Apology: Weekend Pocket Query Issues

Jeremy

new feature

New features generally don't please or work for everyone . We can't anticipate everyone's workflow or offline databases filtering needs either.

-Raine

In the past 3 hours, there has been close to 30 new caches published within 80km (50 mi) of my home coordinates.

I don't care if I have to go to the post office to pick up my PQ's, :D , I am just thrilled that I can get 1000 in a single PQ.

Thanks Raine.

new feature

New features generally don't please or work for everyone . We can't anticipate everyone's workflow or offline databases filtering needs either.

-Raine

I can appreciate that Raine.

--

Actually, what would prolly shut me up would be a nice set of Pocket Queries to filter on the bazillion challenge caches popping up around here that make me wade through my closest 10,000 caches to find a specific combination of caches that I found after May 1 but before June 10, on thursdays after 3pm but having to have a difficulty and terrain combination on specific cache types with owners that begin with the letter Q, and the caches have to be found in alphabetical order, while carrying a canoe, a jetpack and two reviewers on each shoulder......

GSAK + Macros are a life saver for this stuff.

They won't show up on the "Download" tab until they are actually generated...
Tried to sneak that one in. :D I know what this would be if *I* were developing this. I'll wait for May 3 to see exactly how this plays out.

I wonder if the announcement of the roll out will be sent to all premium member, or to all e-mail addresses listed in the "send this PQ to this address" field, or a combination of both.

Technically, a bunch of PQs loaded on my Colorado is an "offline database" (no, I do not want an iPhone!). My main GSAK workflow is really to aggregate the latest PQs for a load onto my GPS after applying puzzle solved coordinates.

Like northernpenguin said, the only real need for an offline database is to hunt down prerequisites for Challenge caches. The 500 mile limit on a PQ makes that difficult to do on site and the site's search feature is pretty much useless.

They won't show up on the "Download" tab until they are actually generated...
Tried to sneak that one in. :D I know what this would be if *I* were developing this. I'll wait for May 3 to see exactly how this plays out.

Calling dibs on markwelling Markwell (how often does that opportunity come along):

Markwell, note that the roll-out for this has been pushed from May 3 to today or tomorrow:

We're on target to increase PQ limits to 1000 by this weekend. The increase is attended by the ability to download PQs directly from the site.

(...unless, of course, I missed the memo that delays the roll-out)

Well, who kno0ws, the update may be happening as I type this (GC.com is down for maintenance).

I think the best thing to do is take a "wait and see" attitude.

I love the idea of having PQ's that are twice the current size. Yes, downloading them will be "different", but that's life. Right now, I get home from work, and my PQ's are there in my inbox. If I have to download them, that's maybe an extra minute or two added to my day. For me, that's not a big issue.

I'm pretty much sure that GSAK will adapt to the new way of doing things. You can save the downloads to a specific file on your computer, GSAK can be set to go to that file when you load the new info, it's proabbly not that hard for someone to come up with a macro that, when you start GSAK, it looks at that folder, and if there are any PQ's or GPX files present, it loads them in.

My thanks to the Groundspeak staff for all their hard work on this issue!

To avoid issues with emailing large attachments, PQs from 501-1000 caches will be available for download only

That's a rather important detail to reveal at the eleventh hour. Pretty much makes it useless for my current workflow. :D

Easy solution is do nothing and all is the same for you or use the noggin the good Lord gave you and come up with a new work flow. I am, and I am excited about the new possibilities.!

Gee Markwell, can't tell you're trying slam me or not..

Not slamming. Just a last minute thought. I know how "weekends" tend to go with roll-outs, so I'm pleasantly surprised to see it going on now.

As far as the comments about the design. I've mentioned problems for a few years in the design. I'm ECSTATIC that it's being looked at. And seriously, I know how *I* would design it.

As far as the e-mails, it was an extension of the way this thread has gone: people have a work-flow and most likely there are a few people that have separate addresses set up specifically for PQs. I was wondering if the increase in PQ availability would be announced only through weekly mailers and the forum, or if it would be e-mailed to main addresses on accounts that have PQs, or also some type of notification e-mailed to the main accounts, plus any accounts that are designated to received PQs (from the PQ form).

what happens when everyone gets on the GC.com and downloads all of these "massive" PQ all at once?

