Rest area geocaches

zuma!

I travel frequently, and caches at rest areas encourage me to stop. We'll usually run inside and buy a snack or a meal if we're really hungry, plus we'll pick up some travel brochures.

That not only has an immediate impact because I'm spending money right then, but it'll often have future rewards because we'll often come back and plan a vacation around the places in the brochure.

If the cache wasn't there, I'd be less likely to stop.

Here is Michigan policy-

Geocaching

Geocaching is a new recreational activity that brings technology and nature together.

It is similar to treasure hunting and is initiated by an individual hiding a cache, normally in a waterproof container with small items inside. The location is recorded with a Global Positioning Unit (GPS). The individual then posts the GPS coordinates along with a description of the cache on the geocaching Web site (www.geocaching.com).

Other individuals then try to find the cache. When it is located, participants sign a logbook, then take or leave a small item. They also post their find on the on-line logbook.

Mn/DOT wants to encourage positive use of its rest areas and feels that geocaching, if played in accordance with this policy, will not conflict with other rest area uses.

I don't think you can find a rest area without a cache in Michigan. B)

Mn/DOT is Minnesota..... Michigan is MI not MN ;):DB)

I haven't heard of an overall policy in Texas but when I was in west Texas last year I found several and in most cases I was asked "did you find it?" by the workers at the stop. One would assume they were ok with the placement in those cases.

I had that happen to me at a rest area near Tulare Ca :D