Etiquette Question

mchlmrtn

What do you do if you're closing in on a cache, and see some other cachers a bit nearer to the location? Should you go introduce yourself, and look together, or leave the area and come back a bit later? I'm new to the game, and would enjoy meeting others, but don't want to run afoul of any of the protocols. Thanks!

Edited by mchlmrtn

This is an open game. You can search for the cache if you wish, or come back later. the others may welcome the help, they may not welcome the help. If it's for FTF, and that's why you're there, go for it! First in the vicinity doesn't mean FTF.

Most cachers I've met are friendly. A few are are grumpy. It's just like life. Like the other post said, say "Hi" and see what happens.

From about fifty feet away yell real loud "here it is ! I knew those coordinates weren't right!" Then when they come over, run back to their spot and hope to find it before they realize what happened!! :):huh:

Just kidding. I was trying for a FTF in a State Park near me when a couple other cachers showed up. I saw them kinda hanging back, trying to decide if I was caching or not, and finally went over and asked if they were hunting tupperware. We all laughed and proceeded to hunt together. None of us was able to find the cache, although one of them went back a few days later and found it.

From about fifty feet away yell real loud "here it is ! I knew those coordinates weren't right!" Then when they come over, run back to their spot and hope to find it before they realize what happened!! :):huh:

That is way too funny. I think I'm gonna use that next time. Thanks!!!

I have asked "are you looking for the same thing I am?" The answer was yes, and they had the cache behind their backs. So my find was easy! LOL

Be very careful about when and where you pose that question.

If I do not recognize the person I presume to be a cacher I may hold out my GPS as a mode of recognition. So far I have not had a bad experience when encountering other cachers in the wild.

What do you do if you're closing in on a cache, and see some other cachers a bit nearer to the location? Should you go introduce yourself, and look together, or leave the area and come back a bit later? I'm new to the game, and would enjoy meeting others, but don't want to run afoul of any of the protocols. Thanks!

I introduce myself and ask if it is ok if I join in the search. Nobody has said 'no' yet!

Briansnat (back in 2004) suggested the following procedure:

I believe the standard we agreed on was when meeting another geocacher, one was to yell "Ho, are ye a geocacher?" and the correct response is "Yay I am".

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left hand on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". At least that's the way we do it in New Jersey