Benchmarks in GC database that DON'T appear in a 'search'

gnbrotz

Today I hunted a benchmark that was not included in the bulk download of the area around my home. I just assumed that it wasn't included in the GC database.

After recovering it, I was able to use it's designation to get it's PID from the USGS site. When I pulled up the datasheet, I saw that the USGS was unable to find it in 1990. I didn't use my GPS or even a compass to find this one, only a paper quad of the area. Since the USGS couldn't find it, I went ahead and submitted an official recovery form.

Now that I have the PID, I entered it into the GC search box, just for fun, and up pops the page for that mark!?! I did a 'search' again, this time using my zip code instead of my home coords; and once again, it doesn't come up on the list. the mark in question is JV2023.

How many others am I missing??

Jeremy....?

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

An often mentioned situation. Jeremy, in his wisdom, exludes from a search any marker that is destroyed or not found. This includes any with a not found report even if it has a subsequent found report. As you found out, these can be found in GC by a PID search. Destroyed markers are left out of the database entirely (I think) and can not be pulled up by a PID search. Then, there are a few that don't show up in a GC search but I don't know why. But, these are few and far between. If you want a comprehensive list, go to NGS to do a search and then compare it to the GC search. Or, when you find one, use NGS to find it's PID as you did.

quote:
Originally posted by gnbrotz:

Does anyone know a way to extract data from the NGS site and convert/import it to an ExpertGPS or CSV file?

Who needs a CSV when you got a mainframe??

I figured out how to get the initial result page from a NGS search into Excel. Do a "edit->select all", then "edit->copy" then paste it into Excel. Then create formulas to extract the data from the awful mess that you get. The main technique is =find("|",$a$4,xx) where $a$4 is the cell where the data is and xx is the previous location of a "|". Then use =mid($a$4,xx,yy-xx) to extract the piece of data where yy is the newest location of a "|". If you can't manage it, email me privately and I can send you the template. But, I will be on vacation for a week, so you will have to wait until I get back to get it.

As for getting actual datasheets, I've been getting 100-150 at a time, using the same technique (select all, copy, paste) to save the results on the mainframe then wrote an extract program to get a summary of one line per benchmark with the info I wanted. It is time consuming but very useful.

quote:

Does anyone know a way to extract data from the NGS site and convert/import it to an ExpertGPS or CSV file?

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

Get the PID off of the NGS site and enter it in the Geocaching.com Benchmark site and you should get the Data sheet and the (Download to EasyGPS) option. icon_smile.gif

Have fun!

~Honest Value Never Fails~

quote:

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

Get the PID off of the NGS site and enter it in the Geocaching.com Benchmark site and you should get the Data sheet and the (Download to EasyGPS) option. icon_smile.gif

Have fun!

~Honest Value Never Fails~

quote:
Originally posted by Dawgies:

The list I have from the GC site is about 1000 waypoints. I'm assuming the additional ones from USGS will number in the hundreds. I'm looking for a way to do this in bulk. I can merge the two files and discard the duplicates using GeoBuddy, but I need an efficient way to 'grab' the set from USGS.

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

quote:
Originally posted by Dawgies:

The list I have from the GC site is about 1000 waypoints. I'm assuming the additional ones from USGS will number in the hundreds. I'm looking for a way to do this in bulk. I can merge the two files and discard the duplicates using GeoBuddy, but I need an efficient way to 'grab' the set from USGS.

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

Wow, all this data grabbing! Around here, since 1970, so many highways have been re-built, huge suburban areas grown out of empty woods, and old buildings torn down and replaced, one has to read each PID very carefully, and perhaps plot on a satellite map before even considering looking for a benchmark there. Most of them are gone. So I never have slurped any waypoints into my gps via cable. Instead, I print out the PIDs I select, or even write the particulars on a 3x5 card, enter the first PID's coords in the gps and go.

My usual method of getting a collection of PIDs to check is to first find one with a proximity search from my house or some errand destination, and when I have one, do a proximity search on it for getting some more. No reason to get 10 miles' radius worth at that time - 8 or 10 benchmarks to hunt will be enough for me. I still read each PID and select among them before going out.

The rich, if not famous, pop $50 and get the CD icon_wink.gif.

The rest of us do the following at the NGS site:

1. Do the search.

2. Select all the interesting PIDs

3. Push the 'Move' button

4. Edit:Select All

5. Edit:Copy

Then move over to Excel and do this...

1. Paste into $A$1

2. Select column A

3. Data:Text to Columns...

4. Follow the instruction on the Wizard, being sure to indicate the | as the delimiter.

5. Save as CSV

hope that helps...

M&M

quote:

Originally posted by infosponge:

I'm pretty sure that GeoBuddy does that...

If you save the datasheet(s) desired as a text file, then open the file with GeoBuddy, it will create a file that you can save as a .loc file.

I still have one small problem though: I want to merge this file from the USGS with another .loc file. When I try to open the existing .loc file I get an error message that says 'Unknown tag: 9'. This doesn't happen with all of my .loc files, only some; and unfortunately, one I want to use in this instance.

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

Looks like Jeremy & associates fixed the problem. The radial search now has the option to display ALL benchmarks in the database.

The search result page now includes a hyperlink with the text "See all benchmarks for this query" at the top next to the parameters used for the search. If you click it, it submits the same query with the "&all=y" that Web-ling mentioned. This result has a small skull and the text "Indicates this benchmark has been reported missing." Then, as you go down the list, you can see which benchmarks have been reported missing to the NGS. Note that this does not mean they were reported missing in geocaching, they will still show up in the regular search. Also, benchmarks that have been reported as destroyed to the NGS will not show up at all since those datasheets were dropped at the time the geocaching database was created.

So, Jeremey has been busy, trying his best to keep the demanding benchmarking crowd happy. Thanks Jeremey!