Cache containers on sale!

Saw the spun aluminum "pill containers" with rubber o-ring and key ring clips at Walgreen's. $1.99 ea!

I almost bought the whole display! Like these, but with a small clip and the split ring keyring. I've seen these at $4.00 - $8.00 each!

aluminum_pill_case_container_2__88915.jpg

I've used those exact ones. A word of caution, the O ring will deteriorate quickly when exposed the the elements. I see wet logs in the future.

These are great to put in ammo cans!
;) Who'd have guess that tired old comment would come so quickly?

That is a good deal, although I've found them for that price before. They seem to be a high markup item. I've actually seen websites that were selling them for several times more than your high price! I personally have never had any more problems with the O-rings on those than I have on bison tubes. In my opinion, they make a great micro container.

You can get the original bison tube from Bison Designs for $2.50 each. Get 40 of them and the shipping is free ;) Create your own power trail, and see a couple of threads dedicated to it right here.

$2 is not really that cheap, but I guess it depends on the size. I'll be passing by a Walgreens on the way home, I'll see if they have some there. Thanks for the info.

These are great to put in ammo cans!
;) Who'd have guess that tired old comment would come so quickly?

That is a good deal, although I've found them for that price before. They seem to be a high markup item. I've actually seen websites that were selling them for several times more than your high price! I personally have never had any more problems with the O-rings on those than I have on bison tubes. In my opinion, they make a great micro container.

Better than a film can, and almost as big.

I've used those exact ones. A word of caution, the O ring will deteriorate quickly when exposed the the elements. I see wet logs in the future.

I've used these as well though my experience differs. The o ring does deteriorate quickly, but my logs have all stayed dry. Maybe it depends a lot on how they are hidden?

Saw the spun aluminum "pill containers" with rubber o-ring and key ring clips at Walgreen's. $1.99 ea!

I almost bought the whole display! Like these, but with a small clip and the split ring keyring. I've seen these at $4.00 - $8.00 each!

If you soak the O ring in Glycerin for awhile it will last a lot longer.

Yes I used two of these for hides and both were leaking ina month's time. Had much better luck with match tubes, .99 each and allow larger scrolls. Just my personal experiences.

I agree. I have a few of these out. Easy to camo, and you don't need tweezers to get the log out.

Yes I used two of these for hides and both were leaking ina month's time. Had much better luck with match tubes, .99 each and allow larger scrolls. Just my personal experiences.

I agree. I have a few of these out. Easy to camo, and you don't need tweezers to get the log out.

Can I add an "Amen!" to that?

By my experience, match tubes are great, but soda bottle preforms are even tougher, and run about $0.60 each.

Can I add an "Amen!" to that?

By my experience, match tubes are great, but soda bottle preforms are even tougher, and run about $0.60 each.

All three (and add Bison tubes) are generally good containers, but each is a different size and shape. Depending on your hide and how you camo your containers, size and shape can matter considerably, or not at all. Many of my caches have required particular containers and would not have worked with other sizes. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm glad we have the variety that we do! Edited by knowschad
I've tried these containers. Had nothing but trouble. Both I used leaked. I know Chad's buddy doesn't like the tiered old joke but if you keep it in an ammo can(or LnL) the log will likely stay dry.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing::laughing::(:D:D:D:D:D:P:P:P:P:P

Good one, GOF!! B)

outside of being placed inside an ammo can, they are useless once the O-ring is dropped by a random cacher....all is wet inside.

I've had to pour water out of ammo cans. I think ammo cans are best hidden inside 40 ft steel containers raised 10 feet from the ground to keep them out of flood water. And the containers are best hidden inside a warehouse.

outside of being placed inside an ammo can, they are useless once the O-ring is dropped by a random cacher....all is wet inside.
Uh... isn't that true of Bison tubes and match containers as well?

For that matter, ammo cans are useless once they've been driven over by a bulldozer. :)

For that matter, ammo cans are useless once they've been driven over by a bulldozer. :)

Yes, any container can fail. These particular containers have a higher rate of failure than say a bison or preform. At least in my experience.

Yes, any container can fail. These particular containers have a higher rate of failure than say a bison or preform. At least in my experience.

Yeah, well, look at where you live... Buffalo. You've got huge, clumsy old bison charging hither and whither (is that a word?)... it is really amazing that even ammo cans can survive in that environment. Consider yourself lucky.

;) I went to my walgreens and they only had silver and it was 4.99. oh well. it's still a cool little nano to drive people crazy. :laughing:

;) I went to my walgreens and they only had silver and it was 4.99. oh well. it's still a cool little nano to drive people crazy. :laughing:

If there is a Harbor Freight store near you then you cn get them for @$2 each

These, in silver, are at my local Wal-Mart for $1.98 all the time. Match holders run $.98. I've had to replace and re-engineer the seal on the pill holders several times (finally settling on a squirt of silicone in the threads) but the match holders I've never had a problem with.

These, in silver, are at my local Wal-Mart for $1.98 all the time. Match holders run $.98. I've had to replace and re-engineer the seal on the pill holders several times (finally settling on a squirt of silicone in the threads) but the match holders I've never had a problem with.

Walmart prices here in Northern California is $2.12 and $1.00. Interesting to learn about the pricing difference in different areas of the country. I mentioned in another thread, but the old Ozark Trail match holders appear to be discontinued. The new Coleman ones comes filled with matches, same price, same color, softer plastic.

If you soak the O ring in Glycerin for awhile it will last a lot longer.

I didn't know that!! Thank you so much for posting that tip.

Hi... long time since...

You have to make sure that you wipe it down afterwards... too much will attract every bit of grit around.

Grit is the enemy of O rings... at small sizes even one grain of sand will seem like a boulder if it gets into the sealing areas... 'Wet' Orings will move around easily as well. Most of the time one wants to avoid really tightening them down... the ring can distort and/or extrude itself right out of the ring seats...

I usually just tighten to contact point and then no more than one sixteenth of a turn just to squish it a tiny bit.

More than that and you won't have a ring long and it may leak anyway. It's one of those things that go against most peoples logic... tighter is not always better. The ring material has a lot to do with things as well, they come in all sorts of compounds... I try to use hydraulic fluid rated types for resistance to the 'lubricant/preservative' in use. Nothing fancy, water types work fine to, just avoid the really flimsy short lived stuff (usually the ones that come with these things and others).

I keep a soft toothbrush handy for cleaning the seal surfaces as well.

Doug