Muggled out Button - show support to get it added here

This is a terrible idea.
OK, then would you buy a "Mosquitos were too thick" button?

Fine. But I also want a "There was a sketchy-looking muggle staring at me from his truck" button, and "Didn't bring appropriate footwear" button.

Me, I think I need a "fell in the creek" button.

McKee Clan... sorry about all the good-natured ribbing you're having to take for your post... from myself included. I do want to say that I appreciate you thinking of ways to improve the site and the game, and hope our funnin' you didn't bother you too much.

A DNF is when you have looked and not found it. The catch is that a DNF may also mean unable to search due to muggles. I emailed about getting a muggled out choice for the logs to allow each person to select. The purpose is to say I was here but the area was too busy to search. The response was very positive and they asked me to add to the forum this topic to gauge the response from the geocaching community. So feel free to write your comments and if you agree just put a simple I agree as the numbers will get it in the next upgrade.

My reason is that I have seen the ump in our area ask questions when there is multiple DNF's. The DNF's nearly all indicate they were muggled out in one form or another and I thought if there was a muggled out selection then this would stop that from happening.

Looking forward to the communities opinion and support. It would be a great feature especially to help hiders as they would not have to check all the time. ;)

lets not overthink it, and make it more complicated leave it the way it is and reflect your experience in your log.

Scubasonic

First, I'd like to say that my initial reaction to the subtitle "show support to get it added here" made my think "What the heck?!? Is this like one of those darned Faceplace groups I keep getting invitations to? You know, like "If we can get 1,000,000 people to join this group, Faceplace will bring back the old website!"

Yeah, ummm.... no. :)

A DNF is when you have looked and not found it. The catch is that a DNF may also mean unable to search due to muggles. . .
. . . or weather, or animals, or construction sites, or lack of proper underwear.

Where's my "Caching W/Out Underwear" button? Hmmm????

My only concern would be abuse of the button. Does using the "muggled out" button refer to you being muggled out of your search (blocked), or does it mean the cache itself was "muggled out" i.e... missing?

Might lead to some confusion sending conflicting messages to the Owner and other cachers. :mad:

I agree with this. In fact, after I got past my "this is just like Faceplace" reaction, my first thought was "Gosh! People can hardly keep straight what they're supposed to do with the options we have now. Let's add some more!"

Maybe the really dumb ones will get frustrated and quit! ;)

I vote for a hangover button that counts as a find, especially on those caches with 3+ terrain.

that be awesome.

Now this is an idea I could get behind! :mad:

Oh, and +2 on knowschad's last post. ;)

The response was very positive and they asked me to add to the forum this topic to gauge the response from the geocaching community.

Sounds like GS says "oooh, good idea!" with a smile and then feeds you to the lions so they can give you honest answers and be the "bad guys". :)

I'll oblige. A "Muggled out" log option is unnecessary as I'm sure the lions above me have already stated. You can easily convey this in a "DNF" or a "note". ;)

The response was very positive and they asked me to add to the forum this topic to gauge the response from the geocaching community.

Sounds like GS says "oooh, good idea!" with a smile and then feeds you to the lions so they can give you honest answers and be the "bad guys". :)

I'll oblige. A "Muggled out" log option is unnecessary as I'm sure the lions above me have already stated. You can easily convey this in a "DNF" or a "note". ;)

lions-vs-everything.jpg

lions-vs-everything.jpg

Okay, I gotta ask...

IS THAT CHAD???

lions-vs-everything.jpg

Okay, I gotta ask...

IS THAT CHAD???

In your dreams.

Can't that just be in the text of your DNF log?? ;)

That's what I would do. There is no need for additional log types to describe the numerous situations that might prevent one from finding a cache.

Aw. That means I cannot petition for

"Saw bear. Went back to car." Button

"Snow was too deep" Button

"Started raining, but I forgot my umbrella" Button

Oh, well. Wait! I could post all that in a DNF log, couldn't I???

