Lost my gps today

I managed to leave my gps on the hood of my car and drove 5 miles before I realized what I had done. At least it's been a good five years since the last time I did that.

Drove back looking on the sides of the road (and in the middle) but never did find it.

I figured it must have bounced off road and into a snow filled ditch. If someone did find it they would have to know how to turn the thing on to see my name and cellphone number, provided of course they were decent enough to return it.

Sure enough two hours later I get a call from a guy who picked it up off the road. He said it seemed to be working fine.

Since I am now home and 40 miles away I'll send him a postage paid box to ship it back to me, along with a little something for his effort.

Whew!

Edited by BlueDeuce

I managed to leave my gps on the hood of my car and drove 5 miles before I realized what I had done. At least it's been a good five years since the last time I did that.

Drove back looking on the sides of the road (and in the middle) but never did find it.

I figured it must have bounced off road and into a snow filled ditch. If someone did find it they would have to know how to turn the thing on to see my name and cellphone number, provided of course they were decent enough to return it.

Sure enough two hours later I get a call from a guy who picked it up off the road. He said it seemed to be working fine.

Since I am now home and 40 miles away I'll send him a postage paid box to ship it back to me, along with a little something for his effort.

Whew!

Kudos to the Good Sam

I just added my phone #'s to the "Welcome" screen and added it to my home co-ord note space. I think I'll add them to the battery cover also. Hope I never loose it like I did my cell phone a few weeks ago. :anitongue:

BlueDeuce... Glad to hear you're getting your unit back. I hope the road didn't eat it too bad.

I just added my phone #'s to the "Welcome" screen and added it to my home co-ord note space. I think I'll add them to the battery cover also. Hope I never loose it like I did my cell phone a few weeks ago. :anitongue:

BlueDeuce... Glad to hear you're getting your unit back. I hope the road didn't eat it too bad.

I have heard stories of folks stealing GPSs from cars, looking at the home coords, and robbing the known empty house. Not sure how true those stories are (heard em from folks, not the police or news reports), but it does seem like a likely scenario. Just some food for thought.

I can definitely see posting an email address or unlisted phone number in your GPS, but I would be hesitant to put in my home coords into my GPS and label them as my home coords.

Again, may just be paranoia, and I do prefer to look for good in folks in general, but wanted to pass along this caveat.

Cheers

I did the same thing with my 1st Garmin 60Cx and never did find it. Then I thought I left my 2nd Garmin 60Cx at a cache site, so I bought a Garmin Oregon 200 to replace it when I couldn't find it. Yesterday I found a zippered pocket on the backside of my backpack that I didn't even know was there and I stuck my hand in it and pulled out that 2nd Garmin 60Cx I thought I lost. The pocket is used to store the shoulder straps. Little did I know that I had been carrying it around with me everyday for over a year in my backpack!

I've got a gps that I picked up out in the woods. If the owner had ever marked home coords, or entered his phone number, I'd be happy to return it to him. But he didn't.

From where the track logs start, I'd guess he lives within 5 miles of me. I'm not using it at all. Sad.

Wonderful!

I'm so glad you found my GPS!

I was caching about five miles from your house when I lost it and thought I would never see it again.

Need my address? :anitongue:

I have heard stories of folks stealing GPSs from cars, looking at the home coords, and robbing the known empty house. Not sure how true those stories are (heard em from folks, not the police or news reports), but it does seem like a likely scenario. Just some food for thought.

That's got Urban Legend written all over it. With so many 2-car families, just because one of them is out doesn't mean the house is empty.

I can definitely see posting an email address or unlisted phone number in your GPS, but I would be hesitant to put in my home coords into my GPS and label them as my home coords.

Again, may just be paranoia, and I do prefer to look for good in folks in general, but wanted to pass along this caveat.

Cheers

Just because you are out of the house doesn't exactly mean that your home is empty, does it? Or that you don't have an alarm system or a big, bad toothy dog, or friendly and cautious neighbors. No... sorry, but I don't buy it.

I have done two things to help if I lose my GPS.

