New 'Caches in a Day' Record Imminent?

If you read any of the threads that discuss these record breaking attempts, you will note that splitting up your group to search for multiple caches at the same time is pretty much never happens. All of the recent 'record breaking' runs kept the group together.

All I am able to read is the online logs, which were obviously posted individually, not as a group. I have found no such evidence in the threads you describe, which indicates the group was not divided, or if cache logs were signed individually, or with the "team" name. With regards to my previous posts questioning how they were doing it, perhaps you could direct me to one of the threads that clarifies it in the fashion you describe??

Edited by NeecesandNephews
I've found caches magnetically attatched (or is that "attracted") to power line towers.

I read the sign on the tower that said "Do NOT climb" "DANGER". And yet there was a clear attempt to clear brush all the way to the edge of the legs of the tower.

I don't think power companies would care about a magnetic cache attached to an electrical tower. There may be a few individuals who would try to make it an issue and power companies might make a statement to appease the whiners but I doubt the power company itself really cares, as a whole.

I've seen two of them archived by our reviewer once he got wind of where they were hidden. I believe they are considered potential terrorist targets.

While we can't climb on or attach anything to the power line towers hunters in Alabama are invited by the power company to use their right--of-way for hunting grounds. In fact just about every power line in the state has tripod or tree stands along it with cultivated green fields planted between the towers.

In fact the power company has a program to financially support such activities on their power lines.

I can't see them having a problem with caches of any size placed beneath, or magnetic caches attached to them so long as no one has to climb on the tower.

The bomb scare thing is IMHO an urban phenomenon.

City folk. Meh. :D:(

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
I've found caches magnetically attatched (or is that "attracted") to power line towers.

I read the sign on the tower that said "Do NOT climb" "DANGER". And yet there was a clear attempt to clear brush all the way to the edge of the legs of the tower.

I don't think power companies would care about a magnetic cache attached to an electrical tower. There may be a few individuals who would try to make it an issue and power companies might make a statement to appease the whiners but I doubt the power company itself really cares, as a whole.

I've seen two of them archived by our reviewer once he got wind of where they were hidden. I believe they are considered potential terrorist targets.

I'm sure it goes without being said that some reviewers are a little more strict than others.

I'm sure it goes without being said that some reviewers are a little more strict than others.

There's that, and the fact that Reviewers have a bit of discretion, and no two always interpret the guidelines the same way, or apply them the same in every case, but the biggest reason for this is what you might call 'don't ask, don't tell' where a Reviewer can look at a cache listing on Google Earth or other tools (or choose not to look!), see (or surmise) that it's on a tower in a power line, and choose to let it go. He or she may be cool with that... right up till someone complains and brings it to their attention. Then they have little choice but to strictly apply the Guidelines.

Geocachers know this, and bringing permission for power tower magnetic caches into this discussion is just a way for someone to get their way and have them archived.

If you read any of the threads that discuss these record breaking attempts, you will note that splitting up your group to search for multiple caches at the same time is pretty much never happens. All of the recent 'record breaking' runs kept the group together.

All I am able to read is the online logs, which were obviously posted individually, not as a group. I have found no such evidence in the threads you describe, which indicates the group was not divided, or if cache logs were signed individually, or with the "team" name. With regards to my previous posts questioning how they were doing it, perhaps you could direct me to one of the threads that clarifies it in the fashion you describe??

try this blog from EMC on the 413 cache run

i received a very nice message from one of the team members that found 436 of the caches. here is his note:

>>We averaged about 20//hour ... 1 hour sleep along the way.

We were getting some cache signed in only 20 seconds since you

could park within 1 foot of the cache. Most all the caches were

Altoids on a metal power pole. There were a few that could be reached

FROM THE CAR and you did not even need to get out of the car....

There was one section that we nearly did 40 in an hour....

We HEARD that someone else did nearly 500 of them a day after we did.

I know another family (mom, dad and 2 young kids) that did over 250 in 12 hours.

Two guys went out on Monday and got over 150 FTF's in about 8 hours.

It's was a lot of work and planning. We had Google maps to help us anticipate the

path to each of the caches. The hardest part was the FEW caches on trails where the

U-turns took 20 steps to complete.

If someone wanted to REALLY kill these, if they take a dirt dike or one of those

Mule/side by sides ATV's and I'll bet they can do all 600 in less than 24 hours.....<<

rsg

Thanks vagabond, that was some interesting reading!! And thank you RSG for the updates and info!!!

