GPX 1.01 and how do I change my E-Mail Address?

OK 2 questions for you:

I understand from searching the forums GPX 1.01 files include attributes, will they show on my Garmin 400t?

How do I change my E-Mail address? Every time I do it says not logged in (which I am) or insufficient permission?

Hope some one can help?

The GPX file holds all the cache information, description, hint and past logs. It includes the terrain and difficulty but not the attributes or images from the gallery.

I assume you mean the Garmin Oregon 400t? This supports 'paperless' caching and can read the GPX file directly. You can either download them singly from the cache page or as a Pocket Query (PQ) of up to 500. You can create PQ's and filter them for particular attributes. Then, simply copy the GPX file from the PQ directly to the Oregon (/garmin/gpx) folder and it will read them as you switch it on. I've written a simple instruction on how to do this on my resource site.

You can change your email address from your profile. Here is the knowledge books article about it.

Chris (MrB)

Edited by The Blorenges

OK 2 questions for you:

I understand from searching the forums GPX 1.01 files include attributes, will they show on my Garmin 400t?

How do I change my E-Mail address? Every time I do it says not logged in (which I am) or insufficient permission?

Hope some one can help?

Further to MrB's answer....as well as being able to filter in GSAK, the attributes are now shown (in text form) on the cache page when you open it on your Garmin (as he says - I'm also assuming you mean Oregon 400t - you don't say which 400t you have)

Edited by keehotee
Further to MrB's answer....as well as being able to filter in GSAK, the attributes are now shown (in text form) on the cache page when you open it on your Garmin (as he says - I'm also assuming you mean Oregon 400t - you don't say which 400t you have)

Looking at the cache from a PQ GPX file copied straight into the Oregon there are no attributes - do you mean if you filter it first with GSAK and then export to the Oregon you see the waypoint? I've just looked at GSAK and unless I'm missing something can't see anything about attributes?

Edited to add. I've just opened the GPX file in Notepad++ and scanned the code but see no references to Attributes.

Chris (MrB)

Edited by The Blorenges

Looking at the cache from a PQ GPX file copied straight into the Oregon there are no attributes - do you mean if you filter it first with GSAK and then export to the Oregon you see the waypoint? I've just looked at GSAK and unless I'm missing something can't see anything about attributes?

Chris (MrB)

Hmm - not sure.

I haven't changed anything in GSAK, but noticed during the week that the cache details on my Oregon now have attributes listed. Using the Colorado Export beta macro to amalgamate my PQs and load to the Oregon.

Edited to add..... just sent a couple direct to my Oregon, and attributes don't show up, so must be something my GSAK macro adds.

Edited by keehotee

Right.... in a single GPX file or a PQ GPX file I can't see any reference to attributes. But using that Colorado/Oregon export macro with the same GPX file in GSAK does give the attributes. So mystery to me how GSAK finds them!

Chris (MrB)

I'd heard that attributes were added to GPX 1.1 when they rolled it out a couple of months ago, and this is what caused a lot of software to fail and for 1.1 to be withdrawn again.... perhaps they've started again?

I know that macro also has an option to write attributes as POIs, but haven't tried it yet.

Right.... in a single GPX file or a PQ GPX file I can't see any reference to attributes. But using that Colorado/Oregon export macro with the same GPX file in GSAK does give the attributes. So mystery to me how GSAK finds them!

Chris (MrB)

Attributes are now in the GPX files they appear in a block like this

<Groundspeak:attributes>
	   <Groundspeak:attribute id="32" inc="1">Bicycles</Groundspeak:attribute>
	   <Groundspeak:attribute id="7" inc="1">Takes less than an hour</Groundspeak:attribute>
	   <Groundspeak:attribute id="25" inc="1">Parking available</Groundspeak:attribute>
	   <Groundspeak:attribute id="13" inc="1">Available at all times</Groundspeak:attribute>
	   <Groundspeak:attribute id="1" inc="1">Dogs</Groundspeak:attribute>
</Groundspeak:attributes>

Chris (MrB)

Attributes are now in the GPX files they appear in a block like this

<Groundspeak:attributes>
	   <Groundspeak:attribute id="32" inc="1">Bicycles</Groundspeak:attribute>
	   <Groundspeak:attribute id="7" inc="1">Takes less than an hour</Groundspeak:attribute>
	   <Groundspeak:attribute id="25" inc="1">Parking available</Groundspeak:attribute>
	   <Groundspeak:attribute id="13" inc="1">Available at all times</Groundspeak:attribute>
	   <Groundspeak:attribute id="1" inc="1">Dogs</Groundspeak:attribute>
</Groundspeak:attributes>

Thanks Milt.

