Hilarious SOUR GRAPES email

pilkro

Okay, made me look. :P I was stumped until I read the hint. Agreed, the hint is quite well done and makes it elemental. Solved it in two minutes after that. Now I have an itch to make a similar puzzle; we don't have one done quite that way here.

Ok, now I will need to have a look at it. :laughing:

I got this email from an "established" cacher in my area who had a hard time with a puzzle cache I placed.

Here's the sour grapes he posted to me after he couldn't solve it with a hint:

screw it. Enjoy a cache that only got solved because of the ftf hunters. putting your underwhelming 2 caches on my "can't tolerate arrogance" list.

He of course has thousands of finds, so I guess I should know better in my arrogance to place a puzzle he couldn't figure out. :P Such a great feeling to have the established members of a community throw out the welcome mat for the new guy.

Hopefully he's just having a bad day.

I got it right away! My mom has a cache that uses the same puzzle. Hers has had 66 finds in almost six years - not as many as the the regular caches hidden in the same area, but still a decent enough number to show that ftf hunters aren`t the only ones who will find a puzzle cache!
Why do I always hear Lawrence Welk music when I'm reading your posts, anyway?

welk.jpg

I got this email from an "established" cacher in my area who had a hard time with a puzzle cache I placed.

screw it. Enjoy a cache that only got solved because of the ftf hunters. putting your underwhelming 2 caches on my "can't tolerate arrogance" list.

He of course has thousands of finds, so I guess I should know better in my arrogance to place a puzzle he couldn't figure out. :P Such a great feeling to have the established members of a community throw out the welcome mat for the new guy.

You're kidding me. Your quotes make it so obvious with a little bit of thought, and I'm an art student. Awesome puzzle! How embarrassing for this person to be a jerk over something so basic. ; )

Edited by Jackalgirl

As for the hint - it is cleverly designed and quickly pointed me to what I needed to solve this puzzle. From my point of view, the difficulty of this puzzle is properly rated and was a fun one to solve. Too bad the OP received those negative comments.

Hint has been changed since this thread started. Original hint was a lot more subtle.

fizzymagic- “You used Geochecker? Why? Were you not sure of your answer?”

Yes, I was positive of my answer (it’s basically self-checking) but using GeoChecker is a way to check if the CO made a mistake when he set that up-it has happened before. Thanks for your concern though. :P

fizzymagic- “I am certain there are many more correct solutions out there than counted by Geochecker.”
To be precise, you assume there are more correct solutions, you do not absolutely know that without actual facts, which I assume you lack. :laughing:

He of course has thousands of finds, so I guess I should know better in my arrogance to place a puzzle he couldn't figure out. ;) Such a great feeling to have the established members of a community throw out the welcome mat for the new guy.

You're kidding me. Your quotes make it so obvious with a little bit of thought, and I'm an art student. Awesome puzzle! How embarrassing for this person to be a jerk over something so basic. ; )

Wow, I am at a loss. I was going to say that the complainer was probably an art student. Then you go and totally steal my thunder. Well maybe the original problem starter is an athlete, with poor vision and a lack of fundamental reading skills then. Since I can't think of anything worse than an art student, LOL!!

I had a similar experience.

A new cacher posted a "should be archieved" because my cache was not available 24/7 even though the hours were clearly stated on the cache page.

Holy cats, did you tell them how many parks have closing hours? They better get busy reporting those as well. ;)

Okay, made me look. ;) I was stumped until I read the hint. Agreed, the hint is quite well done and makes it elemental. Solved it in two minutes after that. Now I have an itch to make a similar puzzle; we don't have one done quite that way here.

Ok, now I will need to have a look at it. :)

There used to be one similar in the Kent Valley.

Okay, made me look. ;) I was stumped until I read the hint. Agreed, the hint is quite well done and makes it elemental. Solved it in two minutes after that. Now I have an itch to make a similar puzzle; we don't have one done quite that way here.

Ok, now I will need to have a look at it. :)

There used to be one similar in the Kent Valley.

But then I would have needed to go to Kent. :);)

Had time to try it myself, this evening... Thanks for a fun puzzle...

To bad it`s way over there... I like the original hint though...

Not much difference actually.

I did make a false start though, and in doing so, might have found a different way to make a puzzle,

so it was doubly interesting for me. It did take a bit longer though since I delayed backing away from that line of thought.

Doug

well done! i havent done any puzzle caches but this one clicked. now for the milage. Yeah just wait til a few poeple find it and start singing praises about your new hide. i do think that the people from the forums should remove their "notes" as this hide gains momentum. no need to spoil it for the locals. also after you have hid a few people start to associate a known MO for how you think about hides so that smoothes out some of the bumps.

Could I make one suggestion? Please don't put anything in the hint field unless you are providing a hint. It's a bit frustrating to be in the field, decipher the hint only to read that no hint is provided. Just put it on the cache page and leave the hint blank. (unless of course it really is the hint)

it is :anicute:

OH!!!!

Should I go out of my way to get it today, or wait until I have to circumvent the construction on Telegraph next week anyway?

Edited by Dinoprophet