Oh....you mean the time the Ventura Kids and Fotomom let EMC ride along while they found 413 caches in one day.....that time?

i received a very nice message from one of the team members that found 436 of the caches. here is his note:

I know another family (mom, dad and 2 young kids) that did over 250 in 12 hours.

It's was a lot of work and planning. We had Google maps to help us anticipate the

path to each of the caches. The hardest part was the FEW caches on trails where the

If someone wanted to REALLY kill these, if they take a dirt dike or one of those

Mule/side by sides ATV's and I'll bet they can do all 600 in less than 24 hours.....<<

rsg

Having spent all day Saturday doing 464 caches along his trail, I have a few observations.

Don't do this from May to October. You will end up on the lower end of Death Valley, and the temps will get 130 on the desert floor.

Parts of this road are 60 MPH, and parts are crawl and look out for rocks. You cane walk to the steep ones if you don't have clearance, but it sure makes it quicker and easier with 4X4 and clearance.

The vehicle is not as important as good tires. Those desert rocks can tear marginal tires out.

Take much more water than you think you will need. This desert will suck it out of you, even in March. Take enough food to keep you going.

It was routine at times, but then you would find a "Nevada Nano". You'll have to see those. Mostly it was actually fun. There were six of us and we were actually smiling most of the time. We started in Primm and ended at the Death Valley road. About 10 to 11 hours all together. It almost took me almost as long to log them as to find them. No blackberry coverage out here, and very little cell phone either. Take all the usually precautions on this one. And if you go in May, watch for the rattlers!

rsg

Having spent all day Saturday doing 464 caches along his trail, I have a few observations.

Don't do this from May to October. You will end up on the lower end of Death Valley, and the temps will get 130 on the desert floor.

Parts of this road are 60 MPH, and parts are crawl and look out for rocks. You cane walk to the steep ones if you don't have clearance, but it sure makes it quicker and easier with 4X4 and clearance.

The vehicle is not as important as good tires. Those desert rocks can tear marginal tires out.

Take much more water than you think you will need. This desert will suck it out of you, even in March. Take enough food to keep you going.

It was routine at times, but then you would find a "Nevada Nano". You'll have to see those. Mostly it was actually fun. There were six of us and we were actually smiling most of the time. We started in Primm and ended at the Death Valley road. About 10 to 11 hours all together. It almost took me almost as long to log them as to find them. No blackberry coverage out here, and very little cell phone either. Take all the usually precautions on this one. And if you go in May, watch for the rattlers!

At some point you might as well just say ya found a million in a minute. The math is getting quite difficult with 464 finds in only 660 minutes. I'm glad I wasn't in your way up there...lol.

Please post your track map and a couple blog postings showing the time of your 100, 200, 300...etc...milestone finds. Did you put those tiny logsheets back in the baggies?

My issue.... is that everyone is splitting the run up by crossing days....yet they are piling all the finds into one day when they log them on-line. So....in the spirit of competition, I will be piling up all my finds this next month into one day..... ...I'm expecting to set a new record....of sorts :wub:

no.

I take issue with you saying you found "413 caches in ONE day without cheating"

Did YOU really find all those? or did a group?

If YOU found all of them yourself I am sorry. Good job. If a group did... then you are lying. Simple as that.

Easy now.... attack the process, not the person.

I don't want to get a time out again.

:wub:

Indeed. Nor do I. Perhaps you should change your sig line though.... it does say "I"

And don't get me wrong... what your group did was impressive.. but... there is no real "world record" for Geocaching.

I think the record will be maxed out when we get a nice straight line of point one caches....like in Denmark, but longer.

I'm guessing someone could sustain 30 finds per hour with the right group.

So, the record will be around 700 finds in 24 hours.... I mean if there was a record....but I know there is not. :wub:

I think the record will be maxed out when we get a nice straight line of point one caches....like in Denmark, but longer.

I'm guessing someone could sustain 30 finds per hour with the right group.

So, the record will be around 700 finds in 24 hours.... I mean if there was a record....but I know there is not. :wub:

That's why I was thinking that maybe the new records will be measured differently, like the time to reach 500 rather than how many in 24 hours.

Since the first "daily record" announced several years ago with 240 caches, the gauntlet was thrown down. Rules? Whether it be two people per vehicle or 4 people per vehicle? Does everyone get out? Multiple vehicles, stamps, group names vs individuals? Your call, we aren't here to be policemen.

It would be cool to see track logs pictures poted with times, stop points for meals or campfire breaks. That would be really cool.

It would help if details were posted about how many people, how many vehicles, were stamps used, group names, did everyone visit every cache, etc. But... that is up to you. We did as few spot checks on loigs the other day and things seemed reasonable. heck, we even placed a 4 hour multi-cache in the area if someone needs a break in the day (no team names on this one please - please only log it if you do the whole thing).

