Input on a potential new cache, please

I'm considering creating a multi-cache but would welcome any comments and/or advice before hand.

Basically, what I want to do is have the first part of the cache to contain a key with the coords on the key fob for the main cache, which is a locked metal container (not padlocked, but an internally fitted lock - similar to a cash box)

Firstly, is there any rule that outlaws the use of locked containers as a cache? The box itself is not an industrial or security-type box, but a 12"x6"x3" lockable tin box that a limited edition copy of GTA4 (for Xbox 360) came in. It has one small lock, like a on desk drawer - simply turning the key swings the latch inside thought 90 degrees. It would be concealed in a camo bag.

Secondly, there's the issue of returning of the key. What distance would be considered too far to have to walk back to the first cache to replace the key? The locations I have in mind are only about 200-250 metres apart. Would any of you baulk at the thought of having to back-track? The location of the cache with the key would be placed strategically, almost en route, to the location of the main cache, so people wouldn't be overly going out of their way to return it.

I would make sure that there were at least 3 keys/fobs on the go at any one time (one in use, one left in case others find it in the interim period, and one spare). I would also conceal a key close the main cache site for my knowledge only and I'd also have a few spares knocked up just in case. I appreciate that the distance doesn't seem that far but I just thought that it could be quite exciting knowing that you have a key to a secret stash.

I would be glad to hear what people think as, if it looks like a non-starter, I don't want to waste my time setting the whole thing up only to get shot down in flames!

Many thanks.

Hi

I have found at least 2 versions of your planned hide local to me.

Both worked fine, the Keys were hidden closer than your from the sound of it, around 50 mtrs away.

The only problem that we encountered was that the keys and locks suffer from rust which can quickly take hold and make using them difficult, especially if not found for a while!

These things are worth considering when hidding metal containers and the like.

But other than that soundsGreat

Another option (also already in use) is to have the log locked with a combi lock in a container within the cache container - with co-ords to an additional stage where the combination can be found...

I have a cache that requires unlocking with two separate keys, about 500m apart. In this case the keys are fixed in position, and you have to carry the cache between them. There is more to the cache - but telling you would spoil the fun :)

I've found a few locked caches. I even own one, but you unlock it with top secret information from CONTROL, not a key. One of the local locked caches involves finding one of three travelling Travel Bugs that each has a key on it to get into the final cache.

Good luck with the new cache. It sounds great!

Sounds interesting - I'd definitely attempt something like this :huh: Adding extra little "tricks" to the hunt just makes it that little more fun!

Of course, you could always have a few spare keys done up, just in case the one you leave in the cache goes missing :) Perhaps you get 4 copies made, keep the original and 2 spares at home, and just put out 2 copies. That way, there's enough keys should 2 people attempt the cache on the same day (around the same time), yet you also have spares should any go missing/stolen/rusted up.

i had one with a key that soon rusted up - so i replaced it with a combi lock.

i have recently started aquiring old keys for a new cache that has a big bunch of keys (about 60 - 70) with only one opening a lock, these will all be inside an airtight/water tight box to stop rust.

(PS if anyone wants to donate some keys for my cache just drop me a PM)

I've done one of these (probably one of the ones Burtsbodgers found) and thought it was a great idea. I don't see a problem with having to walk a hundred metres or so for the key. As BB said the one I did was a bit rusty and I thought it might be hard to open but in the end it wasn't a problem however you should take steps to grease the lock and do whatever you can to stop water getting into it.

I've also done a couple of caches that were locked with combination locks where the number had to be collected along the way, another good idea.

Go for it I say.

Thanks to everyone for your encouraging comments. Rust is one thing I certainly hadn't considered :)

I think I'll get this up and running after all, as long as I can find enough cover to hide the final cache - the area seems to be a tad bear in Winter. Unfortunately, the cache is not waterproof but I have bought some waterproof material & glue (not to mention a small sewing machine from my local charity shop!) to make a camo bag so hopefully it will keep dry if I wrap it properly.

Again, thanks to all of you that kindly commented.

:huh:

Thanks to everyone for your encouraging comments. Rust is one thing I certainly hadn't considered :)

I think I'll get this up and running after all, as long as I can find enough cover to hide the final cache - the area seems to be a tad bear in Winter. Unfortunately, the cache is not waterproof but I have bought some waterproof material & glue (not to mention a small sewing machine from my local charity shop!) to make a camo bag so hopefully it will keep dry if I wrap it properly.

Again, thanks to all of you that kindly commented.

:huh:

WD40 in the lock will help to prevent rust and keep things moving. You may need to do this a regular intervals. Bear in mind, even if you wrap it properly, Cachers may not. So if the contents depend on your bag being watertight, make it idiot proof.

Thanks Andy. As the cache will be only a five minute walk from my house I'll be able to keep a regular check on it. Also, I intend to place all of the contents of the cache in a zip lock bag just to make sure.

I'll give the lock a very light smearing of grease just to keep it all working but might include a small can of WD40 actually in the cache. I just hope people don't think I'm trying to get them to do my maintenance for me tho...!

I've heard of this done with a Travel Bug that had a key attached to it. The bug or it's page told you where the cache was. The problem was - the friend who found the key was in Germany whilst the cache was in the US! The next week I found a TB that had a key attached but was disappointed that it didn't actually open anything.