What is the appeal of geocaching

I would be very interested in hearing from forum members about what they like about Geocaching and what got them started in the sport. Is it about finding stuff, using technology, being outdoors, or something else?

I got started in Geocaching because I stumbled across a geocahe by accident whilst out walking. I already had the GPS for hill-walking navigation and I am now hooked on Geocahing as a sport. The appeal for me is the combination of using technology , being outdoors and walking and , of course finding stuff.

GPS-John

Ive always had sort of an interest in finding hidden things. Also any type of navigating stuff has always caught my attention. I love being outdoors. When I heard about geocaching from one of my map and compass students, I did a little research tried it out and was hooked from there. Geocaching involves so many of the things I love, it was a no brainer. Plus getting to use my GPSr all the time for things that I wouldnt normally keeps my skills honed. If you dont use it you lose it.

We love being outdoors, gadgets and a challenge. It's perfect for us. Plus we have discovered so many cool places looking for caches. Just last weekend we hiked 3 miles through the mountains for a cache near a waterfall. It was absolutely beautiful, serene and unforgetable. We like the quick p&G's and urban caches too. There's a cache for every mood.

For me I had a bout of congestive heart failure, I almost died. I was so weak I could not walk across a parking lot. I used Geocaching as a way to rebuild my strength and take my mind off my problems. I got really depressed at the time. I allways feel better in the woods. I started slow and now my heart is almost back to normal, I just get out of breath on tough climbs. It really think it saved my life. :D

Edited by jbar

I heard about it from a friend who wanted to try it out.

I was at first intrigued by the amount of things hidden in the local woods preserve! It's an area I hung out in since childhood and it really blew my mind that there were so many hidden containers in such a small area (about a 2-mile north-south preserve on Long Island).

We started out without any GPSr and ended up buying our own after a month or so.

I use it as an excuse to get me the hell away from my computer and my old sedentary lifestyle!

Plus it's kind of exhilarating when you enter a high-muggle area that you need to use stealth in.

That's my take.

It sounded fascinating so thought I would try it. I registered several years ago, but did not start. Then my interest was piqued again and I started geocaching Stay with it as it gets me outdoors, a little exercises and has taken me to many wonderful places.

I like being outdoors and geocaching has given me a chance to explore the parks and preserves in my area. I don't really like living here, amid such overdeveloped pretentiousness, so I take every possible opportunity to get outdoors and enjoy the simple beauty of nature.

For me I had a bout of congestive heart failure, I almost died. I was so weak I could not walk across a parking lot. I used Geocaching as a way to rebuild my strength and take my mind off my problems. I got really depressed at the time. I allways feel better in the woods. I started slow and now my heart is almost back to normal, I just get out of breath on tough climbs. It really think it saved my life. :D

That's a great story jbar! I'm glad to hear your feeling better now too! Geocaching is life!

My Son and I stumbled onto a show on PBS about Geocaching.

We enjoy the technology for sure, but I love hanging out with my son.

The other thing I love about it is the the creativity of some of the Geocachers

That plant caches for all of us. I am amazed everytime I go out at how creative people are.

:D

Just started this stuff. I looked into it because someone made a little app for the n900 and I was curious about it.

Lo and Behold, it's something that's perfect for me! My job has me traveling all over the U.S. (even abroad sometimes), so I can hunt down caches everywhere I go.

El Paso, TX was first (found 7), next is Huntsville, AL - hope it stays fun.

My husband read or head something on caching and we decided to try it with our iPhones. Within a few caches we were hooked! The biggest draw was motivation to hike and get out of the house. Now we are hooked for so many reasons, the really interesting places it has brought us to, the great people we have met and something to do together!

I'd given up backpacking and camping when I started a family -- life was just too busy, and my one attempt at a Mt. Ranier hike with some friends and my then-toddler ended pretty disastrously. However, some years later an aunt and uncle of mine took up geocaching, and set up a GPS treasure hunt on their property for the kids to do during a family party.

