Harassed Because I Published a Premium Members Only Cache

Here's something to think about: The Groundspeak knowledge base article on "who is watching my cache". They can't reveal that for "privacy reasons". So I don't think I'm so crazy after all for thinking the audit log is an invasion of privacy.

That's pretty interesting.

But it must not be an invasion of privacy to show who visits your page? Weird.

I don't get that either.

Asked TPTB a number of times in the website forum and either they don't understand or could give two hoots. If someone can stay "hidden" while watching one of my caches, I should be able to do the same when "just looking at 'em."

I have to sorta agree with WU, or maybe a different viewpoint (why we have forums) - two sides to the coin kinda thing...

I don't PQ a zillion caches at a clip (and not bothering to go for half), but click on each separately those I choose to do. I may click on a cache page a dozen times before deciding to go after it, maybe it's in the area of another I'd like to hit.

Opposite of the OP, I was harassed daily by a CO on "when are you gonna get this?" (MOC) that I clicked on a number of times. Got to the point that I was ready for an email to Groundspeak. During, another post on this subject came up in forums and the emails stopped. Can only assume they read the posts and found they were bordering on creepy.

Looking to maybe assist with a hint or a friendly greeting is one thing, anal retentive is another.

Earlier someone posted MOCs "tend to be "safer and better organized." Really ?

The cache may be PMO, but doesn't always mean "premium" hide...

Within thirty miles of me is probably a hundred guard rail, road sign and lamp post skirts that are MOC. Somehow I don't feel any safer along the side of the road or in Walmart's parking lot simply because it's MOC and a "paid" member placed it. Maybe they're better organized...

Of the 379 MOCs within a 200 mile radius of my home coordinates 307 are traditionals. So, basically, the only thing hidden is the description and hints. The coordinates can be revealed with a little URL manipulation. Add this to the work around for logging these caches I have to ask, "what's the point?"

I know some hide caches behind MOCs for security and to reduce the visits from geophytes, but a better solution for that is a simple puzzle or multi as $30 turns the non-paying geophyte into a PM geophyte.

I just roll my eyes at the notion of any arm twisting or "rewarding" others for being PMs. It's cool that you get warm-fuzzies over it, but in reality it's just a justification. I couldn't care less for that reward. I'd be much more pleased with a decent cache, thankyouverymuch. (Which seems to be rarer and rarer these days percentage-wise.)

Making a cache MOC does not protect a cache from rogue cachers as evidenced recently up North nor does it protect from muggles. It only protects from those who might use the site casually to steal ammo cans or harass a few cachers. It's minimal protection at best.

If you have a good reason to make a cache MOC then ignore any naysayers. If not, then you might want to reflect on why you did it.

Here's something to think about: The Groundspeak knowledge base article on "who is watching my cache". They can't reveal that for "privacy reasons". So I don't think I'm so crazy after all for thinking the audit log is an invasion of privacy.

That's pretty interesting.

But it must not be an invasion of privacy to show who visits your page? Weird.

I don't get that either.

Asked TPTB a number of times in the website forum and either they don't understand or could give two hoots. If someone can stay "hidden" while watching one of my caches, I should be able to do the same when "just looking at 'em."

I have to sorta agree with WU, or maybe a different viewpoint (why we have forums) - two sides to the coin kinda thing...

I don't PQ a zillion caches at a clip (and not bothering to go for half), but click on each separately those I choose to do. I may click on a cache page a dozen times before deciding to go after it, maybe it's in the area of another I'd like to hit.

Opposite of the OP, I was harassed daily by a CO on "when are you gonna get this?" (MOC) that I clicked on a number of times. Got to the point that I was ready for an email to Groundspeak. During, another post on this subject came up in forums and the emails stopped. Can only assume they read the posts and found they were bordering on creepy.

Looking to maybe assist with a hint or a friendly greeting is one thing, anal retentive is another.

Earlier someone posted MOCs "tend to be "safer and better organized." Really ?

The cache may be PMO, but doesn't always mean "premium" hide...

Within thirty miles of me is probably a hundred guard rail, road sign and lamp post skirts that are MOC. Somehow I don't feel any safer along the side of the road or in Walmart's parking lot simply because it's MOC and a "paid" member placed it. Maybe they're better organized...

