No Log info in Pocket Query

Stompy

Okay, now can you reset the clock on my "my finds" pocket query? I wanted to try out FindStatGen when I downloaded that børked one.

You don't have over 500 finds, so you can just run a normal PQ with the options (Ive found) and (I Don't own) selected. This will pull all caches you've found except archived ones, which you'll have to go download the gpx manually.

And for those of us with over 500 finds, and did a "My Finds" PQ yesterday?

Well, I can't tell you if they fixed the missing log problem or not because I've been clicking on [Add to Queue] for over two hours now and I still haven't received my latest MyFinds PQ.

What the heck is going on? ;)

And when should we expect a fix? :D

I have run several PQs in the last 2 hours and I am getting logs.

(At the moment it seems only my old PQs are running. New PQs aren't for me.)

And, fegan, if it's going to work, 1 click will do it. (There may be a large backlog of them...or they may not be running at all.)

How many geocaching trips is this site going to ruin! I can't receive new PQs AGAIN!

Somebody needs to make a new geocaching website that doesn't break every day. With proper coding and features, it could overtake this one in months. Look at what facebook did to myspace. I have limited experience in coding but i'd be very willing to join the project if it had some investors!

Terracaching was a good idea, but the interface was nowhere near user friendly enough to take off.

And, fegan, if it's going to work, 1 click will do it. (There may be a large backlog of them...or they may not be running at all.)

That's odd...it NEVER works on the 1st click for me, ALWAYS have to click a 2nd or 3rd time to get it to run. But I've clicked at least 25 times over the past few hours...still NOTHING.

My guess, they're not running at all. :D

I download all the individual GPX files for my new finds so I could update my profile. It was time consuming (fortunately I had a slow weekend)...but a mere fraction of the time I've been trying to get the MyFinds PQ with no luck.

That's odd...it NEVER works on the 1st click for me

OK, take some time when it isn't broken, click once and wait for an e-mail. Don't worry about what you see on the webpage.

(Now is obviously the wrong time for that experiment since I have some doubt it's even working now.)

Edited by beejay&esskay

With proper coding and features, it could overtake this one in months.

I have limited experience in coding but i'd be very willing to join the project if it had some investors!

Or you could let them fix the problem...

Based on my non-limited experience to make an educated guess, the system you're talking about re-writing is non-trivial. Spatial data querying is harsh on databases.

see you in a week.

Unacceptable. That's like someone losing money to a scam. At least that's how it feels to me.

<RANT>

Due to the MAJOR stuff up, maybe ALL Premium members should receive an additional ONE months Premium Membership as compensation for the stuff up. We are paying for something we are not getting.

Why is Groundspeak continually tweaking with the LIVE system, why isn't the development work done on BACKUPS and only deployed when all the bugs have been ironed out.

The ONE and ONLY reason I have a Premium Membership is for Pocket Queries. As we are limited in the number and frequency we can get a day, most of us create PQ's the day before we go out on a caching run.

With this stuff up and the recent deployment of the stuffed up website lay out, and last year's episode when the webiste was off line for a considerable period of time as there was no contingent backup, there are a number of disgruntled members who may decide its not worth persevering with Geocaching as we do not have working tools available to us.

Surely there are enough Premium members to pay staff appropriately to do the job right - first time!!

Hopefully someone's head is rolling - this is absolute CRAP.

Don't use us PAYING customers as guinea pigs!!

</RANT OVER>

Edited by Jardry

<RANT>

Due to the MAJOR stuff up, maybe ALL Premium members should receive an additional ONE months Premium Membership as compensation for the stuff up. We are paying for something we are not getting.

Why is Groundspeak continually tweaking with the LIVE system, why isn't the development work done on BACKUPS and only deployed when all the bugs have been ironed out.

The ONE and ONLY reason I have a Premium Membership is for Pocket Queries. As we are limited in the number and frequency we can get a day, most of us create PQ's the day before we go out on a caching run.

With this stuff up and the recent deployment of the stuffed up website lay out, and last year's episode when the webiste was off line for a considerable period of time as there was no contingent backup, there are a number of disgruntled members who may decide its not worth persevering with Geocaching as we do not have working tools available to us.

Surely there are enough Premium members to pay staff appropriately to do the job right - first time!!

Hopefully someone's head is rolling - this is absolute CRAP.

Don't use us PAYING customers as guinea pigs!!

</RANT OVER>

Totally agree, also how about getting us some level of service? Or even a response from TPTB to let us know what is happening? That last time we heard from GS was here it seems each time something goes wrong there is a 4 hour service window. What is GS's service offer? Do you have a 24 hour dev team? If any problem happens on a weekend it seems to take ages to get anything. I know of websites that seem to be able to have a quicker turnaround and their membership is free!

It would be nice to see GS putting some of our Premium Membership fee to a bit more use?

I guess it is a problem of success. There are so many caches and so many cachers. May be they did tested something of line which failed when it went on scale because of scaling issues.