McKee Clan... sorry about all the good-natured ribbing you're having to take for your post... from myself included. I do want to say that I appreciate you thinking of ways to improve the site and the game, and hope our funnin' you didn't bother you too much.

I think that who ever sent them here should apologize. They had to anticipate the reaction. They're probably still chuckling about it. ;)

I couldn't care less if there is a muggled out option. This is what I would do.

If I go to a location and for whatever reason don't really search for a cache I don't log anything. All the little circumstances that make me not search don't make me ponder over the reason I didn't find the cache. So I'm not going to be compelled to post me strife on the cache page. When I do finally search for it, and find it or not, I will mention the first time I visited the location.

Searching for a cache and not finding it makes me want to share, because I'm still thinking about it.

I think that who ever sent them here should apologize. They had to anticipate the reaction. They're probably still chuckling about it. ;)

I do think it was rather rude of who ever sent you here.

Hmmmmm...

You are sure the cache isn't there any longer, so you log a DNF?

Yes, indeed.

INMHO the log types NM and DNF are meant to be signals to the owner that something has happened to his/her cache (damage, destruction or the like). Or, to be more precise - that´s how I use them.

If I wasn´t able to search diligently enough because there were too many muggles around there is no need to inform the owner...

I vote no.

If you didn't search, log a note. If you searched and didn't find it, log a DNF.

Simple.

Adding new 'buttons' like this will only encourage people to not leave a descriptive log. Of course I guess it would work for anyone too lazy busy to leave a real log.

Hmmmmm...

Yes, indeed.

INMHO the log types NM and DNF are meant to be signals to the owner that something has happened to his/her cache (damage, destruction or the like). Or, to be more precise - that´s how I use them.

NM, yes. But DNF? If both are for the same purpose, isn't one redundant?

Hmmmmm...

Yes, indeed.

If I wasn´t able to search diligently enough because there were too many muggles around there is no need to inform the owner...

Well, for what its worth, your thinking goes counter to almost all others. If you find pieces of a cache, log, swag, etc. strewn about, you can be reasonably confident that the cache has been damaged/muggled. In that case, that is what a Needs Maintenance log is for. If you looked for a cache, but didn't find it, there is no way for you to know that it is missing, so you would not post a Needs Maintenance note, you would post a Did Not Find note because, well... you Did Not Find the cache!

Hmmmmm...

Yes, indeed.

Well, for what its worth, your thinking goes counter to almost all others. If you find pieces of a cache, log, swag, etc. strewn about, you can be reasonably confident that the cache has been damaged/muggled. In that case, that is what a Needs Maintenance log is for. If you looked for a cache, but didn't find it, there is no way for you to know that it is missing, so you would not post a Needs Maintenance note, you would post a Did Not Find note because, well... you Did Not Find the cache!

..and on and on.

BeatDeadHorse.gif

I am "rather certain" the horse is dead but you never know!! :P I should log a *DNF so the owner will verify this!! *(Dead, not fallen)

Hmmmmm...

Yes, indeed.

..and on and on.

BeatDeadHorse.gif

I am "rather certain" the horse is dead but you never know!! :P I should log a *DNF so the owner will verify this!! *(Dead, not fallen)

Some horses never die.

Can't that just be in the text of your DNF log?? :P

That's what I would do. There is no need for additional log types to describe the numerous situations that might prevent one from finding a cache.

Agreed. We don't need a "flooded out" "burned out" "beamed out" or "digested by local wildlife" log types either. They are all covered under "DNF" with explanatory text. I'd actually rather get some detail in the text other than somebody punching the generic "muggled out" button and then being less descriptive.

I'm in this camp.

Either you found it, or you didn't.

There may be extenuating circumstances you can discuss in your log if you like.

