oregon 550t

Wrgwayandhobolos

Might want to save the $100 on the T and just get the 550 can always add the maps later

If you're like me and wondering "are there any other differences between T and non-T", the answer seems to be the amount of internal memory. The T has around 4 GB of internal memory (to hold the topo maps), and the non-T has around 1 GB.

My opinion is that if you want Garmin's maps, you'd be better off usually if you get the 24K maps for your region, since they are more detailed and the roads are routable. They don't cover the entire U.S., of course, and if you happen to need more than one region it gets expensive.

Between OSM and GPSFileDepot I don't see a need for Garmin maps for me right now.

Edited by Chrysalides

I have the 550 with out the T, and love it. paperless and the ease of logging, the wiki posted earlier is a great resource.

Might want to save the $100 on the T and just get the 550 can always add the maps later

or there are free routeable maps here

http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

ok, so I took the advice and downloaded the routable maps for my area. from what I understood I drop the .img file into my GPS. But where?

running an Oregon 400t btw.

I have the 550 with out the T, and love it. paperless and the ease of logging, the wiki posted earlier is a great resource.

or there are free routeable maps here

http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

ok, so I took the advice and downloaded the routable maps for my area. from what I understood I drop the .img file into my GPS. But where?

You're going to drop that file through MapInstall or MapSource on to an SD card (mini), then put that into your GPS.

You're going to drop that file through MapInstall or MapSource on to an SD card (mini), then put that into your GPS.

No need. Just copy / drag and drop in File Explorer the gmapsupp.img into X:\Garmin where X is your Oregon drive letter or microSD drive letter.