Now your story sounded very familiar. I quickly remembered I'd heard it in an MOC thread in the Mid-Atlantic forum, where another NEPA resident was receiving "you looked at my cache page x number of times, when are you going to find it?" emails. I think it was Whistler, but don't quote me on that. I know if I was from NEPA, I'd be using alternative methods to get MOC coordinates. ;)

Your last paragraph, that sounds like one of those making your caches MOC's to "reward" people for supporting the website deals. I've never got this one either. I don't think people who make their caches MOC's for such a reason realize what a teeny percentage of Geocachers are premium members with hundreds or thousands of finds. The overwhelming majority of them are quite casual.

Back in 2005 or 2006, there were actually 100 or more MOC's in my area where I suppose the people made them MOC's for that reason, or even just because they could. But many of them are archived or had the status removed, and I've only seen about 3 or 4 new MOC's in my area in the last couple of years.

Well, I'm not here to amuse you. ;) But I did indeed click on an MOC in California while surfing geocaching.com Google Maps once, (and had no idea it was an MOC) and had some nosey chick email me and ask me why I looked at her cache page. Of course all after she investigated my profile to see where I was from. None of her dadgum business, thank you very much. People who say they like the audit log so they can see who looked at their cache are just nosey. :)

The audit log is way too "Big Brother is watching you" for my tastes. Many people have expressed such an opinion in these forums over the years (and much more so in the older days, when MOC's seemed to be much more controversial). But I'll be more than happy to stand alone with that opinion in this thread.

Would you send me that GC code so I can go see that cache. Better yet, can you post that code so that we can all pay it a visit. I would love for her to see a bunch of random cacher names from everywhere. Bet she would waste a lot of time in follow up emails!

I have no recollection at all. It was on the California coast somewhere though. That should narrow it down. ;)

As I recall...

Most (if not all) websites collect this kind of information:

The time you viewed the page.

Your I.P. address.

What browser you were using.

What webpage you navigated from.

What webpage you navigated to when you left.

Possibly more...

Yup, just a little more though.

I've found it really interesting when people try to get behind the scenes at my hosted pages. It's funny to see them come from a place like craigslist and leave to go look at pron.

As I recall...

Most (if not all) websites collect this kind of information:

The time you viewed the page.

Your I.P. address.

What browser you were using.

What webpage you navigated from.

What webpage you navigated to when you left.

Possibly more...

Yes, but generally they don't make that information available to the general public.

If you feel they are harassing you, report it. I reported a cacher for harassment last year. I assumed the cacher would have gotten a warning. Turns out that Groundspeak takes it very seariously and banned the cacher for a week.

If more people stand up to bullies, there is a good chance the bullies will learn their kind is not welcome in Geocaching.

If you feel they are harassing you, report it. I reported a cacher for harassment last year. I assumed the cacher would have gotten a warning. Turns out that Groundspeak takes it very seariously and banned the cacher for a week.

If more people stand up to bullies, there is a good chance the bullies will learn their kind is not welcome in Geocaching.

Wow! Good to know, thanks.

Today, while I was reading this thread discussing a cache that was plagued by cachers not rehiding the cache properly and people posting stuff like "I hate this hide" I went searching. I went through that OP's caches found to see if I could find the cache in question. I did, but first I bumped back into the cache that spurred this thread!

I have to wonder if, perhaps, the stories are related? :wub:

On a side note, the cacher who was bothering the OP here will now be able to find the other cache, as the CO has removed the PMO status. . . :grin:

But I did indeed click on an MOC in California while surfing geocaching.com Google Maps once, (and had no idea it was an MOC) and had some nosey chick email me and ask me why I looked at her cache page. Of course all after she investigated my profile to see where I was from.

Amuse us all, post her gc number and lets see how fast she can send out those emails! :wub:

Today, while I was reading this thread discussing a cache that was plagued by cachers not rehiding the cache properly and people posting stuff like "I hate this hide" I went searching. I went through that OP's caches found to see if I could find the cache in question. I did, but first I bumped back into the cache that spurred this thread!

I have to wonder if, perhaps, the stories are related? :anibad:

On a side note, the cacher who was bothering the OP here will now be able to find the other cache, as the CO has removed the PMO status. . . :smile:

Nope, stories aren't related at all. At least I don't think. Is someone harassing the other cache owner too now?

Anyhow, your investigative skills are incredible. Have I seen you on TV before on that show where you take your sunglasses off just before a Who song begins playing? :lol:

I have to wonder if, perhaps, the stories are related? :anibad:

On a side note, the cacher who was bothering the OP here will now be able to find the other cache, as the CO has removed the PMO status. . . :smile:

Nope, stories aren't related at all. At least I don't think. Is someone harassing the other cache owner too now?
Not that I'm aware of, but two threads about complaints about caches in the same area? I thought it was a bit too much of a coincidence to be a . . .

