Recycled Caches

If the cache is in a good location then I am inclined to say go for it. Of course I would need to ask why you archived the prior cache. And also, why can't you launch the Geocoins in other caches?

Just a personal whim. The reason for archiving the old listing was to make room for the new one. The previous listing has outlived it's original purpose, and the new listing is starting specifically to launch the Racers

Here's the archived listing, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b4-6954fc9c1120

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

If you keep the old log book, don't be surprised if people log both the active cache, and the archived cache. I saw that happen last weekend!

I thought about that. It won't bother me, but I'm not going to activly promote it. I can't remember if there's a name in the book that will point to the old listing. It will be easy enough for them to find it though. I think most of the people who will want to already have.

My take on this situation:

If I want to place a cache in the exact spot where I already have a cache, I prefer to keep the old cache going.

If I want to start the racers in a new cache, I find a good spot to place the new cache without archiving the old one.

If I recycle the container from an archived listing, I put in a new logbook.

I've no problem with it.

I would suggest dropping in a new logbook though. Cost is like only $40 for a cheap pocket spiral notebook - or just printout any of the many free logsheets.

Where do you buy your log books?!?! :)

Nieman Marcus

If only the deficit had a misplaced decimal point............ :huh:

$0.40

I'm not a fan of the recycled caches. It means I have to go find the same cache again to clear it off my unfound list. I enjoy the journey and the experience and finding the same cache or a similar cache in near the same spot really isn't enjoyable for me.

I don't see the point in archiving a perfectly viable cache for the sole prpose of creating a new, identical listing. It seems like more work for the reviewers with little or no payoff.
I have a few I am contemplating do that with but with good reason. One is a cache that was at a little rural canoe launch which now is being totally rebuilt into a preserve with museum, rental cabins, facilities and concession stand. The original cache was themed for the original location. New cache will be themed for the new surroundings and would rather bring folks there again even if they found the original.

Another was a cache that was located near a donation center for a bird sanctuary which closed down and was a vacant building for ages but now has reopened as a massage parlor. The "theme" doesn't quite fit anymore :)

If you keep the old log book, don't be surprised if people log both the active cache, and the archived cache. I saw that happen last weekend!

Or you get a nasty e-mail from the FTF, upset that the logbook wasn't virgin (this happened to me).

Ugh, I'm a little worried about that. I like the logbook, it's a nice hardbound book and it's a shame to waste it. If the last 45 people to sign it had written short notes rather than just name and date, then they would have used about half the book instead only the first few pages. Thanks for the input while I still have a chance to change that. I'll give it some thought.

I'm not a fan of the recycled caches. It means I have to go find the same cache again to clear it off my unfound list. I enjoy the journey and the experience and finding the same cache or a similar cache in near the same spot really isn't enjoyable for me.
If the cache is placed in a desirable area, you could change that to "I GET TO go back".

That said, unless he has changed his mind on it, my local reviewer will insist that there has been a "significant change" in the cache... specifically size, style of camo, and so on.

First off, I see someone's turning forty this year! :) Seems a good reason to archive a cache celebrating a 35th birthday. Happy B-Day.

Or you get a nasty e-mail from the FTF, upset that the logbook wasn't virgin (this happened to me).
Ugh, I'm a little worried about that. I like the logbook, it's a nice hardbound book and it's a shame to waste it. If the last 45 people to sign it had written short notes rather than just name and date, then they would have used about half the book instead only the first few pages. Thanks for the input while I still have a chance to change that. I'll give it some thought.
Maybe you could find a way to set the "original" pages apart? Laminate them? Put in a divider between the old and the new? This might encourage people to actually look through the old logs and would help get people to sign the current pages, rather than try and squeeze onto an old page. Edited by Too Tall John

Why can't you simply change the cache page and unarchive it?

