GPS waypoints incorrect, why?

tc2880

Hi all. I am getting frustrated with my GPS as it tracks the route i walk perfect and takes me to caches brilliantly but when i take waypoints to place my own caches they always seem to be way out. This is a consistent error. Have a set something wrong on my gps? It is an etrex H. Help please <_<

Define 'way out'??

Set it to WGS84 for the datum and Decimal Minutes for the coordinate Format.

Let the unit sit on the spot for a good 5 minutes before you take a reading. Walk away and re-approach the area from a different location 4 or 5 times. Average those readings. Then plug that reading into your unit and see if it leads you to within 15 or so feet of the cache. If so - close enough.

Taking readings of your own hides may take a bit of experimenting.

Try walking away and returning, and take a reading when you arrive.

Do that a couple of times.

I usually have to take three or four readings before I get one that seems close enough.

The tall buildings and hills seem to cause a bit of an error.

If you get within 30 feet or so, the unit is probably working correctly.

I like to try out my readings by using them to approach the cache (simulated search).

Hi all. I am getting frustrated with my GPS as it tracks the route i walk perfect and takes me to caches brilliantly but when i take waypoints to place my own caches they always seem to be way out. This is a consistent error. Have a set something wrong on my gps? It is an etrex H. Help please <_<

Hi.

There is plenty of advice from local cachers on the Yorkshire Geocaching web site if you search the forums.

Your allotment cache is now spot on to within 2 metres so I would suggest you’re sorted.

Regards

Explorer Scout (Chris)