Harassed Because I Published a Premium Members Only Cache

I published a Premium Members only(mystery cache) recently and received a nice note on the cache page about it. Then later on, I received an e-mail from same cacher saying that they didn't realize it was a PM cache and that they don't do those caches. I decide to just ignore it and then get another e-mail the next day stating the same thing and asking what would be my count if I only did PM caches. So I just finally e-mail back saying, "Thanks for your feedback".

Thinking that is the end of it, I receive another e-mail stating, "You are welcome. You would have ONE cache found., and it is archived".

What the heck? Did it take them so long to reply back because they were auditing all the caches I have ever done to see which ones were PM only?

I don't even look to see which ones are PM only. PM cache or not, I do every cache I can get my hands on, LOL!

And why are PM only caches wrong? If they are, why are they even an option?

Strange indeed.

From what I read (dunno if I am missing something else)...

Is the email suggesting that "your" cache has been archived?

If it can be interpreted that way, maybe you should go out and check to see that it is still there. Perhaps that email was intended as a "hint" it may be gone (as in they took it). That may have been the reason for the day's pause between emails. (sorry, 'tis the way I think) ;):)

Strange indeed.

From what I read (dunno if I am missing something else)...

Is the email suggesting that "your" cache has been archived?

If it can be interpreted that way, maybe you should go out and check to see that it is still there. Perhaps that email was intended as a "hint" it may be gone (as in they took it). That may have been the reason for the day's pause between emails. (sorry, 'tis the way I think) ;) :huh

My cache is still there. They are stating that the only PM cache I have found has been archived(which is relevant how?). Funny how they have visited the cache page 9 times though, heh.

On the other hand, I have been getting quite a few positive e-mails about the cache and even a few who had to run to the local video store, rented it and loved it, lol.

You could reply again, "thanks, I hadn't realized how few PM caches there are! I've made all of mine PM now. Appreciate the heads up!" ;-)

What is going on around here lately with all these whiners emailing people, and creating Geo-drama? I think Isonzo Karst's idea is pretty funny. I'd go for it. You can just do it for a day or two, and turn off the Members only status.

That being said, people who don't like MOC's have been around since their inception, which was 2002, I believe. Most of them just never send taunting emails to owners of them. I myself never cared for them (I did place one once to keep traffic down in a sensitive area). And I go way out of my way not to look at them, as I feel the audit log is an invasion of web surfing privacy. I can get the coordinates without ever viewing the cache page via a pocket query, or recieve them via a text message. I could even log a find on one without visiting the cache page using the well known open door for non-premium members to log them. Don't tell any of that to the whiner though. ;)

There are a lot of haters in the world and even in our little game. Leave it alone, and if they continue to send emails to you, kindly ask them to stop and should it become harrassing then report it to Groundspeak.

BTW, most of my caches are PM only as the open to everyone caches are subject to cache maggots moreso and I would like to keep my caches going...

Ask them nicely, unless they have a specific issue with the cache or would like help with the puzzle, to please stop sending you these emails. If, after being asked to stop, they send you another email then forward them to Groundspeak (contact@geocaching.com) and report the harassment.

I think that, given the number of and tone of the emails received so far, that I might go so far as to cc contact@geocaching.com on the email that you are suggesting. This carp needs to stop now!

Just ignore them.

All of my 50+ caches are PM only. I am on the other side of Toronto from you. There are lots of caches in the area that are member only.

Some people just like to agitate. If they persist, you can always report them to Groundspeak.

You might want to consider placing their caches on your Ignore List. They sound like the type that will find any excuse to delete your logs. Best just to completely ignore them and go back to placing fun and challenging caches.

I published a Premium Members only(mystery cache) recently and received a nice note on the cache page about it. Then later on, I received an e-mail from same cacher saying that they didn't realize it was a PM cache and that they don't do those caches.

I don't mind the existence of PMO caches, but I'm left wondering if THEY are a PM themselves?

