Photos of Survey markers and Witness Posts

DustyJacket

For the historically inclined, their is an interesting story about the recent recovery and preservation of one of those original pre-1900 baselines, mentioned in the text on Dusty's page, this one being from 1848. Go to the POB magazine website, click on archives, type in "bodie island" in the search box, and the story will come up.

I just posted a witness post for AE8944, (have yet to find the marker itself though, will have to wait for some snow melt) I have also posted a couple of witness posts for ON0783. None of those are ledgible in the pictures though. At the same time they can give a sense of what to look for in the ditches and along the highways.

The page is getting a bit long.....

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to re-organize it. Perhaps into multiple pages.

Then again, if we have pretty much reached the end of the major varieties, maybe we are done.

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

Dusty - I'm new to this, found my first NGS marker today in fact, but your site is excellent. I have bookmarked it for future reference. Thanks!

Catcher24

"You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." Jim Bouton

I added british Marker and the currently popular orange Carsonite Witness Post.

Thanks for everyone sending the photos of more local governments' markers. Unfortunately, I've made the decision not to post each and every states' marker type (and cities' as well) unless it is unusual. Otherwise the page would get huge.

Maybe if I break my leg caching or benchmarking this summer, I'd have the time to redo the page, and move all local markers to a new page. I'll save those photos until I do that.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

This is almost certainly a cadstral marker, not a geodetic marker. Its very typical of those in Arizona. Remember, geodetic markers are nearly always set with a view toward extreme permanence and solidity, which would not be the case here, with this one sticking up so precariously.

I've seen a few like this in Arizona that were marked as traverse points. Each was marked that it was with the Township and Range it was in and one of a series of similar marks - i.e. 4 of 12. Each one was set in a similar fashion to the one you found, up about 12 inches and in a pile of rocks.

The marks I found were in the Virgin River Gorge between Mesquite Nevada and St. George Utah near some caches.

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

This one has troubled me some because it looks to me more like a sewer or maintenence access pipe with no real NGS markings on it, but based on the description and the fluerescent orange paint on it, I take it to be the marker in the description.

Am I just embarrassing myself here?

HT2261

34181_100.jpg

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

There are some rare early metal BMs in Utah, cross-marked copper bolts from 1880s-1890s (I have a picture of one for http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.asp?PID=LP0487 , this one is from 1887, the photo is not super but feel free to use it in lieu of anything better), and triangle-marked copper bolts with letter designations from 1890s (apparently none has been documented by geobenchmakers yet, one is thought to be destroyed, but a couple of them may still exist around Salt Lake)

Just sent you a couple pics of some Bearing Tree signs.

Found them this evening near a benchmark. I cannot find the BM in the database though, so I cannot log it.

Bearing Tree

Benchmark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

[This message was edited by Bilder on July 16, 2003 at 12:23 AM.]

Thanks for the clarification Elcamino.

That would explain why it is not in the database.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

That's a cool link Black Dog... thanks for posting it! The old paper mentions that witness posts/signs are available to anyone that is willing to place them. I wonder if that is still the case. I would gladly place them near marks that don't have them. DaveD, are these still available to those of us that are willing to install them?

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

I am curious to see DaveD's answer to your question about setting witness posts. One time I asked Deb Brown at NGS via e-mail if I could get some posts to set by control points I find. She replied that they do not do that because of the liability of having non-NGS personnel pounding posts into the ground and possibly damaging underground utilities.

Dusty I sent you a photo of QZ0572,,a different type of benchmark> I dont see it with your others, aren't you interested in this one? If you did not recieve it let me know I will resend it,,I think it is a nice one,,a benchmark that one can go and camp in. What could be better, benchmark hunting and camping out, in the benchmark!

Montana - I have been busy, so it has taken me this long to get several "donations" added to this we page, but I am done, now.

Many folks don't add their GeoCaching.com ID to the message, so I don't know which photo(s) or text are yours.

If anyone sees that I need to change a name to a user ID, just let me know.

I added a canal mark, a third type og pipe cap, a bearing tree, and mark "building" and more.

See:

DustyJacket

Some of the new pictures are HUGE when you click on the thumbnails, like the cloth mark/signal.

If people have problems loading them, please let me know and I'll shrink them down.

I have a cable modem, so it doesn't cause me problems....

Thanks.

And thanks to all of you that have donated pictures and explanations. this started out as a small page to show folks what a witness post looked like, and has really grown.

DustyJacket

I just added a really NEAT iron obilisk at the US-Canada border.

Funny, this web page started when I saw my first witness post, and realized that many of us had never seen them and were confused by all the references to them.

I think I may need to reorganize it as now the page is getting very long.

Keep those photos and text coming, please.

If they are something new, I;ll add them when I can.

DustyJacket

I was talking with a fellow cacher last Saturday and he told me of finding a sign for a witness tree. I specifically asked him about the wording and he said it actually said "witness tree" and was attached to a tree. I've never seen any mention of anything like that here so I thought I'd mention it. I asked for pictures but he didn't take any. It was down in Arkansas somewhere.

There used to help relocate the item. Usually ther are 3 or 4 to a benchmark or section etc. Not really used much anymore either. Most counties or other govt. entity will set other survey markers for "witness trees"

quote:
Originally posted by RogBarn:

I was talking with a fellow cacher last Saturday and he told me of finding a sign for a witness tree. I specifically asked him about the wording and he said it actually said "witness tree" and was attached to a tree. I've never seen any mention of anything like that here so I thought I'd mention it. I asked for pictures but he didn't take any. It was down in Arkansas somewhere.