The idea behind the Trail of the Gods is for individuals to test their personal stamina and endurance. We just want folks to enjoy themselves.

:wub:

Indeed. Nor do I. Perhaps you should change your sig line though.... it does say "I"

And don't get me wrong... what your group did was impressive.. but... there is no real "world record" for Geocaching.

If I go caching with a couple of friends, and we found 20 caches together, I will say that I found 20 caches that day, even if my caching partner was the one to spot them part of the time. Now, if my friend takes one cache and I take another.... that would be cheating in my books. But if we're there together, we sign for both, and we both claim the find. I don't personally know of any cachers that do not work this way.

Besides, if you really want to question Ventura Kid's claims, well... there's a thread for that. A pretty long thread, as I recall.

:anibad:

If I go caching with a couple of friends, and we found 20 caches together, I will say that I found 20 caches that day, even if my caching partner was the one to spot them part of the time. Now, if my friend takes one cache and I take another.... that would be cheating in my books. But if we're there together, we sign for both, and we both claim the find. I don't personally know of any cachers that do not work this way.

Besides, if you really want to question Ventura Kid's claims, well... there's a thread for that. A pretty long thread, as I recall.

But that is not the same thing at all. You aren't claiming a "record" but you are correct, This is not the place to debate this.

(is that thread even still alive?)

As far as the not-a-record world record it's pretty straight-forward - whoever finds the most caches in a 24-hour period is recognized as the not-a-record world record holder.

No need to handicap or qualify that... let's keep it simple!

As to the 'accepted rules' they're pretty simple too, and exhaustively debated elsewhere, but essentially a cacher or group of cachers staying together who finds the most caches in a 24-hour period.

KISS! :anibad:

:anibad:

But that is not the same thing at all. You aren't claiming a "record" but you are correct, This is not the place to debate this.

(is that thread even still alive?)

It should be 3 or 4 pages down

As far as the not-a-record world record it's pretty straight-forward - whoever finds the most caches in a 24-hour period is recognized as the not-a-record world record holder.

As to the 'accepted rules' they're pretty simple too, and exhaustively debated elsewhere, but essentially a cacher or group of cachers staying together who finds the most caches in a 24-hour period.

KISS! :lol:

The not a world record has always been "in ONE DAY". B)

Not in 24 hours..... it's in a day.

One day.... One 24 hour day.... Not in 2 different days. Midnight to midnight.

You may have noticed that all the 'new' personal record holders are not claiming to have broken the "most caches in a day" record. They are all claiming a "personal" record of most caches in 24 hours. However.... they all took breaks, and combined their caches into ONE day on the geocaching web site.

Being the Number One NON-cheating cacher in the entire world, I could not bring myself to combine my finds from two different days. If I started my run on Thursday....all the caches I found up to Midnight would be recorded on Thursday. If I continued my run into Friday...all the caches I found on Friday would be logged as found on Friday.

That just plainly simply makes sense (KISS).

....and YES... it does make a BIG difference. :D

KISS! :lol:

The not a world record has always been "in ONE DAY". B)

You may have noticed that all the 'new' personal record holders are not claiming to have broken the "most caches in a day" record. They are all claiming a "personal" record of most caches in 24 hours. However.... they all took breaks, and combined their caches into ONE day on the geocaching web site.

Being the Number One NON-cheating cacher in the entire world, I could not bring myself to combine my finds from two different days. If I started my run on Thursday....all the caches I found up to Midnight would be recorded on Thursday. If I continued my run into Friday...all the caches I found on Friday would be logged as found on Friday.

Where is that pill bottle?

KISS! :P

The not a world record has always been "in ONE DAY". :lol:

Sounds like sour grapes and nitpicking to me.

All the rest of us who held or attempted to hold the not-a-record world record for Most Caches In 24 Hours (which is what it has always been called) graciously congratulated and passed the torch to the next cachers who found one more in 24 hours than we had.

Congratulations on your X-number of caches in a midnight-to-midnight day personal record but that's not the same thing as the not-a-record world record for Caches Found In 24-hours. Besides it being surpassed. B)

Oh, and I wasn't sending you a kiss... KISS is the acronym developed by IBM in the sixties to remind employees to "Keep It Simple, Stupid!" :lol:

And on your claim to "Being the Number One NON-cheating cacher in the entire world" several previous not-a-record world record holders would have good cause to dispute that. You're just the latest (well, you were, before these folks found more), and certainly not the only honest (non-cheating) one.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Go out, find a cache, and have some fun.