1) I used my label printer to print "Return to (cell phone number)" and put that on the inside of my battery cover.

2) Created a waypoint for Home with cell phone number in the name and my first name in the description. The coordinates are actually for the place I would prefer to meet someone to get the GPS back (local restaurant where I know the owners).

My Out&Back has a lanyard loop on the corner. I put a caribeener clip on it and clip it to my belt loop when I need my hands free. I tried a lanyard loop around my neck for a while but either I didn't have the right lanyard cord or the GPS was a little too heavy to do that. Either way, it bothered my neck a bit so I moved to the belt loop.

That's got Urban Legend written all over it. With so many 2-car families, just because one of them is out doesn't mean the house is empty.

For what it's worth, read This and decide for yourself. Mine is set for an intersection not far from home, but closer two state cops houses than mine. :anitongue:

It has happened to two of my clients. Cars got hit at the mall at Christmas, both returned home, 1 had an alarm, that was activated, the other had been hit pretty good by the thief, no alarm.

Got it back in the mail today! woohoo! I'm gonna have to put that guy on my Christmas card list.

Looks like they enjoyed my gps. I have a track log from when I lost it but there are other locations when it was turned on at other times.

I turned it on at the Delaware cache and it looks like I lost it just above Madison street. The little dip above Monroe is a gas station. They went East for about 20 miles visiting a couple towns and then drove back to the starting location. Then back off to the West.

95c0812d-fcb2-48ed-abdc-51e68ea754a1.jpg

Oh, I DNF'd the cache.

It has happened to two of my clients. Cars got hit at the mall at Christmas, both returned home, 1 had an alarm, that was activated, the other had been hit pretty good by the thief, no alarm.

What makes it easier for thieves is if you have a garage door remote control in the car - the removable kind, not HomeLink.

Got it back in the mail today! woohoo! I'm gonna have to put that guy on my Christmas card list.

Looks like they enjoyed my gps. I have a track log from when I lost it but there are other locations when it was turned on at other times.

I turned it on at the Delaware cache and it looks like I lost it just above Madison street. The little dip above Monroe is a gas station. They went East for about 20 miles visiting a couple towns and then drove back to the starting location. Then back off to the West.

Oh, I DNF'd the cache.

Awesome!!! (I mean, about the GPS, not the DNF). I enjoyed the track map, too! Nice touch. Shame the guy didn't hit any caches along the way with it, though.

Amusing story: Bought a used GPSr (which I am very happy with) off our local online auction site. Unfortunately I had difficulty removing the previous owner's name details, and foolishly had not overwritten them with mine. Did a cache and went back to catch a bus. Bus arrived rather quickly and discovered when I got to my next cache - I knew the general location- I looked into my bag and to my horror no GPSr! Before I could report it missing I got an email from the previous owner saying it had been found, got contact details of the finder and rang him. Arranged when and where to pick it up, the finder's home. Arrived at the "GZ" and was greeted by a work colleague's flatmate, turned out that the finder was THEIR FLATMATE so they could have brought it to work for me (now if I had put my name on it that would have happened!) :P and by the way I DNF'ed the second cache, which would probably have happened with or without the GPS as I am still having trouble with that one!)

Edited by robnzh

Even though my hubby has his own, older version of my TomTom, he asked to take mine for the ride in a rental car out of state on a business trip. Since winter was in full swing, I had no desire to go caching, so I didn't ask for it back. I assumed it was in good hands.

The week after his trip, I get a phone call from a stranger saying she had my GPS, only knowing who's it was from the start up screen with my name and phone number. This woman was driving in Cananda, thinking someone was in her trunk because the GPS had been pushed down inbetween the back seat cushions and was too muffled for her to hear what it was saying, but she was indeed hearing a voice! LOL

She finally pulled it out and ended up using mine because her unit, which I don't recall the model, wasn't working for her in Canada.

I remember my hubby rolling his eyes when he saw my startup screen, asking why I put my phone number in there. If I hadn't, he'd be up a creek without a paddle right now!

First name and phone number is all I had in my GPS and I was lucky that an honest person found it.