Anytime I look at links to PMO caches I'm not able to even see the listing ( I'm not PM of course).

But to be able to leave a note as well as see it? How did they NOT know it was a PMO?

Do whatever you feel is needed, THEY have the problem, don't they.

Doug

I published a Premium Members only(mystery cache) recently and received a nice note on the cache page about it. Then later on, I received an e-mail from same cacher saying that they didn't realize it was a PM cache and that they don't do those caches.

I don't mind the existence of PMO caches, but I'm left wondering if THEY are a PM themselves?

Anytime I look at links to PMO caches I'm not able to even see the listing ( I'm not PM of course).

But to be able to leave a note as well as see it? How did they NOT know it was a PMO?

Do whatever you feel is needed, THEY have the problem, don't they.

Doug

My guess is they are just trying to bait the OP into a argument.

I would just ignore them. They will get bored and move on to another issue.

I don't know what it's like in other places, but here in Los Angeles, we have so many caches that I don't need to concern myself with MOCs. I figure when I find all of the hundreds of regular caches in a 20-30 mile radius from my house, I might begin to think about Premium caches.

People will find anything to get upset about. Clearly, if he posted a log, he's a premium member. So is he paying thirty dollars a year just to complain about MOCs?

its been said before that you cant please all of em everytime
Joke 'em if they can't take a..... well, you know. I think we hide caches for everyone else's enjoyment but we also get enjoyment from the logs. What we don't get enjoyment from is hearing about caches not closed or rehidden correctly, TB's missing, geocoins stolen, etc. If making them MOC's slows that trend then do 'em all.

GC would do good to charge people an extra $25 so they can SEE the inventory :P

They're an option because Groundspeak made it possiable. If you use it or not, it up to you.

Lots of reasons PM could be disliked. Based on your 'quotes' I would guess the person feels MOCs limit available caches.

So, a premium member is complaining about PMOC's? :laughing:

I can make no sense out of the question about how many caches you'd have if you only searched PMOC's. That'd be like someone complaining about one of my puzzles and asking "How many caches would you have found if you only looked for puzzle caches?" Well, except for the fact that the answer would be easier to find. . . :P

If you really feel you are being harassed, you should report the cacher to Groundspeak.

I published a Premium Members only(mystery cache) recently and received a nice note on the cache page about it.

I use PM caches on my hard puzzles and all of my Wherigo caches. I always say, "membership has its benefits". If you want to do one of those caches pay the $30. Plus, I really like to know who and how often they have looked at the cache page.

A year ago I got the nastiest found log that I have ever received.... everything about the cache was terrible and even an accucation or two. I looked at the audit log (first time in over a year now) earlier today before reading this thread and saw that they have been looking at it quite a number of times.... Makes you wonder though.

PM caches are not wrong. It can be hard not to let it bother you - but let it go.

You could reply again, "thanks, I hadn't realized how few PM caches there are! I've made all of mine PM now. Appreciate the heads up!" ;-)

What is going on around here lately with all these whiners emailing people, and creating Geo-drama? I think Isonzo Karst's idea is pretty funny. I'd go for it. You can just do it for a day or two, and turn off the Members only status.

That being said, people who don't like MOC's have been around since their inception, which was 2002, I believe. Most of them just never send taunting emails to owners of them. I myself never cared for them (I did place one once to keep traffic down in a sensitive area). And I go way out of my way not to look at them, as I feel the audit log is an invasion of web surfing privacy. I can get the coordinates without ever viewing the cache page via a pocket query, or recieve them via a text message. I could even log a find on one without visiting the cache page using the well known open door for non-premium members to log them. Don't tell any of that to the whiner though. :P

Just curious, why would an audit log be an invasion of your privacy? The same is true for any website, they all have a stat page that records who (by ip address) and where and how many times it is visited. It is often privy to the owner and can be used to help improve the functionality of the page. I think it is neat to get that kind of feedback, especially from your local area cachers.

