it and move on to the next cache? Did muggles even enter the equation? Did you compromise a hide because "you'll just have to come back again for it" or "you're trying to clear an area"? After all, it's 'just another micro' right?

I wonder if the more 'into' caching you are, the more individual etiquette and responisbility to individual caches become lost in the race for more caches and more numbers.

I would debate that. I'd challenge the vets to think back to their first few cache finds. Remember your views on the importance of replacing the cache as found and looking out for muggles. Remember taking those extra few seconds or minutes just to make sure you were replacing the cache as found.

Now fast forward to that cache you found today or yesterday. Did you take the same care to replace the cache as found or did you lazily replace it and move on to the next cache? Did muggles even enter the equation? Did you compromise a hide because "you'll just have to come back again for it" or "you're trying to clear an area"? After all, it's 'just another micro' right?

I wonder if the more 'into' caching you are, the more individual etiquette and responisbility to individual caches become lost in the race for more caches and more numbers.

Since this is my ninth anniversary today, I'll jump in and answer. If anything I take more care about rehiding caches, because I've learned a lot more about caching since when I began. Fewer caches, spread across longer distances meant less chance of them being found. Now they are much easier to be found by anyone, so more care in making sure they aren't in plain sight/obvious is needed.

It makes no difference what size of cache it is, it gets the care.

The implied insult to long time cachers is a little over the top.

Since this is my ninth anniversary today, I'll jump in and answer. If anything I take more care about rehiding caches, because I've learned a lot more about caching since when I began. Fewer caches, spread across longer distances meant less chance of them being found. Now they are much easier to be found by anyone, so more care in making sure they aren't in plain sight/obvious is needed.

It makes no difference what size of cache it is, it gets the care.

The implied insult to long time cachers is a little over the top.

There's no implied insult. Granted I haven't been here 9 years (just had my 3 year anniversary), but I said this based on my own experience. Maybe this should go in the confess your sins thread, but I admit that I've gotten a cache in front of a muggle cuz I didn't want to come back for it later. I doubt I would have done that when I started.

Either way, the point is that I don't think you can say that premium members take better care of caches than non premium members.

I'm in New York State too. I regularly surf the listings of the newest caches in our Empire State, and the last 6 months or so I've noticed tons of new caches in other sections of the State are Members Only. I'd say 20% some weeks. I never track them though, maybe it's one of those deals where people just make them MOC's when they're new, and they remove the restriction later. I have not noticed this in Pa. or Ontario, where I also surf the new listings.

Urkman, my only micro is a MOC. My reason, cause I wanted to.

Being sorta new to geocaching. I don't know if this story helps or not but it sure gets a chuckle out of my husband some nights.

I have hid one cache was planing on 2 the daughter found a sweet spot in a near by park,where I get off the bus from work everyday.

well we listed it for review we got back a note that says we have to move it because we are 80 feet from another active cache.

So I went to the site and bingo there is a PM cache about that far away.So I went through and the next closest PM cache is about 20/25 miles away.(we travel by bus)

So I didn't want to fork over the cash for the one near by.I have not sent any nasty emails to the CO.

no point in that.

but I have been a little late some nights LOL!!

:)