Favorite kind of cache

ad5smith

Ok i've been wondering this for a while, what is everyone's favorite TRADITIONAL cache to find size-wise and container wise.

Personally there are more micros in the areas i travel to, so micro it is, and (don't crucify me ;) ) i like magnetic key holders, and LPC's. since i'm single the only swag i really leave is a cactus guitar pick. once the GF becomes the wifey and the kids come along, maybe i'll have a greater interest in larger caches. (by the way, i haven't found an ammo can yet, but i'm looking forward to it)

i don't particularly care as long as like knowschad said, there is a signable log

we go caching almost every day after work to unwind and there is a time for every kind of hide, LPC's, magnetic keyholders, nanos, pretty much the urban hides we go for during the week, they are good for winter when the days are short

the long walks/bike rides on the trails are reserved for weekends when more time is available

as much as some people hate "powertrails", if they are done right they are extremely enjoyable

we just did one in the weekend, it had a variety of containers and difficulty/terrain, all in all we ended up walking 12KM on a beautiful trail and didn't even feel it ;)

I luv the custom ones

Fake nuts, bolts, birdhouses, birdfeeders, hollowed log, stake in the ground, spider in tree/bush, bugs(bee and dragonfly found so far), container on chain glued under fence post cap and etc....

Once your find them you just smile ear to ear at the creativity.

Ammo cans by far. Large Lock n Locks, or any large or medium cache actually. I don't have anything against micros, per se, except when they are placed where a much larger cache could have been placed. To me that signals a lack of imagination.

Most urban hides have to be small or micro, but I get annoyed when I hike into the wilderness just to find a micro hidden in a tree or rock outcropping, in an area that would easily accomodate a 5 gallon bucket! Come on people, that's the best that you could come up with?

In my area, there are a few cachers who's goal seems to be simply how many caches they can place. So they blanket the area with micros, and most of the locations could easily accomodate a small or medium cache, at least.

My kids used to really enjoy caching, in part because of the SWAG. Yes, most of it is cheap, or even junk, and the quality of SWAG deteriorates rapidly, but when you open a medium to large cache (or even a small), there's still always the chance that there is going to be something really neat inside. That possibility made caching that much more fun. But with the proliferation of log-only micros, that thrill seems to be disappearing. Now the only time they want to go caching with me is if we are going to hike off the beaten path. And then what do we find? More micros!

Edited by 4x4van
Ammo cans by far. Large Lock n Locks, or any large or medium cache actually. I don't have anything against micros, per se, except when they are placed where a much larger cache could have been placed. To me that signals a lack of imagination.

No it doesn't!! It only signals a lack of imagination when the cache lacks imagination. Size has NOTHING to do with it. An ammo can stuck in a hollow log or under a rock shows more imagination than, say, a fake mushroom? Let's get over this absurd stereotype. A good cache is size-irrelevant, as is a lame cache.

I luv the custom ones

Fake nuts, bolts, birdhouses, birdfeeders, hollowed log, stake in the ground, spider in tree/bush, bugs(bee and dragonfly found so far), container on chain glued under fence post cap and etc....

Once your find them you just smile ear to ear at the creativity.

Me too!

If it's not a creative container, then I guess I prefer the small to traditional size because I like to check out the swag before signing the log.

No it doesn't!! It only signals a lack of imagination when the cache lacks imagination. Size has NOTHING to do with it. An ammo can stuck in a hollow log or under a rock shows more imagination than, say, a fake mushroom? Let's get over this absurd stereotype. A good cache is size-irrelevant, as is a lame cache.

i agree, there is nothing creative about an ammocan or a barrel for that matter, thrown under a tree with the least attempt at making it a challenge to find

Point taken, but your quote of my post takes only the first part of what I said, without the context of the explanation that followed. Perhaps I should have said "lack of effort", instead. None of these micros are unique or ingenius containers, like a fake mushroom. They are simply tiny containers (altoids, pill bottle, etc.) placed where a larger cache could easily have been stashed with a just bit of thought. And as far as I'm concerned, there's very few reasons to hide a micro out in the woods, even if it is a unique or ingenious container. Use that talent to make a micro invisible to muggles in high-muggle areas, but out in the woods where there is plenty of room to hide a larger container, put in the effort to do so. Perhaps even an ingeniously disguised one. But a micro? Sorry, I don't buy it. That's just lazy.

Edited by 4x4van

Ammo cans are great for moving travel bugs and I like moving trackable items. Just unloaded a pile of them on Sunday and the trail had lots of big ammo boxes!