I only log a DNF if I feel that I've done due diligence and really looked for the cache and haven't found it. If Muggles prevent me from looking I don't even log it. I don't think this warrants a special log type. I think a DNF or Note are appropriate.
Coming from someone that has been doing this for a while: What is this "due diligence" stuff, anyway? Due diligence is that you decided to look for it. If you did not find it because a tornado just wiped out the park, please mention that in your DNF log. If you did not find the cache because the earthquake moved the coordinates ten feet to the far left, please mention THAT in your DNF log. If you were unable to find it because you were kidnapped at GZ by Columbian drug lords, by all means... mention it in your DNF log. "Due diligence"? Give me a break.

I'm sorry, but I believe that we are seeing more and more people saying things like that, and everybody that says it only adds to those that do it. DNF logs are there because you looked, and did not find it, not because you think you looked hard enough to claim one. Please, as a cache owner, let us know.

whew!!! :P

I only log a DNF if I feel that I've done due diligence and really looked for the cache and haven't found it. If Muggles prevent me from looking I don't even log it. I don't think this warrants a special log type. I think a DNF or Note are appropriate.
Coming from someone that has been doing this for a while: What is this "due diligence" stuff, anyway? Due diligence is that you decided to look for it. If you did not find it because a tornado just wiped out the park, please mention that in your DNF log. If you did not find the cache because the earthquake moved the coordinates ten feet to the far left, please mention THAT in your DNF log. If you were unable to find it because you were kidnapped at GZ by Columbian drug lords, by all means... mention it in your DNF log. "Due diligence"? Give me a break.

I'm sorry, but I believe that we are seeing more and more people saying things like that, and everybody that says it only adds to those that do it. DNF logs are there because you looked, and did not find it, not because you think you looked hard enough to claim one. Please, as a cache owner, let us know.

Wow! Commie Nazi thought police 1984 Orwellian Dystopian ideology will be the end of the world 2012 style. Howabout we play this game the way each wants, and not force others to do it the way you want. DNF don't DNF, log don't log. How is it your way is the right way?

Get off the High Horse that the other sickos are beating and let people have fun.

Blah.......

You guys are missing the point. I don't think a "muggled out" button would work, but the reason that the OP suggested it was because not all DNFs are the same. Some DNFs mean that the cache is not there, others mean that someone just couldn't find it. A cache could get archived if it has a few DNFs on it. It could have a "needs maintenence" log, or it could ultimately get Archived. You look for a bit and muggles show up, you post a DNF, next a few other people do the same. The reviewer disables it, and eventually it gets archived because the CO could be away at college or temoparily locked up in Tijuana.. Whatever the case, the cache may actually be there and perfectly OK.

I'm not going to post a DNF if it may eventually cause an archival or a NM log, if my gut instinct feels that it really could be just well hidden.

Wow! Commie Nazi thought police 1984 Orwellian Dystopian ideology will be the end of the world 2012 style. Howabout we play this game the way each wants, and not force others to do it the way you want. DNF don't DNF, log don't log. How is it your way is the right way?

Get off the High Horse that the other sickos are beating and let people have fun.

Blah.......

Boy, they are all coming out of the woodwork tonight for some reason. I know that the moon isn't full. What is it, then, anyway?

Did you happen to notice that I used the word, "please" several times, that I was expressing my opinion, not the law, and that I did not call anybody insulting names as you did?

I have a difficult cache. In a valley that makes sat locks very difficult. I'm not going to the location for maintenance every time a NUB can't find it. So I disregard almost all DNF's 'till someone finds it again.

Nothing paramount in a DNF that warrants everyone to post DNF's.

Play your way!

Blah.......

Boy, they are all coming out of the woodwork tonight for some reason. I know that the moon isn't full. What is it, then, anyway?

Did you happen to notice that I used the word, "please" several times, that I was expressing my opinion, not the law, and that I did not call anybody insulting names as you did?

No. False pleasantries doesn't make your stance any less totalitarian. Play your way and shut up.

I have a difficult cache. In a valley that makes sat locks very difficult. I'm not going to the location for maintenance every time a NUB can't find it. So I disregard almost all DNF's 'till someone finds it again.