That being said, people who don't like MOC's have been around since their inception, which was 2002, I believe. Most of them just never send taunting emails to owners of them. I myself never cared for them (I did place one once to keep traffic down in a sensitive area). And I go way out of my way not to look at them, as I feel the audit log is an invasion of web surfing privacy. I can get the coordinates without ever viewing the cache page via a pocket query, or recieve them via a text message. I could even log a find on one without visiting the cache page using the well known open door for non-premium members to log them. Don't tell any of that to the whiner though. :P

"web surfing privacy".... oh my, now that's funny.

Interesting that they would grouse about logging a MOC but not ask you to delete their find on it!!!! <grin>

Or delete it themselves.

Just leave it alone. The person who sent you the email obviously has some sort of issue but that doesn't mean you need to indulge in the drama they are trying to start. Ignore 'em and they'll go away.

That being said, people who don't like MOC's have been around since their inception, which was 2002, I believe. Most of them just never send taunting emails to owners of them. I myself never cared for them (I did place one once to keep traffic down in a sensitive area). And I go way out of my way not to look at them, as I feel the audit log is an invasion of web surfing privacy. I can get the coordinates without ever viewing the cache page via a pocket query, or recieve them via a text message. I could even log a find on one without visiting the cache page using the well known open door for non-premium members to log them. Don't tell any of that to the whiner though. :laughing:

"web surfing privacy".... oh my, now that's funny.

Well, I'm not here to amuse you. :P But I did indeed click on an MOC in California while surfing geocaching.com Google Maps once, (and had no idea it was an MOC) and had some nosey chick email me and ask me why I looked at her cache page. Of course all after she investigated my profile to see where I was from. None of her dadgum business, thank you very much. People who say they like the audit log so they can see who looked at their cache are just nosey. :laughing:

The audit log is way too "Big Brother is watching you" for my tastes. Many people have expressed such an opinion in these forums over the years (and much more so in the older days, when MOC's seemed to be much more controversial). But I'll be more than happy to stand alone with that opinion in this thread.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Well, I'm not here to amuse you. :P But I did indeed click on an MOC in California while surfing geocaching.com Google Maps once, (and had no idea it was an MOC) and had some nosey chick email me and ask me why I looked at her cache page. Of course all after she investigated my profile to see where I was from. None of her dadgum business, thank you very much. People who say they like the audit log so they can see who looked at their cache are just nosey. :laughing:

The audit log is way too "Big Brother is watching you" for my tastes. Many people have expressed such an opinion in these forums over the years (and much more so in the older days, when MOC's seemed to be much more controversial). But I'll be more than happy to stand alone with that opinion in this thread.

I don't have a problem with COs seeing that I visited their page but that lady emailing was over the top. I just adopted one MOC and found it interesting to see who has looked at it compared to who has logged it. But I would never email them asking why.

Up till just now, I didn't realize that MOCs gave you an audit log. I couldn't care less, really.

The reason that about half of my hides are MOCs is probably the same reason that Groundspeak keeps them around: it offers incentive for geocachers to become Premium Members and support the site. I didn't become a Premium Member until my Dad did, and I saw just how freakin' many caches I was missing out on!

Incentive. It works.

Up till just now, I didn't realize that MOCs gave you an audit log. I couldn't care less, really.

The reason that about half of my hides are MOCs is probably the same reason that Groundspeak keeps them around: it offers incentive for geocachers to become Premium Members and support the site. I didn't become a Premium Member until my Dad did, and I saw just how freakin' many caches I was missing out on!

Incentive. It works.

I really don't think that's why they keep them around, but I'm sure it's a side effect that they have no problem with. :) The oft-stated reason for them is to combat cache theft. A premium member is less likely to go around stealing caches. And the audit log is there so you can see which premium members viewed the page (along with how many times, and date and time of last visit).

