Hilarious SOUR GRAPES email

pilkro

I got this email from an "established" cacher in my area who had a hard time with a puzzle cache I placed.

Here's the sour grapes he posted to me after he couldn't solve it with a hint:

screw it. Enjoy a cache that only got solved because of the ftf hunters. putting your underwhelming 2 caches on my "can't tolerate arrogance" list.

He of course has thousands of finds, so I guess I should know better in my arrogance to place a puzzle he couldn't figure out. :( Such a great feeling to have the established members of a community throw out the welcome mat for the new guy.

I got this email from an "established" cacher in my area who had a hard time with a puzzle cache I placed.

screw it. Enjoy a cache that only got solved because of the ftf hunters. putting your underwhelming 2 caches on my "can't tolerate arrogance" list.

He of course has thousands of finds, so I guess I should know better in my arrogance to place a puzzle he couldn't figure out. ;) Such a great feeling to have the established members of a community throw out the welcome mat for the new guy.

Well, it looks like a challenging puzzle. Rather infantile of the "established" cacher to leave a message like he did, though.

Can you tell me if you left a dollar and a half for the FTF?

Would it be rude of me to point out that you're the one making "class distinctions"? and trying to create an added agenda re established and new, where there's really no connection?

Why use "established cacher" and mention find count? why can't it just be sour grapes thing?

Yeah, it's an unfortunate note, but it has nothing to do with how "established" either party is.

If you had 10,000 finds, your puzzle would still annoy this guy. If he had 50 finds, he'd probably still be the person who thinks he's entitled to have it his way, easy.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I got this email from an "established" cacher ...

I'll bet this established cacher has been carping on more people than just you. The guy needs to sit back and enjoy the hunt more than the find.

Could I make one suggestion? Please don't put anything in the hint field unless you are providing a hint. It's a bit frustrating to be in the field, decipher the hint only to read that no hint is provided. Just put it on the cache page and leave the hint blank. (unless of course it really is the hint)

Thanks and welcome to the addiction!

Edited by BlueDeuce
Would it be rude of me to point out that you're the one making "class distinctions"? and trying to create an added agenda re established and new, where there's really no connection?

Nah... I think that he was simply pointing out that this was a cacher that should have known better, not just someone new to the game that doesn't realize that not every cache out there is findable by him/her. I think its a valid distinction to make.

To the O.P., unfortunately, you just learned something about this cacher's personality. Take that knowledge, tuck it away, and let it go.

Nah... I think that he was simply pointing out that this was a cacher that should have known better, not just someone new to the game that doesn't realize that not every cache out there is findable by him/her. I think its a valid distinction to make.

To the O.P., unfortunately, you just learned something about this cacher's personality. Take that knowledge, tuck it away, and let it go.

Agreed. Knowschad obviously knows more than just Chad. ;)

I don't think the OP used the "established cacher" description with any more intention of insulting the person with that label than the many posters on here who love to point out "noob" status. Seems like a double standard??

I think he was just trying to point out the person was "experienced" and maybe mistakenly assumed that being so, he should be able to solve his puzzle. Having a high find count doesn't necessarily make you "bright". ;)

Could I make one suggestion? Please don't put anything in the hint field unless you are providing a hint. It's a bit frustrating to be in the field, decipher the hint only to read that no hint is provided. Just put it on the cache page and leave the hint blank. (unless of course it really is the hint)

it is ;)

bugs me when somebody finds the need to log a note in the cache listing page

that is totally negative and not a behind the scenes message to CO

for all my hides I have always been helpful and sometimes will even meet

anyone at GZ if they get frustrated

no biggie, we all have off days

we all started this sport for the adventure, just wish eveyone would remember

that we are ALL in this together

bugs me when somebody finds the need to log a note in the cache listing page

that is totally negative and not a behind the scenes message to CO

for all my hides I have always been helpful and sometimes will even meet

anyone at GZ if they get frustrated

no biggie, we all have off days

we all started this sport for the adventure, just wish eveyone would remember

that we are ALL in this together

It wasn't a note on the page, it was a private email.

The cacher and I have exchanged a couple emails now and we've settled the issues and apologies were issued.

All is good! ;)

Yeah, I left a buck fifty to the FTF. The spelling is merely a red herring.

Ahhhhh.... so THAT's what the reference to "Abuk Fidy" in the logs meant! ;)

Yeah, I thought I was onto something when I got that. Sadly, urban slang dictionaries couldn't find the "Titular characters".

Actually, this is a very well done puzzle. That's all I can say. :)

Agree with mountainman 38. A nicely done little puzzle, shouldn't give anyone too much trouble. I wouldn't change a thing -

I agree on not changing anything, but I dunno about the not giving anyone any trouble. This puzzle is not an obvious one (or maybe I just miss the obvious).

The clues are there, if you don't just accept things at face value.

"Titular characters".