Play your way!

Yes... play it your way. But don't be calling me a Nazi. Ever.

Blah.......

Ya, wait till you have a "Needs Maintenence" log posted from someone a few hundred miles away because of a few DNFs on a difficult hide. You gotta make a run out to the site to verify that it is there. To some people a DNF is only used if they feel that it is actually missing for that reason.

Beat the high horse! :laughing:

Play your way!

Yes... play it your way. But don't be calling me a Nazi. Ever.

Can't help yourself? Don't tell anyone how to think! :P

Play your way and shut up.

Perhaps it is time you follow your own advice before it is enforced for you?

Welcome to geocaching newbie, and the internet. Play it your way. Enforce yourself. :P

*sigh* Are you always this rude?

Perhaps before anyone PLOPS in the middle of a community and tells them what to do they realize that the internet is based on anonymity and free thought. How is it rude to disagree with some one that is imposing their ideology on everyone else?

Perhaps before anyone PLOPS in the middle of a community and tells them what to do they realize that the internet is based on anonymity and free thought. How is it rude to disagree with some one that is imposing their ideology on everyone else?

Disagreeing is not rude. Name calling, however, crosses the boundary. Surely as an old timer here you should know better and not need a newbie to remind you of proper behavior? Or does seniority give you some sort of immunity?

Blah.......

How is this generalization, name calling? In this anonymous environment how is it that everyone is so sensitive?

Stop telling everyone what to do, or how to act and think.

Thought policing is telling me I'm being rude. By your standards. Who are you, to me? Or anyone else?

Selfrighteous is not the same as righteous.

How is this generalization, name calling? In this anonymous environment how is it that everyone is so sensitive?

Thought policing is telling me I'm being rude. By your standards. Who are you, to me? Or anyone else?

So, you don't like other people telling someone else how to do, act or think, but you feel justified in doing so yourself? How quaint.

The strange thing is, in almost every single one of your posts, you'd do well to follow your own advice.

Ya, wait till you have a "Needs Maintenence" log posted from someone a few hundred miles away because of a few DNFs on a difficult hide. You gotta make a run out to the site to verify that it is there. To some people a DNF is only used if they feel that it is actually missing for that reason.
Hmm... how would I deal with that thorny situation?

I know! I know! I have a great idea!

Maybe I would read the logs before heading out to check on it. You know, that place where people write about what they did and why they couldn't find it? Maybe from that I could discern whether they had looked seriously for it or not!

Wow, what a concept!

A special thanks to those who have left feedback positive and negative it all helps. The secondary purpose was to allow others to see how people log and it was great to see the note as an option more than a DNF is used. I agree and write notes if they are warranted as most cache write ups explain that it is a high traffic area :) .

A very special thanks goes to the group who have used this forum to have a dummy spit at each other and make a joke of it. You are why most people ignore the forum and put it down to sensless babble, how is that going to assist and educate the new geocahers. It would have been nicer if you had created your own forum and had you session there instead of this topic. It has detracted from the original point. you idiots! ;)

My thoughts are - yes I agree an extra button would create confusion and a note is sufficent not a DNF. It is just educating the geo community to this proccess to assist cache owners :) .

Thankyou to those who have had the common courtesy to assist me in this process and especially explain how they do it so I can pass that onto our geo community. I have to say reading a lot of the logs was a laugh and enjoyed most and especially the honesty of a few who were brave enough to put down how they do it B) . I am not interested in the tit for tat stuff ;) .

Interesting logs, the idea was to see what the community thought and from what I can see from the logs 20% were constructive and 80% was tit for tat on others comments. I knew what I was in for when I posted. I have laughed at many of the posts, but was disappointed to see the post spits at each other towards the end. It would be interesting if it was more face to face as the forum is very impersonal. I have resided that the forums is not a place to get educated on how to geocache and that it is more for people to have an opinon right or wrong and argue about it. I can't wait to see more posts.

whew!!! ;)

Blah.......