My son caught the obsession, and I found myself buying a GPS just a few weeks later. For my son, it is a cool treasure-hunting adventure. For me, it's a chance to get back to hobbies I miss (hiking, backpacking, etc.) with a kid who enjoys walking for miles rather than a protesting, foot-dragging crab!

Originally, the appeal of geocaching was the idea of finding secret boxes that the public I did not know about. I was really curious about what I was missing and had to go find one. On my first day I found 1, but DNF'd a LPC. At the time, I had graduated college already and had a job and without homework and stuff I had free time and nothing to do with it so I played a lot of video games and "stuff".

Then going to events and being welcomed in to the geo-community was a huge part. Meeting great people (all of whom I consider friends) of all ages and backgrounds and feeling like a part of something was big for me.

Then the idea of expanding my sense of geography surrounding my house was a big draw. I'm a 2nd generation Arizonan, but I always only really knew the urban/Phoenix area. I had never hiked a day in my life before caching. Though I think I was always interested in the outdoors, the only outdoor activities I really experienced growing up was hunting and fishing and I think I shied away from them because I didn't like the idea that killing an animal was the ultimate goal. Now I hunt with my camera. I also take a lot of pride in being to say to people "yeah I know where that is", or "yeah I've been there before", or "yeah I hiked through there once", or "yeah I've seen a rattlesnake in the wild"! These accomplishments are far more noteworthy than my "accomplishments" playing video games and "stuff".

What keeps me involved, is the fact that I'm part of an awesome community of people where we interact and share our experiences and interests with eachother. And that geocaching is adventurous and completely unpredictable. I never know whats coming around the bend wether it be the next 2 days, 6 months, 5 years. Who knows? I guess the curiousness of wanting to see whats coming around the bend stems from the same curiousness I experienced when wanting to find my first cache.

I have tried introducing friends and family but a lot of them do not get it. I think the thing that hooked me was the excitment of my first find, that is what i really enjoyed. The outdoors, the exercise and meeting people are all bonuses but it is the I H'VE FOUND IT rush that did it for me which is why I think Geocaching can be so addictive which is not a good thing and I have to watch that issue.

Hi jbar,

Its good to hear that Geocaching has had such an impact on your life. Walking and getting outdoors makes me feel much better also. Someone once said that "I have two Doctors in life, my left leg and my right leg"

John

Edited by GPS-John

I/we like exploring via ATV, Truck, Kayak, Feet etc etc. This is just another motivation to "get out there". Plus I mentioned it to my wife after I was introduced to it on a ATV Club ride and she thought it sounded like fun. I took her out on the ATV's and she loved it. We thought we would do it mostly on the ATV's but actually do it more via truck as we like to bring the dogs along.

I would be very interested in hearing from forum members about what they like about Geocaching and what got them started in the sport. Is it about finding stuff, using technology, being outdoors, or something else?

I got started in Geocaching because I stumbled across a geocahe by accident whilst out walking. I already had the GPS for hill-walking navigation and I am now hooked on Geocahing as a sport. The appeal for me is the combination of using technology , being outdoors and walking and , of course finding stuff.

GPS-John

A friend of mine showed me geocaching while we were on a work trip together. It was something to do on the weekend.

I kept up caching because its a) gets me outside, <_< shows me interesting places I would have never seen, or even heard of if left to my own devices, and c) it also tickles my desire to explore new areas. I now use caching as a tour guide when I visit new areas. As an example: I am currently visiting Charleston for work. On Saturday we did the touristy things in the brochures, which was cool and I saw some interesting things (esp Market St. & horse drawn carriage tours) On Sunday I went caching, and found an amazing view of the harbour outside the city, and a very large confederate cemetery just north of the city (lots of old and intricate grave markers and really old trees). I never would have found the cemetery on my own, but it ended up being one of the most interesting aspects of my entire trip.