OMG, how ironic, there must be 500 posts in this thread! As many posts as caches on the ground.

Figured there'd be hubbub about the jeep power trail. Now I'm not a forum guy, just a boots on the ground cacher. I've hiked over a 13,000 foot Sierra pass 3 times (at 400 miles from home) to get a 5 year unfound cache for FTF, GCADCB http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...2d-6fcc6d055035 and another 3 trips 400 miles from home to the remotest mining district in California, to get a belated STF, GCDE7F http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...70-557b4a5bdbc1 . Got trapped by snow, Donner Party style on the last one. Both adventures shared with Ranboze.

Have also power cached with Alamogul, EMC, the VK, dgreno, and DT21&FW.

So here's a boots on the ground report on TOTG. Strike while it's hot, the Geocachers of the Bay Area crew was mpj303, geoides, & bthomas. We packed up 1 vehicle (no leapfrog), and departed on the 8 hour drive from NorCal to SoCal. We started right away in the dark around midnight, and cached away as the Big Dipper spun around and the Sun later leaped across the sky. On the horizon, snow capped the top of Mt Charleston near Vegas and Telescope Peak above Death Valley. The desert was pretty in that raw desert way.

We cached 34/hr when the road was Subaru-able with quick pull throughs, and 10/hr when the road was a low-intermediate jeep track or when we climbed some knoll or arroyo. We exited once to gas (at the World's Tallest Thermometer virt). Geoides had aerial photos loaded on his PN-40, and that cued us on access in the maze of jeep roads, service roads, motorcycle trails, and burro tracks. We came to the 400 milestone in the 23rd hour, on the cold, wind swepted 5000 foot pass west of Primm. It was a great team and we had so much geo-fun.

Ended with 402 or 403 and opted for a 23 hour record. We arrived the day Orange County PC's wrapped 436, and we also came across Coach Steve's 464 group. When his Utah group had 350 caches from east, to our 300 from west, we knew we should've started at the easier end instead of skipping it.

As mjp303 wrote on the GBA forum, "Power caching is more about time management, teamwork, and endurance, plus being able to make good decisions consistently when you're mentally and physically tired. It's one of the many 'variations' of geocaching, and that makes the game fresh and interesting for me."

edit: flopped east and west

Edited by bthomas

Go out, find a cache, and have some fun.

OMG, how ironic, there must be 500 posts in this thread! As many posts as caches on the ground.

Figured there'd be hubbub about the jeep power trail. Now I'm not a forum guy, just a boots on the ground cacher. I've hiked over a 13,000 foot Sierra pass 3 times (at 400 miles from home) to get a 5 year unfound cache for FTF, GCADCB http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...2d-6fcc6d055035 and another 3 trips 400 miles from home to the remotest mining district in California, to get a belated STF, GCDE7F http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...70-557b4a5bdbc1 . Got trapped by snow, Donner Party style on the last one. Both adventures shared with Ranboze.

Have also power cached with Alamogul, EMC, the VK, dgreno, and DT21&FW.

So here's a boots on the ground report on TOTG. Strike while it's hot, the Geocachers of the Bay Area crew was mpj303, geoides, & bthomas. We packed up 1 vehicle (no leapfrog), and departed on the 8 hour drive from NorCal to SoCal. We started right away in the dark around midnight, and cached away as the Big Dipper spun around and the Sun later leaped across the sky. On the horizon, snow capped the top of Mt Charleston near Vegas and Telescope Peak above Death Valley. The desert was pretty in that raw desert way.

We cached 34/hr when the road was Subaru-able with quick pull throughs, and 10/hr when the road was a low-intermediate jeep track or when we climbed some knoll or arroyo. We exited once to gas (at the World's Tallest Thermometer virt). Geoides had aerial photos loaded on his PN-40, and that cued us on access in the maze of jeep roads, service roads, motorcycle trails, and burro tracks. We came to the 400 milestone in the 23rd hour, on the cold, wind swepted 5000 foot pass west of Primm. It was a great team and we had so much geo-fun.

Ended with 402 or 403 and opted for a 23 hour record. We arrived the day Orange County PC's wrapped 436, and we also came across Coach Steve's 464 group. When his Utah group had 350 caches eastbound, to our 300 westbound, we knew we should've started at the easier end instead of skipping it.

As mjp303 wrote on the GBA forum, "Power caching is more about time management, teamwork, and endurance, plus being able to make good decisions consistently when you're mentally and physically tired. It's one of the many 'variations' of geocaching, and that makes the game fresh and interesting for me."

Nice review of the power trail! I need to find some time to hit it.