Center of Nevada Benchmark

CmdrMark

I can't read the stamping on the disk. The BM you found may have no relation to what is written on that Map.

USGS Bench Marks are used for Mapping purposes mainly and they may not be any Lat and Long published for it? I know of no database for USGS marks. They were planning to incorporate in the NGS national database but the project was in need of funding, USGS records are all in manuscript format. It all has to be be manually entered and that would take a long time.

Contact USGS with the location, e.g. GPS lat and Long, what stamped on the disk (not cast into) and they may send you information on that point.

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/nearest.asp?lat_ns=N&lat_h=39&lat_mmss=22.365&long_ew=W&long_h=116&long_mmss=37.545

gives a list the bench marks in the area. None plot to the area marked on the map.

The stamp looks to be "32 JPH" but it returns nothing on a search at

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/datasheet.html

>Personally Responsible for the Recovery of .00244% of the Benchmark Database!<--watch this number!

Not all USGS Bench Marks are in the NGS database. The only USGS marks are those the NOAA, NOS, C&GS or NGS has used for their surveys. USGS is part of the Dept of the Interior and NGS the Dept of Commerce.

fyi

There are are over 100,000+ USGS Benchs Marks, Transcontinential Traverse (TT 40 S etc), Traverse and other mapping points that do not appear in the NGS database. That info has to come from USGS, they have no datebase that I know of. Whenever I needed any info, I had our record techs call USGS and they would dig thru the files and fax us the info. There means of reporting mark condition amount to writing a note on the record and thats it.

USGS mark are archived by quadrangle name, so the lat and long, state and name of USGS map they are located in will get you the info. Go thur their web site but dut don't expect to get all the info you want, e.g. I want all the USGS marks for Nevada?

Sorry if this is hard to read, its a copy of a copy of a copy etc and when I make it more readable, the file size is over 880kb. (only takes 1 sec on a cable model though)

usgs.gif

[This message was edited by elcamino on December 07, 2002 at 09:51 AM.]

A point of interest maybe?

On USGS Marks (only USGS), the letters stamped in the mark are the Survey Party Chief initials. So this mark was set by a crew supervised by JPH. Thats how they marked the BM's.

USGS does not care about desiminating their data. NGS was the one that has plans to put it in the national database. That info was from our State Geodetic Advisor. But, it was going to be a large project that could take years. They have to request all funding thru Congress etc and these kinds of projects are not high priority for funding. He said the data for Michigan alone took up several file cabinets. Also most all of the USGS is on the old 1929 datum and will have to be shifted to match NAVD88.

[This message was edited by elcamino on December 10, 2002 at 07:08 AM.]

[This message was edited by elcamino on December 10, 2002 at 04:13 PM.]