Since this started with a reply to a post of mine (a post that, by the way, was not addressed to you, but you decided to get involved in anyway), I will try to explain.

When you refer to "Commie Nazi thought police" in bold letters to a post of mine, you do not actually need to say that I am the "Commie Nazi thought police" to convey the concept that you are calling me the "Commie Nazi thought police". You were name calling and we can all see that.

When you tell me, "Get off the High Horse that the other sickos are beating", you are calling others "sickos", which is name calling, and in the same sentence, you are associating me with thosE "other sickos", which is also name calling. So... you didn't just call me names, but you called a bunch of us names.

In addition...in my reply to obsidianspider that caused you (not obsidianspider) to go off on this bold-fonted rampage, I said, "please mention that in your DNF log", "please mention THAT in your DNF log", and "by all means... mention it in your DNF log". I was expressing an opinion of mine. I was in no way telling anyone how to play the game.

Bummer of an idea.

There are now over one million caches active.

That's gonna keep me busy all day writing notes on all the caches I didn't find today for one reason or another.

FWIW I've very rarely been unable to log a cache because of muggles. With a few exceptions I've chosen to introduce myself, explain the game, tell them what I'm doing and often ask them if they want to join the hunt.

To my knowledge no cache I have ever revealed has been muggled as a result, but I sure have introduced a lot of folks to our game! ;)

Are you saying that this person from a few hundred miles away that posted the DNF did, or did not, attept to find your cache. If it was a bogus DNF that was posted just because somebody from out of town noticed several DNFs on my cache and decided to add one more, I think that we be pretty clear to figure out from looking at that person's profile, and ignore, although I have never had that happen with any caches of mine. Still, as in the thread about the cache on the east coast where some kid from hundreds of miles away posted a Needs Archived log, not once, but twice. But that is an extreme case, not something you encounter every day.

No... I'd rather see real DNFs on my caches. I don't need to be protected from them.

Are you saying that this person from a few hundred miles away that posted the DNF did, or did not, attept to find your cache. If it was a bogus DNF that was posted just because somebody from out of town noticed several DNFs on my cache and decided to add one more, I think that we be pretty clear to figure out from looking at that person's profile, and ignore, although I have never had that happen with any caches of mine. Still, as in the thread about the cache on the east coast where some kid from hundreds of miles away posted a Needs Archived log, not once, but twice. But that is an extreme case, not something you encounter every day.

No... I'd rather see real DNFs on my caches. I don't need to be protected from them.

No, I'm talking about bogus "Needs Maintenence" logs because of valid DNFs. The DNFs may, or may not indicate if it was a valid search due to muggles, or being interrupted by muggles.

Hmm... how would I deal with that thorny situation?

I know! I know! I have a great idea!

Maybe I would read the logs before heading out to check on it. You know, that place where people write about what they did and why they couldn't find it? Maybe from that I could discern whether they had looked seriously for it or not!

Wow, what a concept!

Idealy that would work, but if the DNF doesn't have any details then you are still left running out to check on it. Or, you could post a fake "Owner Maintenence" log, but then you would make a few people very cranky.

Maybe you could take a course in psychic mind reading before heading out to check on it. You know, that place where people learn to read thoughts from non-tinfoil hat wearers? Maybe from that you could discern whether they had looked seriously for it or not!

Wow, what a concept! :);)

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

No, I'm talking about bogus "Needs Maintenence" logs because of valid DNFs. The DNFs may, or may not indicate if it was a valid search due to muggles, or being interrupted by muggles.

All I can say is that I've never had that happen to me. I haven't been at this as long as you have, but I've still been at it quite a while and have put a lot of caches out. That doesn't mean that it won't happen, of course, but I'd think that it would be a very, very rare occurrance.

Of course, none of mine are so far away that it would be a major deal to check up on them.