Anyone use Mobile Atlas Creator

Rifty

It looks ideal - choice of all sorts of mapping data, google earth, microsoft maps, streetmap etc and exports your selection direct to a kmz file, all geo-referenced up.

HOWEVER. Although I can select my chosen area and zoom level using google earth, the download of the tiles fails every time (despite showing them on the screen). So close, yet so far !

This would directly replace the Garmin birds eye view offering and with multimap, effectively means OS level mapping available free to anyone oregon user as a custom map !

Anyone use this to do custom maps ? (Oh, and it doesn't like going through corporate firewalls either).

Mobile Atlas Creator website.

Ta !

I've managed to get it to work from home. Writing these from memory so the button names are probably incorrect - but the names should at least give you the idea

1) Click the settings, one of the options is for a maximum tile size. Change this to 1024

2) highlight the area you want

3) select the zoom level you want in the check boxes near the top left

4) click the add selection button - Not sure of the wording - about halfway down, a new layer should appear in the box above the button

5) set the output type to Garmin Custom Map

6) click the Generate Album button

A window should then appear saying what it is doing.

-- corporate firewall issue -- this is probably just he java proxy settings, I have similiar issues with another java app. Manually setting the proxy via Control Panel->Java->Network lets this other app work.

Hope these help a bit.

It does but constantly fails, regardless of whether there is a corporate proxy in the way. Just for google earth, other sources work, even after updating sources. So close, yet so far !

I've managed to get it to work from home. Writing these from memory so the button names are probably incorrect - but the names should at least give you the idea

1) Click the settings, one of the options is for a maximum tile size. Change this to 1024

2) highlight the area you want

3) select the zoom level you want in the check boxes near the top left

4) click the add selection button - Not sure of the wording - about halfway down, a new layer should appear in the box above the button

5) set the output type to Garmin Custom Map

6) click the Generate Album button

-- corporate firewall issue -- this is probably just he java proxy settings, I have similiar issues with another java app. Manually setting the proxy via Control Panel->Java->Network lets this other app work.

Hope these help a bit.

Wow.

I just took a look at this software, and though I don't have a "next gen" Garmin (I'm using a 60Csx), I would think Garmin OR and CO users would love this! I'm still toying with it, but that 6-step intro sure is helpful in learning the software. Thanks!

[edit: I end up with a kmz file after all's said and done, but I'm not sure how this file type would work on an Oregon or Colorado (again, I just have a 60CSx). Can .kmz files be used like .img files on the newer models?]

Edited by Cache Liberation Front

I just did what was said on this forum...basically make sure its 1024 on the size as its default is larger, make sure your saving it as kmz and when saving it also make sure its the best zoom you can get but not go over 100 tiles...so for my maps I could only go to 17 zoom and stay under 100, worked great on a neighborhood and 1 for out in the boonies as well, quite clear or as clear as you can get down to decent zoom on the gps itself. It should pretty much look just like it does on your PC but smaller

Ok, I just received my Garmin 450.

First, yay me!

Second, I'm messing around with making Custom Maps, and this "100 image" limitation is slightly enigmatic. Through my testing, it doesn't mean "100 tiles." I just used MAC to create a 130 tile .kmz file at 19 zoom. It works like a charm on my 450.

I have multiple small kmz files on the 450, I wonder if the limit is "100 kmz files"?

Or perhaps the 100 tiles does not mean 100 images, but instead somehow each "tile" consists of multiple "images"? Ugh.

I'll keep experimenting, but if anyone's been messing with MAC a bit and has a quick answer, I'd appreciate it. I don't want to UNDER sell my new Garmin and not put the max number of aerial maps on it that I can. :P

ok. I've got it working but the maps i've made are completely blurred and so totally unreadable.

I'm pretty sure I've done something wrong but I keep going over the destructions and I've done everything.

Has anyone else had this problem???

if the area you select is to large it loses quality during the JPG compression. i found the best way to create a custom map is to decide on wat zoom level u want. then enable the grid level two zoom levels higher.

eg is u want zoom level 14 maps use grip 12.

create an individual tile for each square of the grid. remember there is a maximum of 100 tiles

it can be tedious to do a large area but this method ensures the maps are highest possible quality

Why individual? I just slide my mouse to select and have beautiful results.

yes for smaller areas but wen ive tried to do entire districts like south ribble near preston for example ive had better results splitting it into smaller chunks. eg split southribble into 30 seperare tiles

I am surprised there is not more discussion about Mobil Atlas Creator. I have been playing around with it and it is pretty cool. It is awesome that all that info is free. So far I like it. It takes some trial and error until you get the map the way you want it. At this point I dont see the need to pay for the Birdseye subscription.

That tool looks promising. So far I have been using MAPC2MAPC to manually georeference arbitrary raster data (like state/city park trailmaps), and GPS Visualizer has a nice KML Network Link that lets you automatically generate a KMZ with various data for your current Google Earth view.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/kml_overlay and http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/google_earth/...twork_link.html

Main thing I don't like about the direct network link is that it won't autotile. One could use the KML overlay to generate a "large" overlay and then use MAPC2MAPC to autotile it.