Muggled out Button - show support to get it added here

Whoa Nellie!

Let's back the angst meter down a lot here. A reminder.

Here are some things to keep in mind when posting:

1. Forum courtesy: Please treat Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, fellow community members, and guests on these boards with courtesy and respect. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they should be treated fairly.

3. Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad. General attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

The name calling and spew is going to stop. Now. Holy smokes folks.

If you cannot get your point across in a civilized manner, then stay out of the discussion.

If it continues, expect to be expelled forcefully from the discussion.

bangouch.gif

You guys are missing the point. I don't think a "muggled out" button would work, but the reason that the OP suggested it was because not all DNFs are the same. Some DNFs mean that the cache is not there, others mean that someone just couldn't find it. A cache could get archived if it has a few DNFs on it. It could have a "needs maintenence" log, or it could ultimately get Archived. You look for a bit and muggles show up, you post a DNF, next a few other people do the same. The reviewer disables it, and eventually it gets archived because the CO could be away at college or temoparily locked up in Tijuana.. Whatever the case, the cache may actually be there and perfectly OK.

I'm not going to post a DNF if it may eventually cause an archival or a NM log, if my gut instinct feels that it really could be just well hidden.

Is there a big problem with reviewers disabling and archiving Caches that have DNFs on them?? I just don't see it happening. They don't monitor logs unless someone asks them to(in an email or a NM log) as far as I know, a Cache could have 100 DNF logs, and the reviewers wouldn't even know it. Where is anyone getting the idea that three DNF logs will get a Cache shut down??

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Ya, wait till you have a "Needs Maintenence" log posted from someone a few hundred miles away because of a few DNFs on a difficult hide. You gotta make a run out to the site to verify that it is there. To some people a DNF is only used if they feel that it is actually missing for that reason.

Beat the high horse! ;)

I think all you should have to do in that case is contact the reviewer and make note of the difficulty, and the fact that the person placing the note may not have even been to the site. NM log does not always mean that you have to drop everything and run to the Cache site. In fact, there's nothing stopping you from posting a Performed Maintenance log from the comfort of home

... your thinking goes counter to almost all others.

So what?

Anyway... no need to continue this specific discussion. The question of this thread was: "Should there be a ´Muggled Out Button` yes or no?

IMHO, a note, an NM or a DNF are sufficient - so:

My answer is: no.

... -.-

I want to apologize for my ranting. I work in a prison and I have to check myself periodically and leave the 'ttude at work. I don't respond well with pithy snide quips and rolling eye emoticons, but I'll try to.

I don't agree with anyone telling others how to think. However I'll take their responses as opinion and leave it at that.

Cache on. ;)

... your thinking goes counter to almost all others.

So what?

Anyway... no need to continue this specific discussion. The question of this thread was: "Should there be a ´Muggled Out Button` yes or no?

IMHO, a note, an NM or a DNF are sufficient - so:

My answer is: no.

... -.-

You didn't quote the first part of my sentence, where I said, "For what it's worth...". You apparently don't think that its worth very much, and that is your right. Certainly nothing I can do to change that, other than trying to educate you on what I perceive to be the norm, and that obviously fell upon deaf ears. You're gonna do what you're gonna do, so go do it. I tried.

You guys are missing the point. I don't think a "muggled out" button would work, but the reason that the OP suggested it was because not all DNFs are the same. Some DNFs mean that the cache is not there, others mean that someone just couldn't find it. A cache could get archived if it has a few DNFs on it. It could have a "needs maintenence" log, or it could ultimately get Archived. You look for a bit and muggles show up, you post a DNF, next a few other people do the same. The reviewer disables it, and eventually it gets archived because the CO could be away at college or temoparily locked up in Tijuana.. Whatever the case, the cache may actually be there and perfectly OK.

I'm not going to post a DNF if it may eventually cause an archival or a NM log, if my gut instinct feels that it really could be just well hidden.

Is there a big problem with reviewers disabling and archiving Caches that have DNFs on them?? I just don't see it happening. They don't monitor logs unless someone asks them to(in an email or a NM log) as far as I know, a Cache could have 100 DNF logs, and the reviewers wouldn't even know it. Where is anyone getting the idea that three DNF logs will get a Cache shut down??

It's not a big problem, but it occurs sporadically.

Pepper in the newbie DNFs along with the DNFs from people that had to leave because they got warded off by muggles and it may seem like a needs maintenence log should be posted.

I'm sure many DNFs should be notes, and some Needs Archived or Maintenence logs should actually be DNFs, but what can you do? ;)

Whoa Nellie!

Let's back the angst meter down a lot here. A reminder.

Here are some things to keep in mind when posting:

1. Forum courtesy: Please treat Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, fellow community members, and guests on these boards with courtesy and respect. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they should be treated fairly.

3. Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad. General attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

The name calling and spew is going to stop. Now. Holy smokes folks.

If you cannot get your point across in a civilized manner, then stay out of the discussion.

If it continues, expect to be expelled forcefully from the discussion.

bangouch.gif

Moderator please delete this topic - It has lost the plot a few have assisted in there feed back but a few have spoilt it for the others. Please delete. ;)

Finally, something I to which I have a definite opinion. Caching is actually fairly simple. Either you go out and find it or you go out and do not find it. I've actually found some caches that were laying out in the open. So by the DNF/Muggled logic, I should have had the option to select stumbled upon it. If you go and search and don't find it then log the DNF. DNFs Happen!

February 17 by ******* (26 found)

tried to look for this one but couldnt get near it cause a homeless guy was sleeping in his car next to cache better luck next time

View This Log

Interesting DNF log... just happened to stumble across this, and I thought of this thread.

This relative n00b sees it as many others do, and as many others don't.

Nothing confusing about this DNF, would you say?

Moderator please delete this topic - It has lost the plot a few have assisted in there feed back but a few have spoilt it for the others. Please delete. :D

I won't delete it, but I will be more than happy to close it for you. A shame. Don't let this experience chase you from the forums.