Bandwidth has never really been an issue, so you downloading a file that has already been generated isn't really going to show up on the radar.

-Raine

I thought that same thought. The issue is CPU time and RAM usage, just as it is on all internet servers. Just need some MONSTER servers - some of the newer CPU's coming look like an answer!

Easy solution is do nothing and all is the same for you or use the noggin the good Lord gave you and come up with a new work flow. I am, and I am excited about the new possibilities.!

No, all is not the same. The cache publish rate is increasing. I need to use more and more PQs to get the same area coverage.

If they allow auto downloads then yes, I can modify my work flow.

Well, who kno0ws, the update may be happening as I type this (GC.com is down for maintenance).

I think the best thing to do is take a "wait and see" attitude.

I love the idea of having PQ's that are twice the current size. Yes, downloading them will be "different", but that's life. Right now, I get home from work, and my PQ's are there in my inbox. If I have to download them, that's maybe an extra minute or two added to my day. For me, that's not a big issue.

I'm pretty much sure that GSAK will adapt to the new way of doing things. You can save the downloads to a specific file on your computer, GSAK can be set to go to that file when you load the new info, it's proabbly not that hard for someone to come up with a macro that, when you start GSAK, it looks at that folder, and if there are any PQ's or GPX files present, it loads them in.

GSAK already does that. I use it for individual GPX files I grab from a cache page. But that's not the issue.

Right now I click one button that grabs my PQs and walk away. If we're not allowed to auto download the new PQs then it will be dozens of mouse clicks and a couple of log in/log outs and I have to be there the whole time. Bleh!

Actually, if you change nothing about the way you consume PQs you will not be affected either. It is only if you opt for the larger 501-1000 cache PQs.

Except for My Finds. They're no longer Emailed.

:D

E-mail is one of the worst way to deliver binary files - I for one an very glad files are now available via download. It is not hard at all to DL the files manually. Yes, I have multiple PM accounts too! Get you a password programs - makes logging in and out a snap.

As long as we are making requests for things to be easy....

Can Raine just take the corporate jet to bring my PQ over and then load it up to my GPS? That would be great.

:D

yeeesh!! - seems more important to have the ability to get the data then to worry about how it gets there.

Better yet, maybe he can come and lead me to the caches themselves?

I'm totally amazed by this discussion. People are mad because they can't instantly, and automatically replicate Groundspeak's database, at twice the rate that they could yesterday? to do so, they have to click the mouse a few times.

I'm with Markwell here, we got exactly what we asked for. I for one am happy, and greatfull. Probably ten percent of the new messages on this forum are people complaining about email problems with PQ. The fact that I can go back and download any PQ that I have run, for up to seven days is a breakthrough for Groundspeak. I thank everyone that has been involved with this.

We'll also be able to tell when a person doesn't download a PQ that they generated, so we can selectivity turn them off and get PQ's out the door even faster to people who do use them! (really excited exclamation mark)

-Raine

Okay, so we keep our PQs of a size so they can be emailed to us and if we don't download them from the site they get turned off?

Not making any sense.

We'll also be able to tell when a person doesn't download a PQ that they generated, so we can selectivity turn them off and get PQ's out the door even faster to people who do use them! (really excited exclamation mark)

-Raine

Okay, so we keep our PQs of a size so they can be emailed to us and if we don't download them from the site they get turned off?

Not making any sense.

I'm sure that is not what is going to happen. There are some things here that don't make sense...but that would make so little sense as to be unimaginable.

(Raine hasn't said that even for the 501+ PQs that they WILL turn them off if not downloaded...just that he looks forward to doing that in the future.)

E-mail is one of the worst way to deliver binary files

Agreed. But I'd rather use a worse automatic way than a better manual way.

Yes, I have multiple PM accounts too! Get you a password programs - makes logging in and out a snap.

Except that it logs me out of every other machine/device I use to access the account. No thanks.

People are mad because they can't instantly, and automatically replicate Groundspeak's database, at twice the rate that they could yesterday? to do so, they have to click the mouse a few times.

Come back here with that argument once use stop using PQs and download each GPX of the cache pages individually. Until then you're just being a hypocrite.