What if I want to load THOUSANDS of caches?

I've been looking for a paperless GPSr but have been really turned off by the almost universal 1000 waypoint maximum. I'd really like to load 3,000-5,000 geocaches. I know I can do this by loading caches as POI's on some units, but which units can support OVER 1000 waypoints without having to load them as POI's?

I've been looking for a paperless GPSr but have been really turned off by the almost universal 1000 waypoint maximum. I'd really like to load 3,000-5,000 geocaches. I know I can do this by loading caches as POI's on some units, but which units can support OVER 1000 waypoints without having to load them as POI's?

Garmin 550t = 5000 geocaches. Now go get um all....

PN-30/40 series with FW 2.7 will allow you to save as many GPX files of 1,000 each as you have external memory for along with the map files you might have loaded.

REALLY?! I was leaning towards the pn-40 but was really disappointed with what I though was the 1000 cache limit. I'll have to look into this, thanks!

REALLY?!

YUP!

I was leaning towards the pn-40 but was really disappointed with what I though was the 1000 cache limit. I'll have to look into this, thanks!

Not much more to look into, actually.

For example, one of my GPX files has 330 caches and it takes about 1MB storage.

The 1000 cache limit, as TotemLake notes, applies to each individual GPX file.

Consequently, as a rough estimate, a GPX file with the max of 1000 caches would require about 3MB on an SD card.

Most of us run 16GB cards, so.............

My standard load on an Oregon 550 is around 3500. Can't see that I'm going to need more than that in any one day :D

REALLY?!

YUP!

I was leaning towards the pn-40 but was really disappointed with what I though was the 1000 cache limit. I'll have to look into this, thanks!

Not much more to look into, actually.

For example, one of my GPX files has 330 caches and it takes about 1MB storage.

The 1000 cache limit, as TotemLake notes, applies to each individual GPX file.

Consequently, as a rough estimate, a GPX file with the max of 1000 caches would require about 3MB on an SD card.

Most of us run 16GB cards, so.............

I have about 16000 caches on my PN-30s SD card, takes up about 100mbs.

My standard load on an Oregon 550 is around 3500. Can't see that I'm going to need more than that in any one day <_<

Some of us:

1) don't update every day

2) have all those caches in there "just in case :) "

Just got burned again yesterday afternoon on an "old" load. In this case, "old" was only a week ago. Turns out the reviewer allowed placement of a traditional within about 15' of the final for a multi. Found the multi. The traditional had already been moved and my coordinates (and logs, it's a Dakota 20) were just about a week out of date.

So while I don't update every day, either, I keep being reminded to run my PQs weekly. Thousands of caches loaded might have some interest if I have an unusual non-caching itinerary planned that's going to take me over a lot of ground (like a 2 week European cruise), but apart from that...

I have 20,000 caches, 8,000 benchmarks, and 100,000 other Waypoints I'm my garmin etrex Vista HCx and my Oregon. Any garmin compatible with their poi loader software will do this. If you have a nuvi, Oregon or Dakota, you can load the full cache page too. I use gsak to make the files for the poi loader.

I got 12000+ caches (including all Child waypoints and Hints) loaded on my Garmin GPS60CSx using GSAK and POI Loader. No problem for me. I use the option to load up to 1000 WP's onto the GPS when I go to visit a single destination.

...with descriptions spread across multiple POi's - no thanks.

You can load 4000 on any of the Lowrance Endura units and then swap in more GPX files off of a memory card. Much better than the Sceme for the PN's.

The Delorme PN series with the 2.7 firmware can do the same thing. I can load multiple GPX files on the SD card and switch out in the field. Granted 4000 would be nicer than 1000, but I moved from an Explorist which allowed 200!

Edited by jeffbouldin