More details here - and I should have called it GPX 1.01, not 1.1 :anitongue::laughing::laughing:

Sorry, seems I was a bit vague, yes I have Oregon 400t.

With regard to GPX files when I go to my Account Details there are two versions for GPX Files 1.00 and 1.01.

Although Googling seems to show GPX 1.01 and your above mentioned GPX Ver 1.1 are different and allot of comments about compatibility issues and messing things up...

I am away at moment and do not have GPS to hand after your comments I would try putting both in GPS.

Concerning changing Email accounts ever time I try changing my email account from present hotmail account to Gmail account it say:

"You are either not logged in and / or do not have sufficient permissions to view this content."

I am logged in and do not understand why I do not have permission...

Thanks for all the help so far...

Ding! Thanks GerritS - I'd not set the GPX value in my profile. So now I need to do a few tests with my Oregon and direct transfer of GPX files.

GerritS - re your emaiil problem. Send an email to contact@geocaching.com with the problem and ask them to have a look at it.

Chris (MrB)

I hadn't altered my preferences either, so wondered why mine had defaulted to 1.0.1 - then found out that it hadn't, and I was still on 1.0.

So why am I getting attributes on my Oregon?????

Sorry, seems I was a bit vague, yes I have Oregon 400t.

With regard to GPX files when I go to my Account Details there are two versions for GPX Files 1.00 and 1.01.

Although Googling seems to show GPX 1.01 and your above mentioned GPX Ver 1.1 are different and allot of comments about compatibility issues and messing things up...

I am away at moment and do not have GPS to hand after your comments I would try putting both in GPS.

Concerning changing Email accounts ever time I try changing my email account from present hotmail account to Gmail account it say:

"You are either not logged in and / or do not have sufficient permissions to view this content."

I am logged in and do not understand why I do not have permission...

Thanks for all the help so far...

Have you received an email from Groundspeak to authorise the account and followed the instructions in it?

If you're still having problems then contact GC direct and they will help you out. See this Knowledge Book article for more help:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?p....page&id=93

$64,000 dollar question. How does the GSAK macro get the attributes when they are clearly not in the GPX file.... no idea. One for the GSAK forum I think

Chris (MrB)

Thanks for info, will mail Groundspeak soon. Luckily I am not one to ask how to much but but it would be great if you guys can share your findings.

That way when I come home I can have the best tools to hand :D

I have not paid for GSAK I just drag and drop the files into unit.

Which reminds me ;) here is a technical one, one of the reasons I want to trans-fare to Gmail account for Caching is I can receive attachments, then I can use use SMART GPX to get latest PQ's.

Now then is there a way to let a Symbian Series 3 Nokia phone plug into a Oregon to trans-fare files straight from phone? That way you can also trans-fare Bing maps onto phone as well :D

Now then is there a way to let a Symbian Series 3 Nokia phone plug into a Oregon to trans-fare files straight from phone? That way you can also trans-fare Bing maps onto phone as well :D

The easiest way is (possibly) to take the micro sd card out of the Oregon, and stick it in the phone.

I use this method with my pda to organise/add PQs when I'm out and about and away from a 'puter.

Now then is there a way to let a Symbian Series 3 Nokia phone plug into a Oregon to trans-fare files straight from phone? That way you can also trans-fare Bing maps onto phone as well ;)

The easiest way is (possibly) to take the micro sd card out of the Oregon, and stick it in the phone.

I use this method with my pda to organise/add PQs when I'm out and about and away from a 'puter.

Your probably right, is there a way to transfare PQ's and mange them this way? Its sad the Oregon does not have a file manager type function... Then you could pre-store PQ's and drop them in and out of the "visible" memory as you wished.

My other big bug bear is I find it easier to delete all waypoints when changing caching area is there away to keep the few I want to go back to?

Presently I just hide my laptop in back of car. Not something I am always comfortable with. Although it has meant some good Pub Lunch stops when stopping to charge laptop, although the find rate falls afterwards :D

$64,000 dollar question. How does the GSAK macro get the attributes when they are clearly not in the GPX file.... no idea. One for the GSAK forum I think

Chris (MrB)

Chris

That was taken from a standard PQ file generated via a standard PQ query, I used a Textpad to open it, nothing fancy, GSAK is getting them from the standard the PQ. Looking at a cache page with attributes set and downloading a GPX file for that cache they do not appear, looks like a PQ thing

Edited by Moote