Terminology of Benchmarks

paul-3

Look for the link to my web page.

I think if you look in the conversation "Photos of witness posts and benchmarks".

I had finally stumbled on a witness post a few months ago and said "wow. That is what they look like." I posted some photos and the many people from here started donating photos and the web page has grown.

It has photos of different witness posts and survey markers.

(BTW - a witness post is a post of wood, metal, or carsonite, which may or may not have a sign attached, and stands near a survey mark to show people where the mark is.)

If you go to the geocaching.com benchmark page, there is a link to their gallery, but it is just a collection of changing photos and does not have explanations.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

Paul -

DustyJacket's page is an good place to look for information of what the various benchmarks and paraphenalia look like. There have been many questions similar to yours asked by others and DustyJacket has collected many good examples.

To answer your question about what a witness post is: they are secondary markers that are set near a benchmark to help locate and identify that particular benchmark. Witness posts are most commonly fiberglass posts, wood posts, or small metal signs. They can also be other things such as a pile of rocks. (Although rock piles don't last as long as the other things.)

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

Oh man thanks for that. The pics and descriptions are very very helpful. This page is getting bookmarked. Actually I will likely end up printing it out with the bigger version of the pictures so I can carry around with me. It will also be great to use to explain to people who don't know about this at all. Oh yea like I know so much (I only happen to know they exist). Thanks.

I have a copy of phrases I can't quite come to grips with.

1.THE SITE LOCATION WAS REPORTED AS SUITABLE FOR SATELLITE OBSERVATIONS

Satllite, like from space. or stallite as in using it as a reference for other sites or locations?

2. Station is Inter-Visible with Station...

Meaning it can be seen from the Station?

EMike

1. Suitable for "satellite observations" means GPS. Why they never called it GPS is beyon me but early on (1992)in GPS the called the satellites "Space Vehicles" too. Its there to let surveyors or anyone else know that the site has clear vision to the sky from 15° above horizon with minimal blockage. When you search the NGS database you can limit your search to only sites suitable for satellite observations

In order to get the best possible solution in GPS surveying you need to see as many sat's as possible.

2. Intervisible means you can see from one place to another place from the ground and vice-versa.

quote:
Originally posted by DustyJacket:

Here is a link to the conversation:

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=5116058331&m=14760651

Here is a link to my web page:

http://www.dustyjacket.com/benchmarks.html

DustyJacket

Thanks -- that's a helpful page, but still doesn't answer my question (which I tried to post various times, but never appeared here!). Let's see if this one takes...

I'm new to benchmarking, but I'm an addicted geocacher. While searching for a cache, I came across a cement square (WAY up on a ridge, mind you), with a disk set into the top. No engravings at all, aside from a + marking center. What did I find??

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"