New Oregon 450t Questions/Issues/Concerns

I just got a new Garmin Oregon 450t to replace my trusty 60CSx. I hate to say it, but so far I'm NOT impressed.

Questions/Issues/Concerns:

1 - I have a 2009 City Navigator DVD that I can't seem to get unlocked to this new unit. I bought a 4GB microSD card then downloaded the North America's. Everything looked ok from the MapSource stand point. But when I turn on the GPS, it says "can't unlock maps". I should be able to load my City Nav to all of my Garmin products right?

2 - The Topo/basemap includes roads/highways/streets but when my tracking option is on, my "tracks" show up several hundred feet off the roads I'm driving on. If I'm driving on the road but the unit says I'm 200 feet south of the road, that leads me to believe the thing isn't working right, or the whole "map" is shifted to the north or something. I've tried calibrating the unit, but that didn't seem to help.

3 - The GPS doesn't function while it plugged into my car's cigarette lighter power cord?!?! One of the things I love about my 60CSx is that I can plug it into my car to avoid using the batteries. This is essential when using the City Nav to direct me to where I'm going. I was TOTALLY shocked when i plugged in my Oregon and the screen changed to the computer/GPS picture. How could Garmin take away this feature if they expect people to by the City Nav for these handhelds? Basically it means we have to use batteries 100% of the time. I just can't believe they took away the power cord adaptability.

I plan to call Garmin on Monday to help answer some of these questions. Unfortunatley they aren't open on the weekends. If anyone out there can help answer some of my questions/concerns/complaints I would be greatful.

Diehard

Edited by diehard50248

City Nav gets unlocked to one unit - buy a second unit - buy a second City Nav.

Make sure lock on roads is enabled.

Try setting the units interface to Spanner and see if that works. Is it a Garmin adapter? They do some funny stuff with their usb that can cause issues with non-Garmin usb power cords.

Edited by Vlad

1.) Like others have said, the DVD is unlocked for one unit, you'll have to call Garmin and get a new code. They may charge you for it.

2.) You're seeing a combination of several factors. Roads on the topo maps aren't as accurate as on a dedicated road map - for example, a highway might have one track for the centerpoint of the road. If it's a 4 lane highway and you're traveling in the far right lane you're already 50+ feet off the line on the map without any GPS error. That's why "lock to road" was invented.

3.) Things changed between the 60c(s)x series and the Oregon with the USB power port. You need a USB cable that's made for the Oregon or you need to work through spanner mode. Check out this page on the Oregon wiki.

2 - The Topo/basemap includes roads/highways/streets but when my tracking option is on, my "tracks" show up several hundred feet off the roads I'm driving on. If I'm driving on the road but the unit says I'm 200 feet south of the road, that leads me to believe the thing isn't working right, or the whole "map" is shifted to the north or something. I've tried calibrating the unit, but that didn't seem to help.

Load the same Garmin topo map onto your 60CSx and you'll see the same behavior.

Thanks everyone!!!

I used the Oregon Wiki site to understand and/or fix each of the issues I mentioned in my initial email.

I'm still disappointed that I have to buy a separate City Nav map for each unit. My thought is this...if I purchase a map from Garmin, I should be able load it on all of my registerd Garmin products. I look at it as a "reward" for being a repeat customer. That being said, I understand the Garmin is a business out there to make money. Allowing people to load the map on multiple registed products means people could abuse the situation by buying GPS's, registering them, loading them with maps, then selling the pre-loaded units for a profit. In the end I wish Garmin would allow maybe two downloads per map. That seems reasonable. Oh well. Just getting a few things off my chest I guess.

Thanks again for all of you help!!!

Diehard50248

Can’t, the unlock is tied to the serial number of your 60CSx.

So I can't choose which unit my City Nav is used on??? If I call Garmin can't they just transfer the City Nav "unlock" from the 60csx to the new Oregon? Again, this seems a bit "off" to me.

I'm planning to sell my 60CSx. When I sell it, what happens if someone else registers it with Garmin? What happens to the map? Do they just automatically get the unit AND the map? This goes back to my initial complaint...if I paid for the City Nav, I should be able to use it as I please. I can accept that it can only be used on one unit, but surely I should be able to pick which unit to use it on.

I can't wait to talk to Garmin Support about this stuff! :D

Diehard50248

I called Garmin Support this morning. You guys were right. Once a City Nav map is unlocked to a GPS, it stays with that unit forever. I have to buy a new City Nav disc in order to unlock it to my new Oregon. I guess you live an learn. <_<

I did a re-test of my Oregon vs. my 60CSx in a city park over lunch today. The accuracy is much much better now. I'm guessing the satalite reception wasn't fully engaged the first time I compared the two (when i took the Oregon right out of the box). I think I'm going to like the new Oregon.

Thanks for all of you help!

I have transferred my City Nav Maps from my Etrex Legend HCx to my Vista HCx when I lost it in the swamp. I called them and told them that I no longer had the GPS as it was at the bottom of the swamp and the guy on the phone unlocked my maps and allowed me to put it on my Vista HCx. My Vista did not come with only the base maps. I plan on upgrading my Vista HCx to an Oregon 450 and I planned on doing the same thing.

Edited by kywaterfowler

Load the same Garmin topo map onto your 60CSx and you'll see the same behavior.

I had Topo 2008 on my Garmins and they were off. I loaded the free maps you talk about for Topo Wiscinsin and they were better. I would actually track on the roads.

I thought I'd follow up to this posting now that I've got a couple of weeks experience with my new 450t...

This past weekend I received my new copy of City Navigator and got all of North America loaded to my 4GB card. It works flawlessly and tracks to the roads as it's supposed to.

Now that I've gotten used to this device I can honestly say I like it better than my 60CSx. I say this becuase I was a BIG fan of the 60CSx. It took some trial and error, but the Oregon does everything my 60CSx could do and then some. The touch screen is slick and the "paperless" features have already come in handy while geocaching. If I were to do it over again I'd skip the extra cost of the electronic compass and the pre-loaded TOPO maps. I will be recommending a version of the Oregon to all my geocaching buddies.

Thanks to everyone that replied!

Diehard