Not very fond of small caches in the wide open, though done a couple myself because they fit the hide method I had in mind.

Urban caches are challenging to do with any size so tend to be log-only caches. I'll do them, but prefer caches with some volume.

Since I hunt with my kids 5 Yo, 10 month old) I hunt for the larger "treasures". So far I have been unimpressed by the quality of the 6 caches I have found. Needed to detox the toys my kids picked and the logs are wet. I hope to run across more lock & Locks. My caches are a small lock & Lock and a medium aquacase keeping my caches dry.

But generally a ammo can under a log caching experience beats a film canister experience 98.7% of the time.

Addendum....I re-read and see you are arguing "lack of imagination". Perhaps so. An ammo can under a log is not particularly imaginative but it is a much better caching experience for most people. I would say micros generally (over 90% of the time) lack any investment.

Edited by Lone R

Ok i've been wondering this for a while, what is everyone's favorite TRADITIONAL cache to find size-wise and container wise.

Larger Caches usually are more expensive than film canister micros. They are more difficult to hide either. For this reasons the larger the better. Cos tend to put more thought and effort into larger geocaches than into the micros.

How much time, effort is it to hide a film canister at a walmart lamp post? - Compared to buying, painting and stuffing an ammo can?

GermanSailor

Personally there are more micros in the areas i travel to, so micro it is, and (don't crucify me :P ) i like magnetic key holders, and LPC's. since i'm single the only swag i really leave is a cactus guitar pick. once the GF becomes the wifey and the kids come along, maybe i'll have a greater interest in larger caches. (by the way, i haven't found an ammo can yet, but i'm looking forward to it)

I prefer small to large caches however, LOCATION of the cache is more important to me than the size of the cache.

Point taken, but your quote of my post takes only the first part of what I said, without the context of the explanation that followed. Perhaps I should have said "lack of effort", instead. None of these micros are unique or ingenius containers, like a fake mushroom. They are simply tiny containers (altoids, pill bottle, etc.) placed where a larger cache could easily have been stashed with a just bit of thought. And as far as I'm concerned, there's very few reasons to hide a micro out in the woods, even if it is a unique or ingenious container. Use that talent to make a micro invisible to muggles in high-muggle areas, but out in the woods where there is plenty of room to hide a larger container, put in the effort to do so. Perhaps even an ingeniously disguised one. But a micro? Sorry, I don't buy it. That's just lazy.

Fine... then please specify that you are referring to lame, unimaginative caches, not micros, because there is no connection whatsoever, in my experience. It just so happens that I do know of a fake mushroom cache in the woods, and it gets nothing but great reviews. Not one person has complained about the size, but they love the surprise they get from finding something different.

And, "just plain lazy"? Uh, I don't think so. It would have been much easier to hide an ammo box.

Edited by knowschad

But generally a ammo can under a log caching experience beats a film canister experience 98.7% of the time.

Addendum....I re-read and see you are arguing "lack of imagination". Perhaps so. An ammo can under a log is not particularly imaginative but it is a much better caching experience for most people. I would say micros generally (over 90% of the time) lack any investment.

I totally agree with anyone that rails against film cannisters. They are lousy containers. But don't rail against a cache because of its size... you just may be surprised by the micro, but you will seldom be surprised by the ammo can.

Larger Caches usually are more expensive than film canister micros. They are more difficult to hide either. For this reasons the larger the better. Cos tend to put more thought and effort into larger geocaches than into the micros.

How much time, effort is it to hide a film canister at a walmart lamp post? - Compared to buying, painting and stuffing an ammo can?

GermanSailor

A film canister is a micro, but a micro is not neccessarily a film canister. Lets keep this straight. I've hidden both, and I have at times spent a LOT more on the micro than on the ammo can. Lame is lame, great is great. Lets stick to the facts. If you haven't yet found a micro that made you say, "Wow!!", you will.

I'm not a fan of park-n-grabs. I've done a few -- usually when with a group -- but they just don't do it for me. The whole point of geocaching, to me, is to get out in nature for awhile. I've even seen good caches at small parks, but if I'm surrounded by pavement, I'm not a happy cacher.

My son would tell me to say "medium and bigger" because he's all about trading swag.

We both love creative hides -- something unusual, unexpected, and clever.

I don't much care about the size, so long as some amount of effort went into putting it out there. Most of my favorites are larger caches, a lot of them ammo cans, because those are the ones that are hardest to find a creative way to hide and keep from getting muggled. There are lots of good micros and smalls out there, but it takes less to keep those out of non-cachers hands simply because they can be hard to spot all on their own.