. . . coincidence. :P

Anyhow, your investigative skills are incredible. Have I seen you on TV before on that show where you take your sunglasses off just before a Who song begins playing? :lol:
Heh. . . It helped that the link to the cache was highlighted, telling me I'd visited the link already.

Plus, the name of the cache is a familiar word from one of my favorite movies. :cool:

I don't get it. Personally I don't really see the point in making a cache a PM only (though apparently some do) but I've probably found one or two (don't know, been a PM most of my geocaching life), and I certainly don't see the point in complaining about it either.

If a cache owner chooses to make a cache PM only then that's their call and their reasons are their own. They will likely get fewer finds than if they hadn't.

Of all the things I've heard of people complaining about in the geocaching world this is a first for me.

I found a cache listing this this in the listing. It has since been removed.

Note for those that are opposed to Premium Member only caches : The reason I have listed this cache as Premium Member only is due to the sensitivity of the camo. I did not want to risk a "newbie" not replacing it properly and spoiling the experience for the next cacher.

Looks like the cache owner was saying newbies can't be trusted when in fact according to another thread, either can premium members. I took offense to this being on the listing but chose not to single out a specific cache owner.

I don't get it. Personally I don't really see the point in making a cache a PM only (though apparently some do) but I've probably found one or two (don't know, been a PM most of my geocaching life), and I certainly don't see the point in complaining about it either.

If a cache owner chooses to make a cache PM only then that's their call and their reasons are their own. They will likely get fewer finds than if they hadn't.

Of all the things I've heard of people complaining about in the geocaching world this is a first for me.

To be honest unless someone else points it out I am not sure I would notice if a cache was PMO or not.

I found a cache listing this this in the listing. It has since been removed.

Note for those that are opposed to Premium Member only caches : The reason I have listed this cache as Premium Member only is due to the sensitivity of the camo. I did not want to risk a "newbie" not replacing it properly and spoiling the experience for the next cacher.

Looks like the cache owner was saying newbies can't be trusted when in fact according to another thread, either can premium members. I took offense to this being on the listing but chose not to single out a specific cache owner.

Wow! I know exactly the cache you're speaking of!

Really!

The CO has removed the PMO status, not just the note, right? :anibad:

To be honest unless someone else points it out I am not sure I would notice if a cache was PMO or not.

I wouldn't either. Looking back I see that I did find one recently, a rest area cache (hardly a park 'n grab one) of all things. So I guess I have found at least one, didn't know it at the time though. Seems like a silly thing to get upset about in any case.

It's a lot easier to tell from the NON PM side though... but isn't all that important if it is... lots of other caches out there.

Doug

Something similar happened to me, recently.

I had emailed a cache owner local to me known for her devious, tough hides/puzzles, asking for a hint to onesuch puzzle. I got back a ranting screed about how dare I hunt her caches, when most of mine were PMO's. I was floored, to say the least.

So I thought about it for a bit. I decided to make a few of my caches non-PMO's.

After I did that, I got an email from another cacher who asked me why my last couple caches weren't PMO's anymore? And then he proceeded to lecture me about why PMO's were better.

Rock, meet hard place. :) As another poster said, you cannot please everyone. I think with any future hides, I'll go on a cache-by-cache basis.

Bottom line, I will try to place good, solid hides that will enrich the game and not detract from it, regardless of PMO status or not.

With PMO caches I come down on the fence. I won't make any of my caches PMO because I want everyone to hunt them but as I am a PM I will hunt PMOs.

I pay my membership purely for the ability to run PQs and give no thought to whether what I'm hunting is PMO or not.

A few locals have had cache maggots so all their hides are now PMO which in their cases has stopped the infestation. If this ever happens to me I will move all my caches and PMO them.

Now, about the audit. Yes it can come off a bit Orwellian but I prefer to look at it from this angle. A friend of mine hides PMOs and uses the audit to try and figure out which of the local FTF hounds is going to go for it.

PMO is an option to be used or ignored but never as an excuse to abuse other cachers.

With PMO caches I come down on the fence. I won't make any of my caches PMO because I want everyone to hunt them but as I am a PM I will hunt PMOs.

I pay my membership purely for the ability to run PQs and give no thought to whether what I'm hunting is PMO or not.

A few locals have had cache maggots so all their hides are now PMO which in their cases has stopped the infestation. If this ever happens to me I will move all my caches and PMO them.