Oh, I always kill these threads when I post my rant about getting emailed about why I looked at someone's cache page. Here's something to think about: The Groundspeak knowledge base article on "who is watching my cache". They can't reveal that for "privacy reasons". So I don't think I'm so crazy after all for thinking the audit log is an invasion of privacy. ;)

Incentive. It works.

I really don't think that's why they keep them around, but I'm sure it's a side effect that they have no problem with. :) The oft-stated reason for them is to combat cache theft. A premium member is less likely to go around stealing caches. And the audit log is there so you can see which premium members viewed the page (along with how many times, and date and time of last visit).

Oh, I always kill these threads when I post my rant about getting emailed about why I looked at someone's cache page. Here's something to think about: The Groundspeak knowledge base article on "who is watching my cache". They can't reveal that for "privacy reasons". So I don't think I'm so crazy after all for thinking the audit log is an invasion of privacy. ;)

I am not convinced that MOC's are an effective way of preventing theft. Although I was able to prove a specific cacher vandalized one of my MOC caches. But that was because he was too stupid to cover his own tracks. ;) The audit log was just icing on the cake.

As pointed out elsewhere, there are lots of ways for non-PM's to get the details of MOC's.

Edited by Tequila

Incentive. It works.

I am not convinced that MOC's are an effective way of preventing theft. Although I was able to prove a specific cacher vandalized one of my MOC caches. But that was because he was too stupid to cover his own tracks. ;) The audit log was just icing on the cake.

As pointed out elsewhere, there are lots of ways for non-PM's to get the details of MOC's.

I actually know a way people who don't even have a Geocaching.com account, period, can get MOC coordinates (text message).

Edit: Don't worry Tequilla (and the OP). Works for U.S. residents only.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Well, I'm not here to amuse you. ;) But I did indeed click on an MOC in California while surfing geocaching.com Google Maps once, (and had no idea it was an MOC) and had some nosey chick email me and ask me why I looked at her cache page. Of course all after she investigated my profile to see where I was from. None of her dadgum business, thank you very much. People who say they like the audit log so they can see who looked at their cache are just nosey. :)

Would you send me that GC code so I can go see that cache. Better yet, can you post that code so that we can all pay it a visit. I would love for her to see a bunch of random cacher names from everywhere. Bet she would waste a lot of time in follow up emails!

Edited by Flintstone5611
But I did indeed click on an MOC in California while surfing geocaching.com Google Maps once, (and had no idea it was an MOC) and had some nosey chick email me and ask me why I looked at her cache page. Of course all after she investigated my profile to see where I was from. None of her dadgum business, thank you very much.

Paranoid much?

I've heard of people getting upset about these questions too, and I never understood why. It's obvious to me that she was looking at her audit log and saw a name she didn't recognize as local, so she looked at your profile to see who you were out of curiosity. After she realized you were from very far away she probably thought, "Neat, my cache page is getting noticed somehow!"

Perhaps she wondered if you saw her cache mentioned online somewhere, or if you'd been told about it by a friend, or maybe you just clicked on accident. And so she decided to just ask you and find out what neat story there might be. That can't hurt, right?

And instead of talking to her about it you think it's none of her dadgum business and assume she's nosey. Very nice.

There is not a rational explanation for alot of things. Who know why this person has something against member only caches. I don't particularly care for them because you have to pay a fee to go find them and that is the ONLY qualification but if I had a membership i would go for them. The majority of caches are not member only so why are they crying about it? I have no rational explanation. Perhaps they are just nuts?

I haven't received any more e-mails so I guess they are realizing their silly-ness....and I guess they don't read these forums...otherwise I'd probably see the fit hit the shan, lol!

Actually I suspect they have read this forum and realize how dumb they were.

I haven't received any more e-mails so I guess they are realizing their silly-ness....and I guess they don't read these forums...otherwise I'd probably see the fit hit the shan, lol!

Actually I suspect they have read this forum and realize how dumb they were.

LOL....or that!