Colorado 400t vs. Oregon 400t

discoveringterra

The biggest difference between the two is the CO has the "rock n roller" wheel and the OR is touchscreen. If you like using an iphone, I'd go with the OR. I own the CO and love it although like anything, it took a little practicing getting used to the feel of the wheel and navigating through the menus. I have never used a OR but I have seen videos on it and it seems a lot easier to use than the CO. Both units are waterproof but I'd imagine the OR screen getting pretty grimy after a few hours of hiking. Both come with the maps and the paperless caching feature which is the reason I bought the unit in the first place, it's great! You can do some searches for Garmin Colorado vs Oregon to get more info on the two.

I am running with the Colorado as well. I do admit that the rock n roller took a little to get use to and the touch screen on the Oregon is way simpler to use. The software in the 2 of them is virtually the same (there are slight differences). Like Maxwell said both are waterproof and paperless caching friendly. My one warning about the Oregon is to be cautious and not get any bug repellent on the screen. Well I guess that advice goes for the Colorado as well but as you will be constantly touching the screen on the Oregon more often you run more of a chance. Apparently the screens do not do well with bug juice. Then again I wouldn't let that be the sole reason for not buying it either. Both are great units.

I have the Colorado 400T. The deciding factor was that I expected my then-6-year-old to have a much easier time with the Colorado's wheel interface than the Oregon's touch screen. I was right -- my son got to try the Oregon on a trip with friends, and he was constantly bumping the screen, giving unintentional input.

As for others' comments re: insect repellent on the screen, I wouldn't think of dragging such an expensive piece of equipment through the woods without a good screen protector!