Track Log Distance

ertyu

I keep my track log running non-stop on my gps, like most do. I was wondering if there was a tool that could calculate the total distance travelled within a track log gpx file? Following the track and connecting the points between tracks where the gps was off or not tracking. And extending that further, stitch together multiple dated files and even throwing some stats if possible.

Is anyone aware of a tool or a starting point for accomplishing this?

I suppose any number of packages would help you with that. You would need to supply some of the data needed to connect placres and times that the unit was off though. I can't imagine any software thats going to automatically fill in that dat witth a line from "last known" to "current".

What unit do you use?

What stats are you looking for?

I suppose any number of packages would help you with that. You would need to supply some of the data needed to connect placres and times that the unit was off though. I can't imagine any software thats going to automatically fill in that dat witth a line from "last known" to "current".

What unit do you use?

What stats are you looking for?

It should be fairly straightforward to connect points in a monotonic time manor I would think.

I'm looking for total distance primarily. Beyond that, breakdowns and groupings by time and date. Perhaps even a guesstimate if the distance was covered by foot (<10kph?) or vehicle.

GPSBabel can kinda do it. The tabsep format will output a PATH_DISTANCE_MILES and PATH_DISTANCE_KM field. The iblue747 format uses this, too. The KML writer will compute it and put it it the Placemark's description for the left panel. YOu can automate the stitching and breaking of your tracks, but it's not for the timid.

I keep my track log running non-stop on my gps, like most do. I was wondering if there was a tool that could calculate the total distance travelled within a track log gpx file? Following the track and connecting the points between tracks where the gps was off or not tracking. And extending that further, stitch together multiple dated files and even throwing some stats if possible.

Yes, G7toWin will do what you want. Drag one or more GPX files to the program. You will see a spreadsheet with track segments showing each track point. Columns show distance between track points, and total cumulative, for each segment and track.

Right click on the page, choose "Select all Tracks", then right click and choose: "Sort Tracks by time, and combine into one track."

You can then export into one of many formats. Choose GPX, because you will then want to open this file in the program: SportTracks This program will give you great statistics for your all of your activities over time.

Yes, G7toWin will do what you want. Drag one or more GPX files to the program. You will see a spreadsheet with track segments showing each track point. Columns show distance between track points, and total cumulative, for each segment and track.

Right click on the page, choose "Select all Tracks", then right click and choose: "Sort Tracks by time, and combine into one track."

You can then export into one of many formats. Choose GPX, because you will then want to open this file in the program: SportTracks This program will give you great statistics for your all of your activities over time.

That looks like a great suggestion, something to work with anyway. On the first try the output of one days worth of track from G7 is producing a track of ~500,000 miles when imported to Sporttrack and a really messy map full of tracks. Will have to play with it some.