Edited by debaere

I first got into caching from Orienteering. It gave me a chance to practice some precise map navigation between Orienteering runs. Like Orienteering, caching gets me into areas I would otherwise never experience, and caches are available 24/7 but Orienteering events are usually only held once a week.

Thanks to all those who have responded so far....please keep them coming in as it is looking really interesting .

The Top 3 appealing reasons for going Geocaching are

No1. "It takes me to new and exciting places.

No2. " It gets me outdoors"

No3. " Meeting people"

I will publish a full breakdown when I get more responses ( hopefully ) in a week or so.

John

For me it is lots of things. I love getting outdoors, finding things, seeing new places, spending time with my family, I like the excitment my boys have when they open up a new cache, I like to travel, to get off the beaten path, we like to hide things for others, follow the logs, teach others, use technology, meet people - etc.....

I was just looking for a hobby that didn't involve more time in front of a computer. I'm an attorney, so most of my day is exactly that. But I also wanted something to get my four-year old outside as much as possible and start building in *him* a love of the outdoors. Now, I use big hikes to get some exercise for myself (and by myself), and shorter ones to go with my boy.

Someone had told me about Geocaching years ago. It sounded very cool to me and I signed up. I didn't have a GPS at that time and didn't have the means to buy one so I forgot all about it. Last summer a friend told me about it again. I had forgotten that I heard about it before and went to sign up and noticed that I already had an account.

So I borrowed a GPS to see if I was really going to enjoy this sport before I went out and purchased a unit.

I realized that I love this sport, for so many reasons. It gets me out for some much needed excersize. It gives me time to spend with my family doing something active.

I've always loved puzzles and to me even walking up to a Park and Grab still seems like I'm solving a puzzle.

I've told everyone I know about Geocaching. My Facebook status constatnly has something to say about geocaching. Pictures are everywhere. Scrapbook pages are full.

:PB)B) I'm not addicted, I just enjoy this so much I want to be doing it all the time. Did someone mention a support program? And is there a cache hidden there? <_<:):D

Edited by leejas72

My very smart and pretty wife (who doesn't cache anywhere near as much as I like to) says we like to do it so we can act like little boys and girls playing out in the woods all over again.

She's right; one of my favorite finds was placed in the woods I played in as a little boy. It was only a tupperware container filled with worthless stuff, placed less than 1000' from the highway, but all of those memories came rushing back as I held that container in my hands.

I also like the other stuff mentioned already-exploring, meeting likeminded people, discovering hidden 'treasures' and locations you might not already know about. But the ability to return to a simpler way of thinking for a few hours and leave all of the work and home responsibilities behind is a priceless feeling. I never achieved that feeling with golf or any other recreational activities before.

Sometimes, it's an excuse for a trip, whether that trip is a detour of a few miles on my bike ride to/from work, a hike of several miles through the woods, or a drive to somewhere off the beaten path.

Sometimes, it's about interesting places, whether those places are historic, scenic, or artistic. (I especially enjoy caches that draw attention to public art.)

Sometimes, it's about the challenge, whether the challenge is solving a puzzle, finding a well-camouflaged cache, or retrieving a cleverly placed container. (I especially enjoy on-site puzzles and caches with 4-star camouflage.)

And sometimes it's about companionship, although I don't make it to events, unevents, and group hikes very often...

My son and I both love the outdoors, and geocaching is another reason for us to be outside. We both love finding things that most people don't know about, going places and seeing things we otherwise wouldn't have. He also likes looking for swag in caches. I love the misadventures we have and the memories we're making. Case in point...the other day we were trying to grab an urban cache that was up in a high spot. We were in a delicate balance of me sort of standing on top of the car, being held up partially by a foot and partially by my son while I stretched as high as I could. All of a sudden, realization kicks in and he says in a disgusted voice, "Ugh...I'm holding a butt!! Hurry up!" We both got the giggles and almost fell down. I still laugh out loud when I think of it. <_<

My Son and I stumbled onto a show on PBS about Geocaching.

We enjoy the technology for sure, but I love hanging out with my son.

