And the One Millionth cache is...

According to the front page, "There are 999,675 active geocaches around the world." - Obviously this goes up and down -more up than down- as caches are approved and archived but I wonder if 1,000,000's ever been hit before, and if not, which will be the 'official' 1,000,000th cache. Only 325 to go....

According to the front page, "There are 999,675 active geocaches around the world." - Obviously this goes up and down -more up than down- as caches are approved and archived but I wonder if 1,000,000's ever been hit before, and if not, which will be the 'official' 1,000,000th cache. Only 325 to go....

1,000,000 has been hit before, in that the one millionth GC code was created about a year ago and the one millionth published cache followed not too long afterwards.

There has never previously been a "number of currently active caches" in excess of 1,000,000. And given that that number is only updated once or twice every 24 hours, once we go over it, you'd need a remarkable world-wide conspiracy of reviewers, cachers, or both, to archive enough caches to get it below the magic million.

True geeks won't celebrate until the number hits 1,048,576, of course. :D

Edited by sTeamTraen

The One Millionth active geocache has been identified. It is GC24QG8 and is located in Vista, California. The identification determination was really quite sophisticated.

I don't know how they claimed to have done it, but unless it was Groundspeak themselves working through their database transaction logs, it sounds to me an impossible thing to do because it depends on the relative timings of events such as reviewer publication logs, archivals and even unarchivals.

You could even have more than one "millionth active cache", if a cache was archived after the figure was reached the first time ;) .

Rgds, Andy

Someone, somewhere must care. A little bit. Not me though. I'm rather too cool to be that geeky... :D

There is a simple answer to resolving it B) everyone who had a cache published on the day we crossed the 1,000 000 Active cache threshold. Has the right to say

"Well my cache might have been the I millionth Active cache, listed on Geocaching.com" :anicute:B)

So all of you stand up and take a bow B)

Deci

Someone, somewhere must care. A little bit. Not me though. I'm rather too cool to be that geeky... :D

There is a simple answer to resolving it B) everyone who had a cache published on the day we crossed the 1,000 000 Active cache threshold. Has the right to say

"Well my cache might have been the I millionth Active cache, listed on Geocaching.com" :anicute:B)

So all of you stand up and take a bow B)

Deci

And all the reviewers who published a cache on the on the MAY have published the 1,000,000 cache, and can say "I may have been the reviewer to publish that cache!"

Stand up, and take a bow!