unauthorized and illegal copy of the templar coin on ebay!

Mambomania

Does anybody know if all the coins being sold by CENTRAL METAL CORP like above are fakes? I just saw that he has a lot of dog coins listed right now and the back side say they are trackable. It also says Rising Sun Mint.

Ask the seller!

"Trackable" doesn't mean anything. A USPS parcel, a dog, you, everything is "trackable".

The questions should be:

Is this a Geocaching.com related item?

Can I track it at geocaching.com?

What if it is a coin, with a geokrety number engraved? Still trackable.

GermanSailor

I'll give you another reason why it's wrong. When I, as a collector, decide to buy a coin I am basing it on the the original, the number of copies minted and and the desirability of the coin. Now some one comes along who does not recognize intellectual property, makes another thousand of this coin and not only ruins the market but makes it difficult to determine if you are buying a legit coin or not.

It's just bad form all the way around.

It's not difficult at all to determin a fake:

Trackable at Geocaching.com --> Original

NOT trackable at Geocaching.com --> Fake. I wish it was always that easy to identify a fake.

GermanSailor

It may not be as easy as you would have it be. First of all not all geocoins are trackable. Even some that say trackable at geocaching.com may not be and not be fake. For instance samples can have that phrase but either be blank or have some numbers or letters in that space. Other times I have seen a coin offered in a trackable and non trackable versions. The non trackable still had that phrase....

Does anybody know if all the coins being sold by CENTRAL METAL CORP like above are fakes? I just saw that he has a lot of dog coins listed right now and the back side say they are trackable. It also says Rising Sun Mint.

Ask the seller!

"Trackable" doesn't mean anything. A USPS parcel, a dog, you, everything is "trackable".

The questions should be:

Is this a Geocaching.com related item?

Can I track it at geocaching.com?

What if it is a coin, with a geokrety number engraved? Still trackable.

GermanSailor

Since we are in the geocoin forums, I and others make the assumption that trackable means trackable at gecaching.com. When I asked the ebay seller I was very specific in my question and asked if the coin had a tracking number and was trackable at geocaching.com. I didn't get any answer at all. Since I didn't get any answer I assumed it was a fake.

Edited by LadyBee4T

Three weeks ago I posted this right in this thread.

I actually contacted the seller and got an answer.

I sent this guy the following question:

It this coin in any way related to Geocaching? Is it trackable at Geocaching.com?

Answer:

ONly if the coin is related to Geocaching (in item description) Thanks

I don't see a big problem. Nobody claims to sell a trackable geocoin. And I don't think the the Order of the Templar Knights assumes intellectual property rights.

GermanSailor

These people have been doing this for years. I have designed numerous challenge coins throughout the last 10 years and have seen poor copies go up for sale on ebay. I actually bid and won one of them just to see how close it resembled my design. I was relatively shocked to see how close it matched. There were just a couple slight changes but it was pretty decent. This guy was selling hundreds of different coins and was doing pretty well with them.

When I contacted him about stealing my design, he replied that he IS NOT a manufacturer of these coins and that he bought them from a mint in China. Pretty much nothing we could do to stop him. We contacted Ebay about him selling fakes. They supposedly did an investigation into this guy, but nothing has been done about is thus far.

It's a shame, but people will do anything to earn a buck. It was just a matter of time before they figured out the geocoin.

These people have been doing this for years. I have designed numerous challenge coins throughout the last 10 years and have seen poor copies go up for sale on ebay...

When I contacted him about stealing my design, he replied that he IS NOT a manufacturer of these coins and that he bought them from a mint in China. Pretty much nothing we could do to stop him. We contacted Ebay about him selling fakes. They supposedly did an investigation into this guy, but nothing has been done about is thus far.

thanks for posting this.

my, my...what a convenient excuse to sell fakes and stolen ideas..."no no, i don't make them, i just buy the items from China...i'm completely innocent!" so, does anyone else STILL believe this is all just a CONSPIRACY THEORY contrived by all the old ladies here in the forum?! :laughing:

I just happened to click on this ebay listing from the same seller, and if you look at the picture, it says the coin is "track at gerocaching.com" and no, I didn't make a typo on that! Also, his listing refers to it being a "geocashing bar". I did try seeing if there was even a website called gerocaching.com since he says they're trackable and you can request the tracking code, but it comes up as a non-existent page. Well at least if anyone looks at this one, they may notice that it's not trackable at geocaching.com, but it's very sad to see this allowed on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-HUGE-4-OZ-ALUMINUM...=item1e5b441efd