What I do NOT like is someone taking a small/micro container and chucking it into a bush. That is the very definition of a lack of imagination, and one of the reasons that I avoid bush hides unless there's something special to them.

I don't much care about the size, so long as some amount of effort went into putting it out there. Most of my favorites are larger caches, a lot of them ammo cans, because those are the ones that are hardest to find a creative way to hide and keep from getting muggled. There are lots of good micros and smalls out there, but it takes less to keep those out of non-cachers hands simply because they can be hard to spot all on their own.

What I do NOT like is someone taking a small/micro container and chucking it into a bush. That is the very definition of a lack of imagination, and one of the reasons that I avoid bush hides unless there's something special to them.

i totally agree

I like all 'kinds' of caches. That being said, some of my most fun caching days involved finding mostly film cans. Therefore, I guess that I have to give a nod to this container:

stock-photo-photography-film-canisters-and-digital-storage-card-on-white-background-14678974.jpg

Most urban hides have to be small or micro, but I get annoyed when I hike into the wilderness just to find a micro hidden in a tree or rock outcropping, in an area that would easily accomodate a 5 gallon bucket! Come on people, that's the best that you could come up with?

In my area, there are a few cachers who's goal seems to be simply how many caches they can place. So they blanket the area with micros, and most of the locations could easily accomodate a small or medium cache, at least.

My kids used to really enjoy caching, in part because of the SWAG. Yes, most of it is cheap, or even junk, and the quality of SWAG deteriorates rapidly, but when you open a medium to large cache (or even a small), there's still always the chance that there is going to be something really neat inside. That possibility made caching that much more fun. But with the proliferation of log-only micros, that thrill seems to be disappearing. Now the only time they want to go caching with me is if we are going to hike off the beaten path. And then what do we find? More micros!

Become a premium member and learn to use pocket queries. Edited by sbell111

I'm just getting started and am having a blast. When the kiddos are with me the larger stashes a more fun for them. I enjoy both when it's just me. I have found some that are just being placed for the sake of placing them, other have had some real thought to them.

I like larger caches that are dry inside but can appreciate a small on a night when I am finding mostly micros.

I like micros on a night when all I'm finding are ammo cans (like that has ever happened).

I like the first time I find something new. I LOVED the first lamp post hide that I found.

I like creative hides, not PIA or NIH hides.

There is no one specific type of hide I like because if it was repeated over and over, I would get tired of it but I do appreciate a hide in a place of interesting virtue. Sure, scenery is noce but I've seen millions of scenic vews. Any cache that takes me to someplace unique or "different" is a good cache.

Since I hunt with my kids 5 Yo, 10 month old) I hunt for the larger "treasures". So far I have been unimpressed by the quality of the 6 caches I have found. Needed to detox the toys my kids picked and the logs are wet. I hope to run across more lock & Locks. My caches are a small lock & Lock and a medium aquacase keeping my caches dry.

You should take your kids to Staten Island that's where all the big caches are (in NYC).

What's with the bumped thread?

Hmmm... I hadn't noticed it was bumped. I guess Scuba4jews kids are a little older now...(9Yo and 4Yo?). Likely still applies. My 6 and 8 year olds still always want to check out the swag and trade for something (always my swag, they never bring their own; maybe I should crack down on that).

What's with the bumped thread?

Pretty weird bump, but I've seen weirder. One cannot deny that Staten Island has a high percentage of big caches. Still a pathetically low number, but lots of smalls and regulars. :lol:

Put me down for ammo can, by the way. And still proudly claim "regular" as my most found cache size. (38.55%)

I once did a LPC in which the container was a can of those spring loaded snakes. Mrs Roc and I laughed our butts off. We even took others there to laugh at them!

Ive done a few GRC's with key holders that took me to wonderful covered bridges.

I've opened many 35mm film cans while standing at the base of a waterfall or at the top of a cliff with a scenic overlook.

The last Ammo can I opened was at Sgt Alvin York's house in Tenn. If ever an ammo can was called for, that was the place.

I've also found ammo cans in rotting stumps 50 feet off a trailhead with no reason to be there except to be a cache.

My point is I don't have a favorite container or size. First and foremost is the destination. Take me someplace worth visiting. If you cant do that give me a container that makes me smile because its funny or because you put some thought into it.

They probably used the search function and didn't look at the date. It happens.

Staying on topic, I don't really have a preference for containers. It depends on what I want to look for that day and how much time I have to look.