Getting a +1 on your hide count for zero effort. Seems like a plan. NOT

I wanted a clean break from the old listing. In this case, the best way to preserve the history of the old Cache is to archive it, and let it be recorded the way it is. Editing the page would have eliminated the story of the original placement. I also wanted to encourage people to come grab the Racers, and just rewording the old Cache wouldn't do that.

Why can't you simply change the cache page and unarchive it?

Getting a +1 on your hide count for zero effort. Seems like a plan. NOT

I wanted a clean break from the old listing. In this case, the best way to preserve the history of the old Cache is to archive it, and let it be recorded the way it is. Editing the page would have eliminated the story of the original placement. I also wanted to encourage people to come grab the Racers, and just rewording the old Cache wouldn't do that.

Whatever you do, I would suggest you check with your reviewer first. As I mentioned above, I know that mine does (or did) have a problem with that.
Whatever you do, I would suggest you check with your reviewer first. As I mentioned above, I know that mine does (or did) have a problem with that.

The reviewer will have the final word anyway you slice it... but if the original is archived then it's gone Off the radar. Non-existent as far as the GC world is concerned. The new cache is a new cache, and hopefully looked at as such.

I have had hides in certain locations, then heavily upgraded the camo and hide technique but basically in the same spot. Archived the old one and re-listed the new one so the people that found the old hide could enjoy the new camo... never had any flack from our reviewer ;)

You can make it a different and unique adventure if you choose to. A local cacher recycled a cache from the final of an involved puzzle Hopewell Big Woods to a single traditional hide and invited everyone to visit the site again for another find. I wasn't comfortable with that, but I did do it... at night without GPS, compass, map, or flashlight.

I live in a urban concrete jungle... yes there are park here and there. However, most have been filled with caches for some time.

I personally like to see an area re-populated with new caches so I have something to do close by. So, that is what I do - archive mine and put something new in its place or nearby and give others a chance to find it.

However, not many others do that...

Just my $.02....

I'm not a fan of the recycled caches. It means I have to go find the same cache again to clear it off my unfound list. .....

Wow!! That sounds serious. Just who is holding a gun to your head to make you go and do something you clearly would not enjoy???

I don't think anyone put a gun to his head, he just responded to the original poster's request for opinions with his opinion and concerns.

As for my opinion, I personally don't care for this. It's the same cache new listing, for me it's not a new find. I would certainly encourage you to make a note of the old cache in the new listing so people don't show up and re find the cache if they don't want to.

(note: a gun was NOT put to my head in making this post :P )

I don't think anyone put a gun to his head, he just responded to the original poster's request for opinions with his opinion and concerns.

As for my opinion, I personally don't care for this. It's the same cache new listing, for me it's not a new find. I would certainly encourage you to make a note of the old cache in the new listing so people don't show up and re find the cache if they don't want to.

(note: a gun was NOT put to my head in making this post :P )

Here's part of the Cache description. I think it does the trick.

This is Riciculous!!

I already found this Cache...TWICE!!

That's right...it's the same old Cache in the same old place. I'm listing this as a new Cache so that I can launch eight Ridiculous Rhodes Racers on their way to Greece! The first one to make it into the hands of my friend GATOULIS will qualify all of it's helpers for a drawing of prizes. Who wouldn't want in on that deal? The prizes will be free Travel Bugs and Geocoins!! All you need to do to qualify is to help the winning coin on it's journey, so come on by and grab one to get it started. After all the Racers are on their way, please treat this like a regular Cache. There's plenty of room for Travel Bugs!!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...63-6ffd3d3bdeb9

I would at least put a new log in there or if it has pages get rid of the pages that are written on.

I really considered that aspect. I decided to leave the original for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it's a nice hardbound book with only about the first 6-10 pages used, and secondly, it makes the whole thing even more Ridiculous, in keeping with the theme of the Race.

It looks like there's a good variance of opinion on the situation. I guess in the end, those who like it will find it, and others will ignore it. I still get a laugh every time I read the Cache page.