The other thing I love about it is the the creativity of some of the Geocachers

That plant caches for all of us. I am amazed everytime I go out at how creative people are.

:)

GPS-John

Wow, Great stuff. All of the Above. It's quite literally all over the World! We've be fortunate to do a little traveling and have been able to find at least one cache in every country! Italy, Greece, Turkey,France, Switzerland, Austria,Germany. It gets you to places you would likely never find on your own and learn something unique about that area. I know a lot of cachers build up their numbers on the quicky stash and grabs but I very much prefer the hiking trails and getting out and about. I have several that I've hidden too and really appreciate when people put a little thought and effort in the hides.

Geocoins: that's another tread...[

We have just started Geo caching. We all love it. I have 3 daughters aged between 6 and 14, and a collie dog that needs alot of exercise. The kids moan continuously about having to walk the dog, but give them a gps loaded with cache coordinates and they'll walk for miles!!!

This is sort of like asking "What's so great about jazz?"

If you are a geocacher, no explanation is necessary. If you are not a geocacher, no explanation will make sense.

That is true. My friends don't get it, although one will sometimes indulge me for the sake of a nice walk.

I like that it motivates me to get outside more.

I like visiting and spending time at places I'd otherwise ignore.

I like the puzzle solving aspect. "Where is it?"

I like playing with technology.

I enjoy looking at (electronic) maps, planning where I'm going to go.

As a newbie, what is the appeal for me? Searching for something that's not really known to me and then finding it--it was like finding a hidden Christmas present. Honoring my friend's memory. Going to new places. Trying something new (I had never done any sort of navigation before today). Being outside. Those things appeal to me.

I went geocaching for the first time today. I first heard about geocaching about a year and a half ago from a friend of mine--she and her fiance loved to go geocaching on weekends. Sadly, they both died in a car accident a little over a year ago.

About a week ago I decided I wanted to try geocaching. So I educated myself a little and today I headed out and found my first two caches!

For me it ticks so many boxes ...

As most others have said it's a great excuse to get out, I love getting out and about in the countryside, geocaching helps with the planning and can give direction to a day out. Instead of just 'exploring' an area with no real goal if we can plan and walk a route that takes in a cache or two it kinda gives a purpose. Climbing a long hill is easier with a 'prize' to be found at the top. Dont get me wrong - being outside is excuse enough, and hill walking has always been a pleasure - but geocaching adds a certain 'je ne se quois'.

Part of the intrigue prior to starting geocaching was a child-like fasciniation with the knowledge that all over the place there are these 'secret' hides that are only known to the geocaching fraternity. Almost like a secret society. I also love the way it blurs the edge between on-line and real life.

Plus ... it gets me off my behind ... even if its just out for an hour or two to go check my own caches.

All the usual reasons. A few years ago I did a hike with my daughter in seach of a series of caches telling an adventure story of Incan gold and providing clues along the way. If I had suggested, "let's climb up that ridge!" she probably would have asked, "why?" But by following the caches we ended up high above where we had started. These days she puts up with my caching but it can still lead to an adventure or two.

I realized some time ago that I don't enjoy the hunt - looking for a hanging bison tube or a cleverly camo'd cache is not that fun for me. But I like finding them for the places they take me, every once in a while I run across a cache that reminds me of why I started this game. And there is a focus, whether it be with friends, the dog, or just a get away.

So this weekend I came across everything from some geological formations on a ridge where I had never hiked, a visit to a cemetery following letter box clues, a cluster of unusual birdhouses, and a 60 foot waterfall after a 6.5 mile bike and hike up a redwood basin. That and a few lamp posts and film cans because I am a little compulsive.

Edited by Erickson

Geocaching involves two things for us

1. Outdoors

2. Puzzle solving

But it goes deeper.

Families no longer eat around the table together. This is our table on wheels you could say. We have a common topic to talk about in this scatter brain world we live in. This world of instant gratification is 24/7.

Caching is old scool you could say, or at least my legs say we are earning it :)