FTF?

KarateNeko2

Can the person who created the cache be FTF it? I just made a new cache and I was wondering if I could go visit it and be the FTF. I don't think that's allowed though.

~Thanks

Why would you log a "find" to your own cache? FTF or otherwise, logging your own cache is generally frowned on. That being said, there isn't anything to stop you.

Can the person who created the cache be FTF it? I just made a new cache and I was wondering if I could go visit it and be the FTF. I don't think that's allowed though.

~Thanks

Why would you log a "find" to your own cache? FTF or otherwise, logging your own cache is generally frowned on. That being said, there isn't anything to stop you.

I have a find on one of my caches and a DNF on another. Of course I adopted them a couple years after I found/DNF'ed them :anitongue:

This has to be a troll .....

You are now the second poster to accuse this self identified young lady of being a troll in the Getting Started Forum. She asks articulate questions in posts that would make a spelling teacher proud. I'm satisfied this is a genuine new cacher, unless you can provide evidence to the contrary. Got anything?

Thank you for your help. All I needed to know is if it was allowed or not. I guess it makes sense now that that would be lame to be FTF your own cache.

This has to be a troll. Nobody can be this clueless. Can they?

I may be clueless, but you are unresonable. I like to make sure I'm not breaking any rules or causing any trouble. I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I try to do it. It's like baking a cake. You need all the steps and ingredients in order for it to turn out good. That's what I want. A good cake. Go ahead. Call me a troll one more time. It doesn't stop me from getting answers if other people are actually considerate and care about what I need to know.

I appriciate everyone's answers.

Well done on your first cache hide - folks seem to be enjoying it.

As to your original question: Some cachers (a very few) do claim FTF on their own cache hides. I think it's a bit silly because 'to find' something means that you have 'to search' for it... so how can you find something that you've only just hidden?

(I must admit that I try and do this at home by hiding cookies and bars of chocolate from myself. Strangely enough, I always seem to manage to find them later, however well I think I've hidden them :D )

MrsB ;)

A person that asks a (supposed) stupid question is far wiser than one that never asks anything at all!

Have seen this question, or variants of it before. I believe we all have. It isn't a stupid question, it is merely a question, and as such deserves an answer.

Love the comment on spelling, as most in these forums do need help (including me -- mostly with typos and lack of proof-reading). ;):D:D

Well done on your first cache hide - folks seem to be enjoying it.

As to your original question: Some cachers (a very few) do claim FTF on their own cache hides. I think it's a bit silly because 'to find' something means that you have 'to search' for it... so how can you find something that you've only just hidden?

(I must admit that I try and do this at home by hiding cookies and bars of chocolate from myself. Strangely enough, I always seem to manage to find them later, however well I think I've hidden them :D )

MrsB ;)

Do you mark a waypoint for where you hide them? LOL. There's a hunt I could get into!

Thank you for your help. All I needed to know is if it was allowed or not. I guess it makes sense now that that would be lame to be FTF your own cache.

This has to be a troll. Nobody can be this clueless. Can they?

I may be clueless, but you are unresonable. I like to make sure I'm not breaking any rules or causing any trouble. I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I try to do it. It's like baking a cake. You need all the steps and ingredients in order for it to turn out good. That's what I want. A good cake. Go ahead. Call me a troll one more time. It doesn't stop me from getting answers if other people are actually considerate and care about what I need to know.

I appriciate everyone's answers.

Hey kid, keep your head up! and good luck on the fun. don't pay any attention to the grumpy old people, i've posted some DUH questions myself. i echo the comment about is it really "finding" if you know where it is, but if you don't ask you don't know.

Some people live to be the first one to the cache once activated. No trails have developed to it, and the hide is as close as it may ever be to the way the hider intended. And it still has that New Cache Smell. :D

You might someday set up a cache that you need help with -- maybe to fine-tune it, or get suggestions before you activate it. If you ask friend to “beta-test” your cache, and this helps to improve the hide, and they sign the log, there will already be a FTF before the cache is even activated. That’s allowed, too. Regardless, if you FTF your own cache, or if a friend does, my suggestion is to keep all those logs up-to-date on your cache page – so that people don’t think they are getting FTF, when you already signed it.

We'll fess up. . .

We have a puzzle cache that had not been found for many months (but no DNF's posted). We decided to check on it and in the cold, dark, wet, snow, etc. we couldn't find it (a regular size cache at that). We decided to come back another day when conditions were better before disabling the cache. However, before we got the chance, another cacher did find it. (Yes, we did go back within a few days to confirm the status of the cache and did find it that time.) In retrospect, perhaps it would have been approriate to have posted a Didn't find it following the first search.

it was nice of you to place a cache after only finding a few yourself. I sadly waited and have only placed one so far. People who place caches are great contributors to the game/hobby/sport. thanks.

If you want to FTF, if you haven't already, it helps to become a Premium Member. That way you can set up your accounts to get notifications (emails) of when a new cache is published in your area. maybe start a new thread asking for tips on how to FTF, if that is your desire.

Seems like you've got it!

Generally, any kind of a 'find', whether first or not, implies that you had to search to 'find' it. If you are the one that put it there, you already know exactly where it is (or should be, unless someone moved it). So you can't really 'find' it.

Don't worry about what kinds of questions you ask, feel free to ask about anything that you don't know or understand.

I have a kind of unique position where I work so not many people know about what I do. I get a lot of folks who approach me with, "Sorry for the dumb question, but....". I usually think, GREAT, those kinds of questions are the easiest for me to answer! ;)

I have a kind of unique position where I work so not many people know about what I do. I get a lot of folks who approach me with, "Sorry for the dumb question, but....". I usually think, GREAT, those kinds of questions are the easiest for me to answer! ;)

Haha, now thats a way to think about things!