So I emailed the seller on the coin I posted above that was being sold on ebay and said track at "gerocaching.com" and this was the reply, you can see my question below the answer:

Dear XXXX,

yes, genuine

- ameropaintball Did this answer your question? If not, let the seller know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: ameropaintball

Subject: XXXX has sent a question about item #160418649369, ending on 05-Apr-10 19:36:41 EDT - 100$ HUGE 4 OZ ALUMINUM GEOCACHING COIN BAR GEOCOIN

Sent Date: 04-Apr-10 22:22:28 EDT

Dear ameropaintball,

Please explain and confirm if this is a genuine geocaching coin, trackable at geocaching.com? On the picture, it clearly says to track at "gerocaching.com" which is a bogus name, and your item description refers to it being a geocashing item, which is NOT the same. I'm reading a lot about coins that aren't trackable at geocaching.com being sold looking as if they are trackable there. Please confirm?

Don't really feel like my question was understood or answered, so if I was interested in this coin, I wouldn't feel confident buying it. I did look to see if I could submit a report to ebay asking them to look into it, but it looks like you can only submit a report that you think something is fraudulent if you bought the item already? And of course now that ebay changed their policies and doesn't show bidder full names, you can't even contact someone who won an item and encourage them to contact ebay if it was indeed a bogus item, which I might have taken the initiative to do in the past...

I agree; it doesn't sound like the guy really understood the question. Might be worth a followup such as:

"Thank you for confirming that this coin IS trackable at geocaching.com. Please be advised that the tracking phrase is misspelled".

And then shoot a picture of this over to Groundspeak and say "The guy says it's trackable at geocaching.com. Did you /really/ approve this copy-cat coin?" And if they say "no", forward the whole correspondence to eBay as part of my fraud report.

I have bought one of these before seeing this thread and although the coin looks like the one listed as a fake - it is trackable via Geocaching and so is not a fake IMHO. So I agree with the previous comment - if trackable - original, if not then fake.

Maybe you bought a real templar coin by mistake :blink:

Using your logic, if I buy a fake Rolex watch and put a Groundspeak tracking number on it then it magically becomes a real Rolex :rolleyes:

Think I'll go engrave a Barbie doll ;)

Don't worry, we understand your point. You are saying a legit tracking number makes it a real geocoin. The only problem with that argument is that you could turn anything into a "real geocoin" by putting a Groundspeak tracking number on it. Tattoo a tracking number on your head and call yourself a geocoin. :unsure: Tell em Groundspeak said so when the men in white coats come to collect you. "I am a real geocoin I tell ya" "Of course you are" "No, no, stay back" "But we only want to help you" ...

Edited by haysonics

Hello coin collectors

this post is just to let you know that there is a guy who sells unauthorized and illegal copies of the templar coin on ebay.com and ebay.ca!

Please don't buy one of those coins!!!

The coin also has the "track this coin at www.geocaching.com" phrase on it, but they don't have a tracking code and of course they are not trackable at the website.

Here is a picture of the original design

TemplarFoggyGoldBack.jpgTemplarFoggyGoldFront.jpg

and here one of the illegal copy:

tempcopygold.jpg

Thank you for NOT buying these coins!

Mambomania

Sadly, I bought one of these at a military coin show and didn't realize it was a fake until I went to activate it PCXXXX. Yeah right. Then I thought, hey, I have one of the original proof coins. :( nope, I guess I got a shiny fake for $20. Merry Christmas me!

Hello coin collectors

this post is just to let you know that there is a guy who sells unauthorized and illegal copies of the templar coin on ebay.com and ebay.ca!

Please don't buy one of those coins!!!

The coin also has the "track this coin at www.geocaching.com" phrase on it, but they don't have a tracking code and of course they are not trackable at the website.

Here is a picture of the original design

TemplarFoggyGoldBack.jpgTemplarFoggyGoldFront.jpg

and here one of the illegal copy:

tempcopygold.jpg

Thank you for NOT buying these coins!

Mambomania

Sadly, I bought one of these at a military coin show and didn't realize it was a fake until I went to activate it PCXXXX. Yeah right. Then I thought, hey, I have one of the original proof coins. :( nope, I guess I got a shiny fake for $20. Merry Christmas me!

Let me know if you would like to get rit of it, a counterfit geocoin would be fun to have.