Now, about the audit. Yes it can come off a bit Orwellian but I prefer to look at it from this angle. A friend of mine hides PMOs and uses the audit to try and figure out which of the local FTF hounds is going to go for it.

PMO is an option to be used or ignored but never as an excuse to abuse other cachers.

Well said and Hear, Hear!

On a side note, I have a number of PM caches and will always stand up to someone's bullying.

I am not convinced that MOC's are an effective way of preventing theft. Although I was able to prove a specific cacher vandalized one of my MOC caches. But that was because he was too stupid to cover his own tracks. :) The audit log was just icing on the cake.

Couple of questions. Was it a premium member that you claim vandalized one of your caches? How were you able to prove a specific cacher vandalized one of your caches? Did they admit it or did someone witness it? How did the audit log help?

Interesting topic. Why would any one care if a cache was PM only or not? Seems to be that is the sole discretion of the cache owner.

It is at the sole discretion of the owner but a lot of cachers get bent out of shape about it. Which seems bizarre since it is so easy to just ignore the cache if you don't like PM only caches.

Interesting topic. Why would any one care if a cache was PM only or not? Seems to be that is the sole discretion of the cache owner.

It is at the sole discretion of the owner but a lot of cachers get bent out of shape about it. Which seems bizarre since it is so easy to just ignore the cache if you don't like PM only caches.

Has anyone, in all the years you've been doing this, ever once been able to ignore something they didn't like? :):):lol:

I think the issue may be the contradictions associated with PM caches.

It has been claimed that PM caches unsure the cache is taken care of respectfully because it weeds out the less trustworthy "newbies" from visiting a cache. This has not only been proven an incorrect assumption as pointed out in another thread but also implies that non premium members can not be trusted to treat a cache with the respect it deserves.

A PM cache may also be perceived as being placed to block non premium members from finding the cache for what ever other reason the cache placer has. This can create a perception of a two tiered system or pay to play environment. This can create the perception an exclusionary atmosphere in which some cachers believe they are better than others or believe that everyone should pay to geocache to support the the website.

Anytime you have an environment where one person can put themselves into a higher cast above others or group others into a lower cast you will have resentment on both sides.

Has anyone, in all the years you've been doing this, ever once been able to ignore something they didn't like? :):):lol:

This morning, I had to go all the way to the Gulf Coast to get my morning smile. Thx.

Has anyone, in all the years you've been doing this, ever once been able to ignore something they didn't like? :):):D

My daughter was on a cheerleading team (she's on a different one now) that practiced at a gymnastics place in a strip plaza. In said plaza's parking lot, there was a parking lot micro (guardrail I believe). I must have been there 200 times, often just sitting around in the vehicle killing time waiting. Never once looked for that micro. :lol:

Yup, don't like them, ignore them. But a lot of people just can't resist doing caches they don't like, and then of course they are going to complain about them.

A PM cache may also be perceived as being placed to block non premium members from finding the cache for what ever other reason the cache placer has. This can create a perception of a two tiered system or pay to play environment. This can create the perception an exclusionary atmosphere in which some cachers believe they are better than others or believe that everyone should pay to geocache to support the the website.

Anytime you have an environment where one person can put themselves into a higher cast above others or group others into a lower cast you will have resentment on both sides.

I so agree with Keith's statement I'm quoting here. Very well said.

This area just recently got an increase in the number of geocachers. Not too long ago there were only a couple of us and we'd go look for each other's caches. An FTF might take a week until one of us decided to make the effort finally to go look for it.

The first PM in this area was placed by someone passing through. It wasn't a PM when it was placed so I ,not being a premium cacher, was able to get the coordinates. Ack it was a lamppost cache! We'd never had one of those in this area either. I really felt strange standing in front of a fast food joint looking at the lamppost, knowing where the cache was and wondering if I could grab it with no one looking. Decided to skip it that time and try again when I felt more bold. By the time I decided to go back they had changed it to a PM and I could no longer log it, even though I knew where it was. (I now know how to log PMs as a nonmember) I still have to laugh because it hardly seemed like anything I would label "premium". The cache has since gone the way that most caches go when placed by people just passing through.

We finally have our second PM cache. It was placed by some local cachers doing their own "ducky" thing. I was disappointed I couldn't look for it, but hey, if I really wanted to be able to look for those I could always become a premium member. These cachers have also placed some nonmember caches too, but even so, as members they're entitled to place all the members only caches they want to. As for me and them , we're all friends here.

This area just recently got an increase in the number of geocachers. Not too long ago there were only a couple of us and we'd go look for each other's caches. An FTF might take a week until one of us decided to make the effort finally to go look for it.

