IND FLOOD CONTROL & WATER RESOURCES COMM BENCHMARK

scubagecko

We went to a bridge in the boondocks of Indiana to get the coordinates of a Benchmark on a small concrete bridge over a stream. The Benchmark seems to be from 1959 and seems to be in good condition and seems to have a single thin layer of yellow paint on it. We did a rubbing on the Benchmark to get a little proof we found it. The coordinates do not match a Benchmark on the Benchmark website and the description does not match a Benchmark near the coordinates (they don't seem to be near a stream). The Benchmark seems to be named on itself starting with SHE then a number then 1959; that doesn't match anything that I see on the Benchmark site. Where it says "Elevation" there is no elevation evident on the Benchmark, but my new eTrex Venture gave the elevation just fine using 11 or 12 satellites.

My question is, what does this Benchmark represent and how do I get it included with the others on the site or wherever?

There are many, many benchmarks that are not in this site's db. Probably all states and many localities have their own stations that are not included in the national NGS database. If the disc has - as it should - information about what agency placed it, you can contact that agency. If not, try your county engineering or survey office, or the state GIS agency. My county (Arlington, VA) has datasheets that can be downloaded from the web that include maps - far more user-friendly than many dscriptions in the NGS database. Good luck!

quote:
Originally posted by ArtMan:

There are many, many benchmarks that are not in this site's db. Probably all states and many localities have their own stations that are not included in the national NGS database. If the disc has - as it should - information about what agency placed it, you can contact that agency. If not, try your county engineering or survey office, or the state GIS agency. My county (Arlington, VA) has datasheets that can be downloaded from the web that include maps - far more user-friendly than many dscriptions in the NGS database. Good luck!

The title of my original post was what was on the Benchmark, and it was in all capital letters on the Benchmark so that is why it is that way in the title. I'll look in the phone book for something similar. I doubt if Indiana cares much if a Benchmark is recovered or not on a bridge over a stream, there is certainly plenty of water around. Oh well.

The fact that there is no elevation stamped on the disk does not mean that the benchmark has no elevation. In fact only a small percentage of all benchmarks have the elevation stamped on them. It has been found in recent years that stamping the original elevation on the disk can cause problems, since elevations can change due to adjustments, so the practice of stamping elevations was dropped.