I think Groundspeak do an amazing job and the annual membership fee is very reasonable. I do not think that there is any other caching site with so many caches world wide.

Hopefully the issues will be sorted out soon and remember it is only a game and not mission critical software.

:D

Edited by Loony Londo

Okay, now can you reset the clock on my "my finds" pocket query? I wanted to try out FindStatGen when I downloaded that børked one.

You don't have over 500 finds, so you can just run a normal PQ with the options (Ive found) and (I Don't own) selected. This will pull all caches you've found except archived ones, which you'll have to go download the gpx manually.

You could get them all in 3 separate queries, since you have less than 1500 finds, but it would take some tweaking.

That's odd...it NEVER works on the 1st click for me

OK, take some time when it isn't broken, click once and wait for an e-mail. Don't worry about what you see on the webpage.

(Now is obviously the wrong time for that experiment since I have some doubt it's even working now.)

I'm not sure why you're defending Groundspeak on this...do you have some 1st hand knowledge of the issue that you're not sharing? I'm absolutely 100% serious when I say that it NEVER works on the 1st click for me. This has been happening for probably a year, or more (I've been a member for over two years now). Perhaps it has to do with the browser I'm using (IE8)?

There is definitely an issue at the moment. Even the PQs that I received Sunday morning didn't have logs in them (the problem this thread originally reported). So, if I had gotten the MyFinds PQ to run...it's possible I still wouldn't have gotten my Found logs.

I'm not sure why you're defending Groundspeak on this...do you have some 1st hand knowledge of the issue that you're not sharing? I'm absolutely 100% serious when I say that it NEVER works on the 1st click for me.

I consider this defending the truth instead of defending Groundspeak. I do have first-hand knowledge. WHEN THINGS ARE WORKING, I click once and wait for my e-mail. When you say that doesn't work, how long have you waited until you decide it doesn't work?

[The elevator button analogy has been copyrighted by others, so I dare not go there.]

And, "yes", since logs were not included for a 24-hour period, My Finds received during that time were essentially useless. Good thing the My Finds process seems to have failed.

I'm absolutely 100% serious when I say that it NEVER works on the 1st click for me.

Not counting the weirdness of the past couple of days, I have never needed to click the "add to Queue" button more than once to get the MyFinds pocket query delivered. I generally request the MyFinds query once a week, with the exception of some periods when I haven't been geocaching recently. It often doesn't arrive immediately, but it does eventually arrive. In the almost four years I've been caching, I'm guessing I've downloaded that query almost 200 times without ever feeling the need to click that button more than once.

I can't imagine how it could possibly be affected by the browser that's used (this is a Web design issue, not a browser issue). I normally use Firefox, but I've also used IE7 and later IE8 and always gotten the same result.

My question to those who claim they have to click the button several times before they get that query to work: How do you know which button press was the one that triggered the query to work? The Web page gives no feedback as to whether anything has happened until the pocket query has actually been generated in the background (which is really bad interface design), and the query always takes some time to get to your e-mail in-box. What makes you think the first click didn't work? Maybe it just takes a while for the hamsters to do their thing.

--Larry

I know I saw in another thread some time ago someone of power say that everytime you hit Add to Queue button you push your request to the back of the line. I know form my experience that the My Finds PQ takes longer than any other of my PQ's to arrive. Depending on the day and time you hit that button there may be a long line and you may have to wait longer than you do on average. I know once I saw that message I have neve hit it more than once and though it may take longer than my usual PQ it always arrives.

I know I saw in another thread some time ago someone of power say that everytime you hit Add to Queue button you push your request to the back of the line.
Yes, I saw that too. Can't say if that is right, although I can imagine a system design where it would be true.

It does present the amusing scenario that those who push the button over and over are delaying their PQ by doing so.

It does present the amusing scenario that those who push the button over and over are delaying their PQ by doing so.

Back in my days as a college student taking psychology courses, I read about experiments that tried to teach patience to rats in Skinner boxes: The more rapidly the rat pressed the bar in its box to get a food pellet, the longer it wound up having to wait. The rats eventually learned to wait some fixed time interval between presses to maximize how much food they got.

Makes me wonder whether that MyFinds pocket query isn't somebody's 21st-Century version of the same experiment on humans. I'd love to see the research report. <_<

--Larry

My question to those who claim they have to click the button several times before they get that query to work: How do you know which button press was the one that triggered the query to work? The Web page gives no feedback as to whether anything has happened until the pocket query has actually been generated in the background (which is really bad interface design), and the query always takes some time to get to your e-mail in-box. What makes you think the first click didn't work? Maybe it just takes a while for the hamsters to do their thing.

BINGO! Give that man a cigar. It's definitely a bad interface.

When I click the button and the PQ is added to the Queue the button should no longer be available, or there should be a message, as the lack of feedback definitely leads one to believe it's not been queued and we continue to click the button.