The first PM in this area was placed by someone passing through. It wasn't a PM when it was placed so I ,not being a premium cacher, was able to get the coordinates. Ack it was a lamppost cache! We'd never had one of those in this area either. I really felt strange standing in front of a fast food joint looking at the lamppost, knowing where the cache was and wondering if I could grab it with no one looking. Decided to skip it that time and try again when I felt more bold. By the time I decided to go back they had changed it to a PM and I could no longer log it, even though I knew where it was. (I now know how to log PMs as a nonmember) I still have to laugh because it hardly seemed like anything I would label "premium". The cache has since gone the way that most caches go when placed by people just passing through.

We finally have our second PM cache. It was placed by some local cachers doing their own "ducky" thing. I was disappointed I couldn't look for it, but hey, if I really wanted to be able to look for those I could always become a premium member. These cachers have also placed some nonmember caches too, but even so, as members they're entitled to place all the members only caches they want to. As for me and them , we're all friends here.

OMG!! The first LPC and MOC in your area was an LPC placed by an out-of-towner passing through. That is so wrong!! :)

I'm in New York State too. I regularly surf the listings of the newest caches in our Empire State, and the last 6 months or so I've noticed tons of new caches in other sections of the State are Members Only. I'd say 20% some weeks. I never track them though, maybe it's one of those deals where people just make them MOC's when they're new, and they remove the restriction later. I have not noticed this in Pa. or Ontario, where I also surf the new listings.

I'm in New York State too. I regularly surf the listings of the newest caches in our Empire State, and the last 6 months or so I've noticed tons of new caches in other sections of the State are Members Only. I'd say 20% some weeks. I never track them though, maybe it's one of those deals where people just make them MOC's when they're new, and they remove the restriction later. I have not noticed this in Pa. or Ontario, where I also surf the new listings.

If by "other sections of the State" you mean the area around Rome, NY, then this thread might shed some light on why many of the caches are members only:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=243234

If by "other sections of the State" you mean the area around Rome, NY, then this thread might shed some light on why many of the caches are members only:

Naw, it's all over. Mostly Long Island, Syracuse, and Albany areas. I don't think Mr. Repak is going to be stealing any more caches. :)

Naw, it's all over. Mostly Long Island, Syracuse, and Albany areas. I don't think Mr. Repak is going to be stealing any more caches. :)

It's your cache. Period. You decide if it's PM or not. Yes, it's uncomfortable that someone gives you grief. Look at it this way, this person is so down on life that they harass you about how you set up a cache. Really? That's their gripe in life? They don't know how good they have it.

Ignore the poor fool and move on.

Some creep was "fouling" caches in the Albany area not long ago. I noticed an increase in PM caches in this area after that.

(sheesh, I'm having troubles with this simple post!)

Edited by Printess Caroline

Naw, it's all over. Mostly Long Island, Syracuse, and Albany areas. I don't think Mr. Repak is going to be stealing any more caches. :D

Some creep was "fouling" caches in the Albany area not long ago. I noticed an increase in PM caches in this area after that.

(sheesh, I'm having troubles with this simple post!)

Now that you mention it, I'd say most are Albany area. I wonder what they all think of me looking at their MOC's just a few minutes ago to see where they were. :) What's up with this Turf War nonsense, I don't get it.

Now that you mention it, I'd say most are Albany area. I wonder what they all think of me looking at their MOC's just a few minutes ago to see where they were. :) What's up with this Turf War nonsense, I don't get it.

I see a hot spot of of MOC's when I look at Ontario. I haven't heard of any muggle problems around here, so I winder what gives?

Having taken part in another discussion here I have realised there is quite a split in views about MOCs both with PMs and BMs.

As a BM I have no problem with them and can understand why the slightly added security would be important or wanting to give a FTF prize to a PM.

I treat them just as a different type of puzzle cache and search for them anyway. What I dont quite understand is why the CO would then delete the logs of a BM and this seems to give an even bigger split in views.

This happened on the last 2 I found, but either way I enjoyed the hunt and met a fellow PM geocacher at one of them :-)

Edited by stanolli

From the point of view of a "Basic" member, I do not understand why one would post a cache for "Premium" members only. Is it some sort of elitist club that I am left out of because I haven't paid $30 dollars to join, or are premium members just better cachers than bacic members? I'm sorry but I just don't get it.

I think the theory is that if someone is willing to pay to be a member they might have more respect for the sport and not have problems with trashing the cache or something but there is always exceptions that blow theories out of the water.