Oooh! much better than "titular people!" I've changed the listing to your much better suggestion! (intentional or unintentional)

I've also extended the hint slightly to include my email reply to requests for more hints.

Thanks for all the interest and feedback!

it is ;)

Ahhhhhhh!! Aha! That was sure a weighty comment.

Ditto. Kill the useless hint.

I just added one more + to the correct answers. This puzzle in not that hard. :P Now if I was just anywhere near it! :(

Ditto. Kill the useless hint.

I am not a puzzler normally, but this took me all of 5 minutes. I agree, if the hint is useless, get rid of it :P

:P:laughing::laughing: Thats just wrong!!!

Edited by NeecesandNephews

I am not a puzzler normally, but this took me all of 5 minutes. I agree, if the hint is useless, get rid of it :laughing:

Absolutely. If the hint was useless, he should get rid of it.

It appears the rest of you all's are better tuned into these things than I am. I had to ask the CO for a nudge.....

Where's bittsen? Maybe it's time to join her camp. :P

I don't know what the cache page looked like before I showed up to the party, but I thought it was a cute puzzle and well clued on the page.

It was much, MUCH harder, I assure you! That's why I didn't get it instantly...

Actually, the current hint is what the CO emailed me and I was then able to solve the puzzle. :P

I don't know what the cache page looked like before I showed up to the party, but I thought it was a cute puzzle and well clued on the page.

It was much, MUCH harder, I assure you! That's why I didn't get it instantly...

Actually, the current hint is what the CO emailed me and I was then able to solve the puzzle. rolleyes.gif

The cache page has been changed?

Edited by knowschad

I think that the puzzle without hints is rated a little low; with the hints it seems about right.

But everybody has blind spots; there have been simple puzzles I could not solve for months because my brain just wouldn't go there, while there are puzzles I have solved in a few minutes that took everybody else a long time.

The email you received was inexcusable, but publicizing it was not very classy.

So, someone who has thousands of finds "knows better?" Heh, my limited experience in geocaching certainly does not lead me to that same conclusion. I've been lead wrong by more cachers with thousands of finds (both in what they say and in their actions in the field) than by new cachers. :laughing:

I'd have to agree with karst on this fact being irrelevant. :P

Back to the OP - you said it yourself in the title. "Hilarious." Probably should leave it as hilarious and a laughing matter and let it go, eh?

Back to the OP - you said it yourself in the title. "Hilarious." Probably should leave it as hilarious and a laughing matter and let it go, eh?

I'm failing to see how your post is either relevant or even holding true to your own message.

You're basically wasting forum space to tell me not to waste forum space? Is that the gist of what you're getting at? That I shouldn't post what I found to be funny... but to allow you to correct me on what's postworthy?

Troll.

If you would've read before reacting, you would have seen that the issue has been resolved. But thanks for your half-informed opinion on the closed matter.

Ahhhhh.... so THAT's what the reference to "Abuk Fidy" in the logs meant! :P

Yeah, I thought I was onto something when I got that. Sadly, urban slang dictionaries couldn't find the "Titular characters".

Actually, this is a very well done puzzle. That's all I can say. :laughing:

I only looked at it briefly and may take another look later. I enjoy puzzle caches, and although some people may frown on the practice, enjoy working on puzzles with other geocachers. I don't really understand why, as group finds by large teams or just a bunch of cachers that got together for a day doesn't seem to bat an eye here. I don't see how working on a puzzle cache with someone else, bouncing ideas off each other, until a solution is achieved is any different.

This morning I was working on a puzzle for a cache located in Paris with another geocacher that I have never met (and lives about 750 miles from me). However, he's currently working in Bagdad and we worked a bit on a puzzle cache via google chat.

Ahhhhh.... so THAT's what the reference to "Abuk Fidy" in the logs meant! :P

How about these: UU

I like the puzzle --- recognize the challenge due to some similar ones I have published. The hint was nicely done as well.

as far as the original sour grapes --- some folks like vinegar with their whine, some of us prefer the wine itself. :P

He of course has thousands of finds, so I guess I should know better in my arrogance to place a puzzle he couldn't figure out. :P Such a great feeling to have the established members of a community throw out the welcome mat for the new guy.

Hopefully he will take another look at it and see the (so far) 5 new "solved it remotely" logs.

Great puzzle! I looked at it for about five minutes, to no avail. Then I looked at the hint, which instantly told me what to look for. Two more minutes and I had the solution. That was one of the best hints I've ever seen. Gives the needed nudge in a clever way.

Now if I wasn't 2,000 miles away...

Okay, made me look. :P I was stumped until I read the hint. Agreed, the hint is quite well done and makes it elemental. Solved it in two minutes after that. Now I have an itch to make a similar puzzle; we don't have one done quite that way here.

Took me five minutes after reading the hint. Of course I am watching a movie at the same time.

(that's my story and I am sticking to it!)