Puzzle solving.

I understand that certain puzzle require software that decodes the puzzle. I'm having trouble figuring out what software I need to do this. Can anyone help.

I have found that some puzzles require decoding or other software solutions but without knowing more the possibilities are infinite. Part of the puzzle is to figure out what tool you need to solve it. Google can be your friend. Some cache owners will give you a nudge or two or three. Of course if the puzzle demands advanced programing skills or higher math ("try a little trig") it goes on my ignore list.

In fact, puzzles that require installation of a specific piece of software on your computer in order to solve them are not allowed.

there is no such puzzle around, if the CO owner will do that it would actually mean they hand you the solution, and is not the point

In fact, puzzles that require installation of a specific piece of software on your computer in order to solve them are not allowed.

I have seen my share of puzzles that involve software, such as those that decrypt or unpack graphic images. I suppose you could write your c-code as some puzzle solvers have been known to do, but the rule seems to be interpreted somewhat loosely.

I understand that certain puzzle require software that decodes the puzzle. I'm having trouble figuring out what software I need to do this. Can anyone help.
You could be referring to Steganography, where a hidden message is contained within a graphic or other file, or you could be referring to one form or another of cryptography, or perhaps even to something that I'm not familiar with. Your question is really too vague to be able to give you a helpful answer, I'm afraid.

I have seen my share of puzzles that involve software, such as those that decrypt or unpack graphic images. I suppose you could write your c-code as some puzzle solvers have been known to do, but the rule seems to be interpreted somewhat loosely.
No, there is a big difference between something that can be decoded by one of many programs (such as an image or sound file) and something that can only be decoded by one specific program that you have to install on your machine (such as some steganography apps).

The former is allowed; you get to choose which decoder to use. The latter is not, as there is no choice.

Do reviewers even check that?

I've seen caches that are really just saying "download this software from my site and do this this and this to find what you need to calculate the cache". Not to mention the various steganography caches which basically do the same kind of stuff.

Thanks for the replies fellers. I guess I just need more cache time.
Locally we have puzzles that require holding the mouse over certain parts of an image, solving a crossword puzzle and figuring out a code nested in the puzzle results, morse code, pixel image size, alcohol content of beers, hidden text, barcode images, base64 conversions, song lyrics, tones on a phone, golf course info, connect the dots, invention patent info, periodic table elements, etc.... I don't see how you'd ever find any "application" to help solve a puzzle ;)

I've done a lot of the puzzles in your area. The best thing to get help is to contact the cache owner and get a nudge. Also, you should plan on attending the next event cache and meet up with other local cachers and they will be willing to give you a helping hand. They love to brag about the evil puzzles they have conquered.

Do reviewers even check that?

I've seen caches that are really just saying "download this software from my site and do this this and this to find what you need to calculate the cache". Not to mention the various steganography caches which basically do the same kind of stuff.

with this disclaimer on the cache listing you can have a cache where download requirement is acceptable

not to be confused with having to install something, that is not acceptable

Notice required by Groundspeak: Alert: You are about to download a file in order to obtain further details needed to find this geocache. As the cache owner, I represent that this file is safe to download although the files needed to complete this geocache have not been checked by Groundspeak or by the Geocache Reviewer for possible malicious content. As a result, you are downloading this file at your own risk.
Edited by t4e